Atheists are Good People

Round uno is for acceptance.

I, JDoG will arguing in favor of the insane idea that atheists are good people.

Studies say atheists, believers both do good, but for different reasons
By Kimberly Winston| Religion News Service,May 29, 2012

BERKELEY, Calif. — Atheists and others who don’t adhere to a religion often say they can be good without God. Now, three new studies appear to back them up.

Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley conducted three experiments that show less religious people perform acts of generosity more from feelings of compassion than do more religious people. The findings were published in the current issue of the online journal Social Psychological and Personality Science.

Their results challenge traditional thinking about what drives religious people to perform acts of kindness for others.

“The main take-away from the research is that there may be very different reasons why more and less religious people behave generously, when they do,” said Robb Willer, an assistant professor of sociology at Berkeley and a co-author of the studies.

“Across three studies, we found compassion played a much bigger role in the way that less religious people treated others. Religious people, in contrast, tended to behave as generously as they would regardless of how compassionately they felt.”

At the same time, Willer said, the view of nonreligious people as cold and amoral needs adjustment. “We find that nonreligious people do feel compassion for others, and that those feelings are strongly related to whether they choose to help others or not.”

In short, this study shows how atheists are compassionate. Not in the same way as religious people, however, they are just as caring for others.

Also, saying "Atheists are bad people to be around" is like saying "Brown haired people are bad to be around." Someone isn't automatically stupid, and genuinely unkind by not believing in god.

CLARIFICATION: I am arguing that atheists are good people, and equal to those who believe in God. I am NOT arguing that atheism is the best religion.

You can't prove that study is legit. Wheres the proof? I'm not seeing it! Atheists are horrible people. Conservapedia (peer reviewed wiki) proved this.

Christian apologist Gregory Koukl wrote relative to atheism and mass murder that "the assertion is that religion has caused most of the killing and bloodshed in the world. There are people who make accusations and assertions that are empirically false. This is one of them."[117] Koukl details the number of people killed in various events involving theism and compares them to the much higher tens of millions of people killed under regimes which advocated atheism.[117] As noted earlier, Richard Dawkins has attempted to engage in historical revisionism concerning atheist atrocities and Dawkins was shown to be in gross error.

Koukl summarized by stating: " It is true that it's possible that religion can produce evil, and generally when we look closer at the detail it produces evil because the individual people are actually living in a rejection of the tenets of Christianity and a rejection of the God that they are supposed to be following. So it can produce it, but the historical fact is that outright rejection of God and institutionalizing of atheism actually does produce evil on incredible levels. We're talking about tens of millions of people as a result of the rejection of God.[117] "

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Nobel Prize winner Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn was asked to account for the great tragedies that occurred under the brutal communist regime he and fellow citizens suffered under.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote: " Over a half century ago, while I was still a child, I recall hearing a number of old people offer the following explanation for the great disasters that had befallen Russia: "Men have forgotten God; that's why all this has happened.

Since then I have spend well-nigh 50 years working on the history of our revolution; in the process I have read hundreds of books, collected hundreds of personal testimonies, and have already contributed eight volumes of my own toward the effort of clearing away the rubble left by that upheaval. But if I were asked today to formulate as concisely as possible the main cause of the ruinous revolution that swallowed up some 60 million of our people, I could not put it more accurately than to repeat: "Men have forgotten God; that's why all this has happened."[118] "

Vox Day

In 2008, Vox Day notes concerning atheism and mass murder: " Apparently it was just an amazing coincidence that every Communist of historical note publicly declared his atheism " .there have been twenty-eight countries in world history that can be confirmed to have been ruled by regimes with avowed atheists at the helm " These twenty-eight historical regimes have been ruled by eighty-nine atheists, of whom more than half have engaged in democidal acts of the sort committed by Stalin and Mao "

The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the bloody hands of fifty-two atheists, three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century combined.

The historical record of collective atheism is thus 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity"s worst and most infamous misdeed, the Spanish Inquisition. It is not only Stalin and Mao who were so murderously inclined, they were merely the worst of the whole Hell-bound lot. For every Pol Pot whose infamous name is still spoken with horror today, there was a Mengistu, a Bierut, and a Choibalsan, godless men whose names are now forgotten everywhere but in the lands they once ruled with a red hand.

Is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules sufficient evidence that atheism does, in fact, provide a systematic influence to do bad things? If that is not deemed to be conclusive, how about the fact that the average atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them. If one considers the statistically significant size of the historical atheist set and contrasts it with the fact that not one in a thousand religious leaders have committed similarly large-scale atrocities, it is impossible to conclude otherwise, even if we do not yet understand exactly why this should be the case. Once might be an accident, even twice could be coincidence, but fifty-two incidents in ninety years reeks of causation![119]

I am an atheist. I kill people for fun. Sometimes on the weekends, I sit and eat cake and get fat. I do this while raping someone. I also have dead babies in my fridge that I eat.

Just your everyday average atheist! :D

COME ON DUDE!!!! How fvucking ignorant can you possibly be!!

Being an Atheist doesn't make you a bad person.

Also, in your argument, you gave many examples of Atheists committing murder. You act as if Atheists alone kill people. Remind me again who had the crusades? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Atheists.

Religious people murder just as much as atheists.

Back in the 90's there was a mother who had 7 kids. Ages 13-2. One day. she went upstairs and filled up a bathtub. She called her kids upstairs one by one, and drowned each one separately. And when she was convicted she kept saying "God told me to do it". I imagine it is difficult to drown a thirteen year old kid. Could you imagine. And the 2 year old? A baby!

I feel like throwing up just by thinking about that. God told her to kill all of her kids? A 2 year old man! SH**.

All I'm saying, is that no matter how much you argue against it, Religious people do horrible things just as much as atheists. The only difference, is that corrupted and fvucked up religious people(not all religious people are like this, I know that) use God as an excuse for their terrible crimes.

There are good AND bad Religious people.

Just as there are for Atheists.

Anti-atheist forfeited this round.

jdog2016 forfeited this round.

jdog2016 forfeited this round.

He hay ho vote fooooooooooor me
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Round 1 missing source:
Posted by jdog2016 3 years ago
Maybe not, but people don't need a religion to be well rounded, and morally good.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
Atheism is not religion
Vote Placed by loveu157 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: jdog used both sided views anti-atheist used websites that are made for extreme conservatives. ALso con said some not nice and not respectful things while pro was always respectful and nice.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Both sides are missing rounds. Con began the personal attacks, but pro took the bait and dove in head first. However con COPY/PASTED a rather large round 2 argument (if not true, he may provide his 119 sources for verification). Argument: Pro devolved into massive sarcasm, and while I hate the COPY/PASTED argument and premature claims of victory by con after he missed a round... BoP was never met by pro, due to him getting so side tracked and off topic. Sources: Pro failed to provide a link to his source, which counts against him (plus had I not had to look up the source myself, it could have impacted the argument). All people are good and bad regardless of their faith, but the general goodness was not presented, only that other people are bad too.