Jebhunter
byaka2013

Atheism

Jebhunter has forfeited round #2.

Jebhunter

Con

Atheism is pointless. If you are an atheist what's life worth living.
You argue against Christians only to stand wrong. By your standard if there is no God
You have no purpose. Why are you trying to tell Christians that they are wrong. If I am wrong I wasted my life if you are wrong you wasted your eternity . The Bible has never Been wrong with the FACTS of science not the theories. Science is a bunch of laws in our world that we acknowledge and believe in. God makes law there for Science is made from God. The Bible we the first to say that the earth was a sphere. The Bible was the first to give acknowledgement of energy. Of course the Bible called it light. Everything comes from something. It is very hard for our human minds to understand infinity.
Let's play a game. If there is a god and that god was made by another god who was made by another god. Don't you see this is pointless this can go on for an infinity. You see there had to be something in the beginning to make it all. Every thing happens in law and persists. A random accordance can not do that. There had to be a God
byaka2013

Pro

I understand this is your first debate, but typically formatting rules are required in the first round. So, I will just make rebutalls.

"Atheism is pointless"
That is unsubstantiated.

"What's life worth living?"
Plenty. Except instead motivated by some big floating God, I am motivated by my actions and what can improve the world.

"You have no purpose."
If I don't, nobody does. And compared to the grand scheme of things and of the Universe, we really are nothing. The sun alone could fit more than a million Earths inside it[1].

"If I am wrong, I wasted my life. If you are wrong, you wasted an eternity."
This is similar to Pascal's Wager. However, this is not necessarily correct. The above statement ignores all other religions. See my Pascal's Wager debate for more rebutalls to this.

"The Bible has never Been wrong with the FACTS of science not the theories."
By definition, facts cannot be wrong. And theories are not just 'theories'. Gravity is a theory, but you don't deny that, right? And, actually, the Bible has been wrong on several occassions. Of course, this was in another time, but you still made the statement. The Bible has several contradictions [2] and several scientific inaccuracies. These inaccuracies include insects, pi, astronomy, the rotation of the Earth, and more. There's also Noah's Ark, which could itself become a debate.

"Science is a bunch of laws in our world that we acknowledge and believe in. God makes law there for Science is made from God."
No. Using the power of Google search, science is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

"God makes law therefore science is made from God."
God has been defined as a universal law maker. But this isn't proof. If it was, I could make up my own God, like the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The FSM creates laws. Therefore science is made from the FSM. Therefore the FSM is real. This argument can be applied to any deity, and that is the reason it will perpetually fail.

"The Bible we the first to say that the earth was a sphere. "
No. That was the ancient Greeks, who figured it out way before Genesis was written.

"The Bible was the first to give acknowledgement of energy."
Again, with a simple Google search you can find out that that was the ancient Greeks. "The word energy derives from GreekO52;ν^1;ργεια (energy), which appears for the first time in the work Nicomachean Ethics[1] of 4th century BCE."[4]

"Everything comes from something. It is very hard for our human minds to understand infinity."
It is not necessarily true that everything comes from something. I could ask where God came from as he existed infintely according to you, but we'll get into that later. It is hard to understand, but that doesn't mean it's wrong (infinity). What shocks me is most believers have no problem thinking that their God transcends space and time, which is actually impossible by definition. Yet they have a problem with the Big Bang. Why can't our universe's timeline be infinite? Perhaps our birth was the death of another. The Big Bang was the beginning as far as we can MEASURE, an important distinction.

"If there is a god and that god was made by another god who was made by another god. Don't you see this is pointless this can go on for an infinity."
According to Christianity, your God was not made by anything else. He made himself.
Call this a Straw Man, but I feel it must be said. You seem to and probably do think that because of our human and word complexity, there must be a designer. Obviously, this designer would have to be more powerful than us humans. Yet if his power and thus complexity is of a greater magnitude than ours, by your own logic, he must've been created by something. He's so complex, it just has to be that way.

"You see there had to be something in the beginning to make it all. Every thing happens in law and persists. A random accordance can not do that. There had to be a God"

Finally. There are several problems with this. The first is that your argument is entirely lacking support for your beliefs. All you are saying is that the universe had a cause, but there is still no evidence for that being a God, let alone your strangely specific interpretation. Non theistic explanations are more likely, as evidence can be demonstrated (google "cosmic microwave background radiation"). The first cause is logically ridiculous. For example, before the Big Bang, there was no time and space so there was no need for a cause. Quantum mechanics also posits that matter can be arranged from nothing, ie the lack.

I hope you make rebutalls next round, but also hope you can demonstrate some new arguments.

So far, you have used Pascal's Wager, the Cosmological argument, and even a bit of the Teleological argument.

1- http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu...-
2- https://rationalwiki.org...
3- https://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov...
4- https://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by canis 5 months ago
canis
An atheist can not waste his/her life to any believe...