Atheists Believe in Mythological Concepts

Atheists believe in mythology

"The giant birds of Native American mythology"

-Cigwe (more commonly spelled Chequa or Chequah) is the Potawatomi Thunderbird, a giant mythological bird common to the northern and western tribes.

-Culloo was a giant bird of prey, said to eat humans and be large enough to carry off a child.

"Terror birds"

"Titanis" giant bird

It was once believed that Titanis became extinct in North America around the time of the arrival of humans, but subsequent datings of Titanis fossils provided no evidence for their survival after 1.8 Ma. Still, reports from Uruguay of new findings dating to 450,000 and 17,000 years ago, would imply that some phorusrhacids survived there until very recently (i.e., until the late Pleistocene); but this claim is debated.

The Water Leaper, also known as Llamhigyn Y Dwr, is an evil creature from Welsh folklore that lived in swamps and ponds.

It is described as a giant frog with a bat's wings instead of forelegs, no hind legs, and a long, lizard-like tail with a stinger at the end. It jumps across the water using its wings, hence its name.

A flying frog (also called a gliding frog) is a frog that has the ability to achieve gliding flight. That is, it can descend at an angle of less than 45" relative to the horizontal. Other (non-flying) arboreal frogs can also descend vertically, but only at angles greater than 45", which is referred to as parachuting.

During an archaeological dig in Sayre, Bradford County, Pennsylvania"a number of human remains were dug up. The skeletons of these artifacts were all anatomically correct for human beings, but they had one odd feature, projections (horns)"protruding"from the skull above the eyebrow. The fact that they had horns and that they would have been seven feet tall in real life provides people with reason to doubt the "authenticity" of these remains. However, this was not the first time skulls like this were discovered. Similar skulls have been found in Wellsville, New York and El Paso, Texas. The remains were sent to the American Investigating Museum in"Philadelphia, were they were"conveniently"stolen never to be seen again.

Another mysterious case of skulls, are the notable Peruvian skulls excavated near Nazca. Similarly to the horned skulls, they were believed to have been very tall, up to nine feet! This odd"phenomenon was also found in Mexico, just as the horned skulls were found at other locations. The difference though, is that these skulls" cranial portion are elongated to an unbelievable extent.

Human skulls with human horns

I went through your links, one by one. I must say they were very interesting.

'The giant birds of Native American mythology' -The link brought me to a site promoting to preserve the Native American culture.

Cigwe, Culloo- 'Thunder is caused by the beating of Chequa's immense wings. According to Potawatomi legend, the gaze of the Chequa is fatal.' 'Culloo was a giant bird of prey, said to eat humans and be large enough to carry off a child in its talons. ' What makes you think we atheists believe in a random Native American tribe's myths?

Terror birds, the Water Leaper, flying frog- I don't get what Wikipedia's news page has anything to do with this.

Human skulls with horns- Some random conspiracy website and another promoting their books.

The only websites not laughable were , which also has no sign of horns, but some elongated skulls which were probably a hoax, restrictions of growth by human intervention or a mutated gene. Either way, natural selection explains why we don't see any more stretched skulls if it wasn't just someone feeding off human curiosity for money.

Also, the ones about Titanis.
Through some searching in the website given by your link (it brought me to a homepage), I find Titanis quite credible. It's the only thing I'd believe in, given your pile of confusing websites. I don't see why it's a myth, other prehistoric flightless predatory birds just like it (phorusrhacids) have been found and it doesn't seem really unbelievable at all.

Also, you just threw a bunch of weird stuff here thinking all atheists would believe everything if there's a hint of science in it. No. We analyze the information, weigh up the evidence and think on our own, and not believe everything we see blindly. I get that the burden of proof rests on your shoulders, and I'm currently waiting for more to shoot down.

The question of our origin or where did everything come from has only two possible answers. Either the universe arose by itself or it did not. If it did then some sort of cosmic evolution must have taken place to account for reality. If it didn"t then there must be a Creator. There is no third option.

POINT: Atheism needs Evolution.

"Richard Dawkins wrote that his discovery of evolution had enabled him to be an "intellectually fulfilled atheist."

-Many people seem convinced that the theory of evolution is based on an analysis of brute facts that clearly prove evolution has been a real process throughout history. As arch-evolutionist Richard Dawkins said:
"You have got millions and millions of pieces of evidence which no reasonable person can possibly dispute."

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world."

-Richard Dawkins

Whale evolution has been the monumental "prover" that evolution is true and real.

The Atheist Mythological creature: The Walking Whale

The best-known protocetid, Rodhocetus is known from two partial skeletons that taken together give a complete image of an Eocene whale that had short limbs with long hands and feet that were probably webbed and a sacrum that was at immobile with four partially fused sacral vertebrae.[3] It is one of several extinct whale genera that possess land mammal characteristics, thus demonstrating the evolutionary transition from land to sea.

The Science behind Rodhocetus

In this video the finder behind Rodhocetus tells about how he figured it had a fluked tail and flippers. This was one of the connecting creatures, a rare intermediate, to show progression of evolution. It turns out, the tail was a guess. The flippers were a guess and dead wrong.

Ambulocetus and Rotocetus

The Science of Ambulocetus Rodhocetus

"Atheism and Paleontology"

What the? What are you talking about? *Turns around and opens palms* Who are you talking to? What- I can't-

I can't connect a single thing you are saying. I see that you've had a previous debate with the exact same topic and combined your points with your opponents'. What are you trying to prove?

Again with the random homepages of random websites and the Wikipedia news page.

I have wasted 9 minutes of my life watching that ridiculous video. Who was the one that posted it, the University of Michigan? No, it was a random creationist who tried to convince everyone that evolution is wrong.

Interviewer: How did you know there was a tail fluke in the fossil since that part of the fossil was missing?
The scientist: We don't have the fossil records, so we don't know whether there was a tail fluke or not, -Obvious video cut-scene- so I speculated that it might have had a tail fluke.

The lady was an obvious actor too. Voters, watch the video and you'll understand. Oh no, better not, it's totally pointless.

Also, I have no idea why you think Rhodocetus is myth. Myth (n): a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.

Rhodocetus has already been widely studied- , and there is so much evidence that backs everything up and yet you are basing your whole beliefs and argument on a single video that was obviously edited with bias. I sense it, oh yes, the feeling. Desperation. You are so desperate into thinking evolution is false that you are tempted to base your entire belief on a missing tail fluke. Heck, there are tons of other evidence that suggests Rhodocetus evolved from a land mammal, and the missing tail section of the fossil might have already been found. Goodness sake, open your mind.

For the debate's sake, you would agree that Rhodocetus exists, unless you are going to argue with all your arguments and sources. It is not a myth then. Rhodocetus is not a myth. Hence all of this is irrelevant.

Any more nonsensical or irrelevant arguments that want some destroying?

Jedd said, and I quote,
"We analyze the information, weigh up the evidence."

The evidence says that death exists, therefore Jedd believes in death. The evidence says that chaos exists. Therefore Jedd believes Chaos exists. The evidence says that Pluto and Jupiter exist. I will now prove they exist. I will also prove that they are parts of mythology.

*Evidence death exists:

Death is the termination of all biological functions that sustain a living organism. Phenomena which commonly bring about death include biological aging (senescence), predation, malnutrition, disease, suicide, homicide, starvation, dehydration, and accidents or trauma resulting in terminal injury.[1] Bodies of living organisms begin to decompose shortly after death. Death has commonly been considered a sad or unpleasant occasion, due to the termination of social and familial bonds with the deceased or affection for the being that has died. Other concerns include fear of death, necrophobia, anxiety, sorrow, grief, emotional pain, depression, sympathy, compassion, solitude, or saudade.

*Evidence chaos exists:

Chaos may refer to any state of confusion or disorder, it may also refer to:

Lawlessness (disambiguation), a lack of laws or law enforcement
Anarchy, lawlessness or a stateless society

*Proof that Death is mythological

Death, also known as the Grim Reaper, The Destroyer, The Hooded One, The Angel of Death, & The "God" of Death, etc. is a common element in human cultures and history. Death is an iconic character throughout the world and is famous for the "Death Touch." As a personified force it has been imagined in many different ways. The popular depiction of Death as a skeletal figure carrying a large scythe and clothed in a black cloak with a hood first arose in 15th century England, while the title "the Grim Reaper" is first attested in 1847.

In some mythologies, the Grim Reaper actually causes the victim's death by coming to collect them. In turn, people in some stories try to hold on to life by avoiding Death's visit, or by fending Death off with bribery or tricks. Other beliefs hold that the Spectre of Death is only a psychopomp, serving to sever the last ties between the soul and the body, and to guide the deceased to the afterlife, without having any control over when or how the victim dies. In many mythologies (including Anglo-American), Death is personified in male form, while in others, Death is perceived as female (for instance, Marzanna in Slavic mythology).

*Evidence that chaos is mythological:

-Chaos (mythology)
In Greek mythology, Chaos (Greek: ]5;^0;_9;`2;), the primeval void, was the first thing which existed. According to Hesiod,[1] "at first Chaos came to be" (or was)[2] "but next" (possibly out of Chaos) came Gaia, Tartarus, and Eros.[3] Unambiguously born "from Chaos" were Erebus (Darkness) and Nyx (Night).[4]

*Evidence that Pluto Exists

-Pluto (minor-planet designation: 134340 Pluto) is a dwarf planet in the Kuiper belt, a ring of bodies beyond Neptune.

*Evidence that Pluto is mythological

Pluto (Greek: Plout!3;n) was the ruler of the underworld in classical mythology.

Evidence that Jupiter exists

-Jupiter is the fifth planet from the Sun and the largest in the Solar System.

*Evidence that Jupiter is mythological

Jupiter, also Jove (Latin: Iuppiter, gen. Iovis), is the god of sky and thunder and king of the gods in Ancient Roman religion and mythology.

Jedd in his "does god exist" debate said, and I quote,
"If there is no evidence that something exists, then it doesn't exist until there is evidence that proves otherwise."

My first burden of proof is to show that death, chaos, Pluto, and Jupiter do exist. I have given evidence that they do exist.

My second burden of proof is to prove that they are mythological. I have given evidence that they are all mythological.

Jedd admittedly says, "once there is evidence of existance.." There is unsermountable evidence that death, chaos, Pluto, and Jupiter exist. Death happens at the end of everyone's life. Chaos is all around us. Terrorism, natural disasters, wars, and the like cause chaos. Chaos is very real. Pluto and Jupiter are planets in our solar system and are cosmological realities, proven to be real by evidence using a telescope.

My next burden of proof is to prove death, chaos, Pluto, and Jupiter are mythological concepts. I have done that.

The final burden of proof is proving Jedd is an Atheist. In his first argument he admitted that he was.

Jedd believes in mythological concepts. Jedd is an Atheist. I have met my burden of proof.

Thank you Jedd for the debate.

You're welcome, but it's not the end of the world, or this debate.

And may I say I'm honored that you have taken the time to read through my previous debates, just like I have taken the time to read through your countless links.

To clear things up, I'd like to redefine 'myth', in a way that a 3 year old can understand. Myth: Fake. Fiction. Not real. Simple enough? And we atheists do not believe in fiction or imaginary dudes.

Also, I have grown tired of your links. You don't have to attach a Wikipedia page to demonstrate there is an idea of a Grim Reaper to win the 'most reliable sources' mark. In other words, you don't have to find a Wikipedia page of an apple to educate us that an apple is a fruit.

Now let me interpret what you are saying, in more bold and honest terms: Death exists. So do interpretations of death. Therefore death is mythological. Chaos exists. There is a myth about chaos, and therefore chaos is a myth. Cranes symbolize immortality because of their longevity in Taoism, and therefore cranes are a myth.

Do you notice how absurd that is? You sound like a 3 year old saying that her imaginary friend has a name, so therefore it's real. That creeps me out in some way.

Yes, we believe death exists. But not the Grim Reaper. Chaos exists, but not its Greek counterpart. Pluto exists, but not on a throne in Hell. Jupiter exists, but it doesn't have a majestic beard and carry lightning bolts. Evidence, observation and logic are true, but don't misinterpret it with fiction, a nickname, or some Native American bird. Truth is real, fiction is fiction.

Your examples, they all exist. But just like any religion's holy texts, they're just barging in and trying to get attention. (If you've read my debate about human morality.)

You have not proven death, chaos, Pluto or anything are mythological concepts, not even close. I suggest you refine a line between logic from myth, reality from fiction. Look up about schizophrenia.

Jedd doesn't believe in mythological concepts. Jedd is an atheist. But you have not met your burden of proof, no, not even close.

Bronto believes myths are real. Bronto is...not proving anything. He needs to know that myth is myth, truth is truth.

Thank you Bronto for the debate.
Posted by Jedd 8 months ago
Posted by canis 8 months ago
Then i do not care about myth. But i like story telling.
Posted by Jedd 8 months ago
Myth (n): a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.

You must be wondering what is with all these irrelevant shout-outs to random animals. I am too.
Posted by canis 8 months ago
What do you mean by mythological ? Any idears.
Posted by Jedd 8 months ago
Posted by brontoraptor 8 months ago
Jedd, we both believe death and chaos exist right?
Posted by missmedic 8 months ago
Nice word "sophistry" I like it, I think I use it. Its better then bull shat.
Posted by RavenDebater 8 months ago
My apologies, but I see no reason to do such a thing. I suspect that a debate with you would be an endless tide of sophistry. No thanks.
Posted by brontoraptor 8 months ago
Then go ahead and debate me
Posted by RavenDebater 8 months ago
I am an atheist. I do not believe in mythological concepts. Therefore, since your resolution extends to all atheists, I win.