GoOrDin
ADHDavid

Atheism

GoOrDin

Pro

Atheism = lack of faith in God.
God/a God "would have"(did) expressed himself in a meaningful way to humanity,

and therefor if you are not a member of the worlds Leading religions, you are an Atheist.
ADHDavid

Con

Since the arguement is simply titled "Atheism", I suppose I am to argue against this line of reasoning? Whatever the matter, I shall accept this debate!
GoOrDin

Pro

GoOrDin forfeited this round.
ADHDavid

Con

ADHDavid forfeited this round.
GoOrDin

Pro

GoOrDin forfeited this round.
ADHDavid

Con

ADHDavid forfeited this round.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
What about minor religions that believe in God? If a village of people are theists, but their belief is confined to their village, how does that make them atheists?
Posted by liltankjj 1 year ago
liltankjj
@missmedic. You raise an interesting premise. I am inclined to agree with you on the argument "Faith rarely agrees with the world around us." my question to you would be isn't that what makes faith unique? We as humans do not understand the observable universe as much as we like to believe. There are things that we can't even fathom explaining, yet along understanding that occupy or world. This point in it's self is what causes people to lean on faith. would you agree?
Posted by liltankjj 1 year ago
liltankjj
I ask because I since a contradiction in your opening argument.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
Does rational thinking require the adherence to beliefs at all?
Beliefs and faiths represent a type of mental activity that produces an unnecessary and dangerous false sense of trust and wrongful information (thinking coupled with the feeling of 'truth'). Faith rarely agrees with the world around us. History has shown that beliefs and faith, of the most intransigent kind, have served as the trigger for tragic violence and destruction and sustained the ignorance of people. Replacing beliefs with predictive thoughts based on experience and evidence provide a means to eliminate intransigence and dangerous superstitious thought.
Beliefs and faiths do not establish "truths" or facts. It does not matter how many people believe or for how many centuries they have believed it. It does not matter how reverent or important people think of them, if it does not agree with evidence, then it simply cannot have any validity to the outside world. All things we know about the world, we can express without referring to a belief. Even at its most benign level, beliefs can act as barriers to further understanding.
Posted by liltankjj 1 year ago
liltankjj
please explain your position better. What exactly are you arguing for?