Atheist vs Christian

VillainPirate has forfeited round #3.

So I'm an athiest and I'm looking for someone to try and prove to me why the Christian belief is the right one. Good luck :)

I accept the challenge.

Belief in god grants heaven. If christians were wrong then there would be no heaven and nothing would happen. If they were right, they'd be granted into heaven. If atheist were wrong they'd be granted into hell. If atheists were right nothing would happen. Putting my lot with the christians seems like a better bet than with atheists.

So you're a Christian just so that you'll go to heaven, a heaven that doesn't exist! Think about it this was, if there's a invisible man up there walking around, he must really hate us humans, I mean, mabey some countries are okay but over all the earth is a preety messed up place. And it isn't the belief in God that grants heaven, you go to heaven if you are free of sin, or have made up for the sins you have committed. You're suppost to follow the Ten Commandments and not do the seven deadly sins. One of which is gluttony. And did you know that 2/3 of people are over weight? That means 2/3 of us humans are destined for hell I guess! Do you think the people from ISIS are going to heaven because the believe in God? Do you think hitler would go to heaven because he believed in God? If you awnsered yes to any of those than you need to get your self out of this debate right now. There are millions of religions out there that have a God, so why choose Christianity? Why do people believe in a God who judges people and who punishes those who have done wrong? I mean, shouldn't he forgive people, he "created" them after all. And so I don't want you to sit here saying that you only stick with Christianity for the promise of heaven, when there are so many other religions with a God as well. So here's what I want you to do...Prove to me Gods real!

Atheism is the belief that there is no god. Atheists claim that they are the protectors of rationality and to them, the only way of believing is through seeing. Therefore I will give them proof that is not only true about Christianity but also tangible by explaining why the bible is true. Through that, I will try to explain other things.

The bible is a very old book that has been left unchanged throughout the centuries. There is no denying that it is the best selling book in the whole world. From archeological discoveries to history, repeatedly it is shown that everything in the bible is true and accurate. Take the game of "telephone" for example, people going around in a circle can't even state the same message they began with, without messing it up. Yet the bible has stayed the same. It's message is still the same from hundreds to thousands of years ago. The literary consistency of the bible is amazing.

"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever." -Isaiah 40:8

This was written more than a thousand years ago. How did they know that even today, the word of God would still be the same?
Archeological discoveries also prove that the bible is true. The Dead Sea scrolls match what is written in the Old Testament. The jewish historian Josephus even wrote about some things that happened in the New Testament. Then there's the fact of eye witness accounts. Some books of the bible were written by people who had seen what had happened. People died for the bible. Thousands died for believing in God, do you really think they were dying for something that they weren't sure was true? Even today people are risking their lives to believe. The bible has changed the world globally. What other book has gotten people arguing about ethics, laws, medical practices, etc, of today? The bible changes lives.

"For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." -Hebrews 4:12

And this is the bible and God we are talking about. Can any other book read people's minds? I have proven that the historical accounts of the bible are true from the fact of its literary consistency to the fact that others who are non-Christians accounted things that happened in the New Testament. Even before that, about 300 prophecies stretching over many decades were made about what happened in the New Testament and each and every one of them were fulfilled. No other book can predict the future as accurate as the bible can.

As for why people choose Christianity, a main reason is because of God's love. Here is one of the most well known verses of the bible.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16

God showed us that love through sacrificing his only son, Jesus. Sacrificing Jesus was the ultimate way of showing his love for us. Other gods are portrayed as "aloof" and distant. But God shows us continually that he cares and wants us to be with him. Before God sacrificed his son, people had to sacrifice something on an alter to wash their sins away. God had to punish his people for sinning. But because of Gods sacrifice, we can now pray for God to forgive us and he will.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." -1 John 1:9

The punishment for sin was death, but God promised Adam and Eve when they sinned that there would be a way to make things the way they were. It said right in John 3:16 that if you believe, you will have eternal life whereas other religions may say that you have to do more good than bad to achieve heaven. Don't you think it's amazing that believing in God grants eternal life? Everybody can do this.

As for people from ISIS going to heaven, this is exactly the "Why can bad people get to heaven and good people go to hell?" question. This is a question that many people ask because they care for those who do not know god. Yet this is also a question asked to reassure ourselves that heaven will not be filled with rapists and murderers when we get there. We as humans like to rank sins and that is the first problem. We like to think we are not as bad as a murderer. Yet God sees all sins all the same because no matter what, one sin will separate us from God.

"Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him." -1 John 3:15

"The wages of sin is death..."
-Romans 6:23

Here in these verses, simply hating your brother is the same as murdering. Doing one small little sin is the same as doing a humongous sin because they all have the same end result. They separate us from God and the payment is death. Every person has sinned and therefore their payment is death. A good person may do more good than bad, yet if they have not reconciled with God then they are still rebelling against him. Here's a story from the bible.

Jesus is about to be crucified for our sins and two other men who were criminals would be crucified also. The one criminal mocked Jesus but the other stopped him. He then repented of his sins to Jesus and acknowledged that he was the son of God. Jesus forgave the man and stated that the criminal will see him in heaven.
Here's the full story if you want to read it.

This shows that not only can a criminal be granted eternal life but that God will forgive you even on the brink of death if you just believe. The criminal asked for forgiveness and he received it along with eternal life. How amazing is that?

Here's the full answer to that question if your still confused. Click on the link.

As for Gods existence, I will try and explain how I know God exists. Let's remember the story of Noah's ark. God told Noah to build an ark because rain would be coming to literally wash away the sins and men. But Noah was a righteous man and God wanted to save him. So Noah built an ark.

"Pairs of clean and unclean animals, of birds and of all creatures that move along the ground, male and female, came to Noah and entered the ark, as God had commanded Noah." -Genesis 7:8-9

How could any power but God's command a pair of every single creature on earth to walk onto Noah's ark?

The great flooding also talks about the "fountains of the deep" and the "windows of heaven". Science has discovered great springs of water beneath the earth and the earth was once said to have had a lot denser clouds then we have now. You can see how they would help in the flooding of the earth. The clouds/canopy would have created a green house gas effect and the temperature would have been very warm. And this isn't rain we're talking about when we say the "windows of heaven". This could practically be like saying the whole canopy could have come falling down wiping out everything immediately. Then everything would have turned freezing cold with the greenhouse gas effect gone. That could explain why we have discovered thousands of wooly mammoths stuck in ice burgs perfectly preserved. Then God promised Noah to never flood the earth again on such a drastic measure. He gave Noah a sign of his promise and guess what sign it was? A rainbow.

Let's now talk about Moses and Egypt. Ten plagues were called down upon Egypt. How could those ten plagues happen without the power of God? Water to blood, frogs, lice, flies, cattle disease, boils, hail and fire, locusts, darkness and death. All ten of those had to happen before the Pharaoh let Moses people be free.

Then a truly amazing miracle happens. A pillar of clouds at day and a pillar of fire at night led the Israelites out of Egypt. Who else could have created those pillars? And if that doesn't amaze you, this will. The Red Sea parts freeing the Israelites from Egypt and fulfills a promise that God gave to Abraham. A whole entire sea splits apart so that the Israelite can walk through it to the other side. You cannot deny the fact that there is a power out there that can part a sea. That was not just a freak accident of nature that just so conveniently happened when Moses stretched his hand out over the sea.

Through Gods miracles you can see that he exists.
Posted by DaMagickDragon 3 months ago
"If Christians were wrong then there would be no heaven and nothing would happen"
I consider myself a esoteric Gnostic I find occult magick literature interesting but if you want to argue religion use some real evidence

By the way a lot of the bible was stolen from other sources like Noah ark was stolen from Gilgamesh for example
Posted by Just-Call-Me-PK 3 months ago
VillainPirate, There is actually overwhelming evidence that Jesus did exist. The fact that Christianity is 2000 years old for a start. It is actually accepted from the majority of scholars. There is no good evidence that he didn't exist. "There is only the bible, which was written hundreds years after the events took place" Even if that was true then anything written from now onwards about the first world war or any events over the last few centuries will be lies. The bible is a collection of books written at different times, it also contains eye witness accounts. Yes all men are flawed because of original sin, Peter the disciple of Christ denied him 3 times and I'm sure you have heard of Judas Iscariot (also a disciple of Jesus) who betrayed him. That is why we have the sacrament of confession. God knows we are weak. If you are really interested in Christianity I suggest you study the teachings before rejecting it completely. Your arguments are based on misunderstandings and wrong context.
Posted by TheWaywardWriter 3 months ago
VillainPirate, I'd be absolutely glad to debate with you on the existence of God. If I ever do become your opponent, I wish you good luck and mean no harm.
Posted by VillainPirate 3 months ago
On and I'm starting another debate for you all out there who didn't get the chance to debate this, if you're brave enough!
Posted by VillainPirate 3 months ago

How can I give myself to someone that doesn't exist? There is no proof that he existed. There is only the bible, which was written hundreds years after the events took place, and it was written by man and all man are flawed.
Posted by Just-Call-Me-PK 3 months ago
Con, you have to give yourself to Jesus, and he will give himself to you, that's how a relationship should work. It requires you to put the effort in and not simply expect all the answers to be handed to you. Philippians 2:13, "God is the one, who, for his good purpose, works in you both to desire and to work."

Vi spex, if beliefs are wrong then does it not follow that your statement "beliefs are wrong" is wrong? If you believe it to be true?
Posted by vi_spex 3 months ago
beliefs are wrong
Posted by 21MolonLabe 3 months ago
Well, wish I would have logged on sooner so I could accept it, but oh well.
Posted by Thomistic_Calvinist 3 months ago
I don't think Pascal's Wager does justice to the richness of theistic argumentation that is available.
Posted by SJM 3 months ago
Pascal's wager is flawed because it would only work is there weren't any other religions. Pro is trying to prove Christianity is reasonable, but by saying that nothing will happen if you're a Christian and there is no god. But if some other religion turns out to be true, then the god will be more opposed to an idolater than someone who is ignorant, because as we know, gods are jealous.