Godisreal21
sherlockholmesfan2798

Atheists are ignorant

sherlockholmesfan2798
Started: 10/31/2014 Category: News

sherlockholmesfan2798

Con

I accept this debate. I will keep my arguments until the next round as you have done so. I look forward to an interesting debate. However I would like to elucidate one matter before this debate starts. I am not stating my stance upon religion or god. I am only stating my stance upon whether atheists are ignorant.

Godisreal21

Pro

Ok so if god is real, then Atheists are ignorant. I mean there are so many religions and they ignore that? Argue that Holmes.
sherlockholmesfan2798

Con

I will include rebuttals in this round as you have not stated otherwise.

Arguments

Ignorant- lacking knowledge or information

Atheists - one who believes that there is no deity

The notion that anyone who doesn't believe in a deity (atheist), lacks knowledge or information (ignorance) is absolutely incorrect. When one is to believe something, there are two (basic) methods. Here is a quote from impotanceofphilosophy.com. It states "When accepting a statement as true, there are two basic methods. The first is reason. It is when the known evidence points to the statement being true, and when the truth of the statement doesn't contradict other knowledge. The second is faith. It is when one accepts a statement as true without evidence for it or in the face of evidence against it".

Religion is entirely dependent upon faith. In fact, if you do believe in a religion(specific to the religion, Christianity), then you are ignorant in this matter as you are lacking knowledge or information to support your claims yet you still believe it. Atheists however, have many reasons to believe otherwise. Here is a simple, yet powerful, question which destroys the notion of god. "Can god create a rock that he cannot lift?". It is one of the many reasons why atheists don't believe in a deity. Atheists are informed of these questions and one of the many reasons they are atheists is because of these questions.

Final remark(s)

To state that "Atheists are ignorant" is incorrect as Atheists are well informed upon the matter (which is why they are atheists).

Rebuttals

"Ok so if god is real, then Atheists are ignorant". That argument is dependent upon the validity on the notion of god. You have not proved that god is real, save the next statement (which is weak). Therefore that argument is hollow.

"I mean there are so many religions and they ignore that?". To have this statement be correct, one must believe two things. Firstly, that Atheists ignore other religions. Secondly that Mass belief upon something is evidence of its validity. For the first belief, Atheists are not ignoring other religions. They simply see the flaws in them and choose not believe in a flawed theory. For the second belief, mass belief of something is not legitimate proof of its validity. Here is an example. For years many believed the earth was flat. However there is legitimate proof that shows otherwise. There was mass belief yet it was incorrect.

http://www.importanceofphilosophy.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Godisreal21

Pro

Yea yea fancy arguments dont do anything
sherlockholmesfan2798

Con

My opponent has not rebutted any of my points. He stated that my entire argument is invalid without giving reasoning. This is quite similar to forfeiting and conduct should automatically go to me. My arguments still stand.
Posted by Asburnu 2 years ago
Asburnu
I have encountered few people as ignorant as the instigator, who is clearly confused by the meaning of debate. Zealous rants and slander towards the opposition a debate is not. Perhaps the "Opinions" section was overlooked?
Posted by Lloydro 2 years ago
Lloydro
Actually, the existence of countless religious groups and ideals is an argument against religion itself. It is supremely arrogant to say that you know the origin of the universe, and that you are the supreme beings in "God's creation" when other religious groups are disagreeing- religion itself is clashing, disagreeing, and incoherent. Just lots of people believe a God exists (fighting logic and rationality) does not bring it into existence. Atheism is challenging that, and not just taking things a face-value. So we aren't ignorant. I could easily pose an argument that theists are the ignorant ones.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
men have invented thousands of gods over thousands years and all have been myth. Like Santa Claus teaches, millions of people can all believe in the same thing and all of them be wrong. The central commonality to all world religions is the belief in the supernatural dimension. The only way to experience this supernatural dimension is with your imagination the same place the god idea came from. The more you know the less you believe.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
People that leave there religious faith behind becoming atheist, generally do so because
it's a consequence of what one knows and how one reasons. Religion makes faith a virtue, Claims about faith can be used to justify and defend absolutely anything on an equal " and equally unreasonable " basis. From the objective perspective, rationality is a virtue because it permits us to ground our thinking in reality, which is more conductive to the pursuit of our goals than fantasy. Critical thinking often leads to Apistevist Atheism. The more you know the less you believe.
Vote Placed by Mr.Lincoln 2 years ago
Mr.Lincoln
Godisreal21sherlockholmesfan2798Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm voting for Con because of Pros comments in Round 2
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
Godisreal21sherlockholmesfan2798Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con provides arguments and Pro does not respond to it.
Vote Placed by Zanomi3 2 years ago
Zanomi3
Godisreal21sherlockholmesfan2798Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This is a clear debate. Con had better spelling, used more sources, and was able to provide more concrete evidence proving his side.