harrytruman
markuswashere

Atheists complain too much

harrytruman

Pro

So atheists are complaining about "In god we trust" being on the money, then they complain about crosses being on memorials, what is their excuse for wanting to deface a memorial? They say it is "offensive", because they do not believe in god. So let me get this straight, we can"t express our beliefs because it is not in line with theirs, but they are free to have their beliefs taught in school and we don"t have a right to complain about anything, then they justify this with the first amendment, yeah, the guys who want to abolish free expression of religion justify it by the first amendment. I have a question for you the atheists of America, how did you get "Christians have not right to the freedom of religion and atheism is the state religion" out of "Congress shall pass no law regarding the establishment of a religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". I don"t know about that, but I think that when they say "Congress shall pass NO LAW regarding the ESTABLISHMENT OF A RELIGION, or prohibiting the FREE EXERCIZE THEREOF", I think they mean that, not the opposite.
So how about this "offensive" business, very simple;
"The man of superior mind is placidly composed (calm and orderly), the inferior minded man is in a constant state of perturbation (aggravation; offense)"- Confucius,
So there you go the atheists of America, according to Confucius, you are "INFERIOR MINDED".
So what of the "in god we trust", well congress is not forcing you to go to church or have a specific religion, they are not preventing you from exercising your religion, they are just exercising theirs.
Do you people even know why it says "in god we trust", it was part of the red scare in the 1950"s, communism consisted of the abolishment of religion so congress put "in god we trust" to express how they are not commies. If you do not like it, so what, that is fine, if you guys want to be like that, switch to the Chinese Yen, "In communism we trust", yeah, you atheists would love it there, its atheism and no question about it, unless, you know, you want to go to the Chinese prison from which no one ever returns.
markuswashere

Con

I would like to accept this debate in arguing against Pro's contention, as I will be asserting that atheists are not complaining "too much", at least in a general sense that Pro's examples are describing. I'd like to preface this debate by stating for the record that I am not an atheist, and have a belief in God. I also am of the opinion that government should be secular.

>> So atheists are complaining about "In god we trust" being on the money,

This is a very reasonable complaint to have, just as you may complain if the money said "In God We Don't Trust". We simply do not need references to a deity that a few religions worship, in a country where people are free to have other religious views or to have none at all.

>> then they complain about crosses being on memorials, what is their excuse for wanting to deface a memorial?

I think we can all agree that defacing memorials is not good. However, most memorial crosses are used for each individual person. Therefore it is perfectly acceptable in a secular society for memorials to be marked with religious symbols of the people being memorialised.

>> So let me get this straight, we can"t express our beliefs because it is not in line with theirs,

You can express your beliefs any time you want, just like you are now, and I am now.

>> but they are free to have their beliefs taught in school and we don"t have a right to complain about anything

No, atheism is the lack of belief. You have the right to complain about anything, just like you are now.

>> the guys who want to abolish free expression of religion

Which isn't happening.

>> [Congress is] not preventing you from exercising your religion, they are just exercising theirs.

They are still subject to the authority of the US Constitution, and they are elected by the people, not some people of a particular faith, but the people.

In conclusion, a secular state should provide for the freedom to believe, the freedom to not believe, and the freedom to disbelieve.

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will fight to the death your right to say it." ~ not actually Voltaire.
harrytruman

Pro

I get more flaming from atheists than any other group, I never find a Buddhist saying in crazy, or Shintoists, or Jews, or Muslims, or Taoists etc, the point is, my whole argument is against the atheists that do want to defile memorials, not hear about how good the ones that don't are! As to the dollar bill, congress is not making a state religion, you are not forced to believe in god, congress is exercising their freedom of religion.
As to the schools, you may be right, evolution is not part of the atheist beliefs, however, evolution was made by atheists to provide an alternative to creationism, even if it is even less thought out. I would like to post about how evolution is false, but I already did;
http://www.debate.org...
plus this is beside the point, the point is is that evolution ism is a break off of atheism, how many times do I find a Buddhist, Shintoist, Jew, Muslim, Confucian, etc defending evolution? Never, it is always an atheist
markuswashere

Con

With all due respect, I do not think my opponent is making the best possible arguments for their own point of view.

When you receive opposition from atheists, I would suggest this is because of your inflammatory remarks against them.

Of course the government was freely exercising religion when they decided that every banknote should have a religious endorsement on them. It's a clear betrayal of the separation of church and state principle, just as we shouldn't tolerate banknotes being printed with "there is no God" or "there is no God but God" or any other religious material.

>> evolution was made by atheists

No, science is areligious. It's not religious or anti-religious, it is simply science. Evolution is not atheist. Science is not atheist. Charles Darwin was not atheist, he was an agnostic who believed there was a deity. I'm not atheist and I see no reason to doubt the expert opinion of every single scientist, and I don't personally know any religious person, be they part of a church or simply a follower, that has any dissenting opinion against evolution. It's not incompatible with the idea that we are created by a deity or deities, it is simply scientific fact that is taught as part of science.
harrytruman

Pro

"When you receive opposition from atheists, I would suggest this is because of your inflammatory remarks against them."
Opposition, no, it"s straight flaming and I do not flame, I say it how it is regarless of whether they like it or not.
"Of course the government was freely exercising religion when they decided that every banknote should have a religious endorsement on them. It's a clear betrayal of the separation of church and state principle, just as we shouldn't tolerate banknotes being printed with "there is no God" or "there is no God but God" or any other religious material."
There is a big difference, "there is no god" being printed on the money is just atheist bull crap, "In god we trust" was part of the red scare, and it is just as mportant now as it was then, we have a commie running for president god damn it!
Here is a list of atheists;
Joseph Stalin
Adolf Hitler
Kin Jong-un
Karl Marx
Vladimir Lenin
Mao Dezong
Pol Pot
Nicolae Ceausescu
Slobodan Milosevic
Benito Mussolini
Alfred Kinsey
Than Shwe
Kim Jong 2
Jeffrey Dahmer
Kim Jones
Suharto
Tito
Ante Pavelic
Ho Chi Min
"No, science is areligious. It's not religious or anti-religious, it is simply science. Evolution is not atheist. Science is not atheist. Charles Darwin was not atheist, he was an agnostic who believed there was a deity. I'm not atheist and I see no reason to doubt the expert opinion of every single scientist, and I don't personally know any religious person, be they part of a church or simply a follower that has any dissenting opinion against evolution. It's not incompatible with the idea that we are created by a deity or deities, it is simply scientific fact that is taught as part of science."
Evolution is not science it is a pseudo- scientist used by ADOLF FREIKING HITLER to justify the Jewish holocaust!!!!!!!
markuswashere

Con

There is not much more that I can say, other than to restate what I have already said. I believe I have asserted to the best of my ability what I have described in my first paragraph of Round 1.

>> Opposition, no, it"s straight flaming and I do not flame, I say it how it is regarless of whether they like it or not.

Whether you find it justified or not, you're being very inflammatory to atheists. All I can say is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", and to expect being treated with respect only when you treat others with respect.

A bit off-topic here, but why are you listing Alfred Kinsey among the world's most brutal dictators?

"Alfred Charles Kinsey [...] was an American biologist, professor of entomology and zoology, and sexologist who in 1947 founded the Institute for Sex Research at Indiana University, now known as the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction. He is best known for writing Sexual Behavior in the Human Male (1948) and Sexual Behavior in the Human Female (1953), also known as the Kinsey Reports, as well as the Kinsey scale. Kinsey's research on human sexuality, foundational to the field of sexology, provoked controversy in the 1940s and 1950s. His work has influenced social and cultural values in the United States, as well as internationally." [1]

And now, I will let these quotes of yours speak for themselves.

>> In god we trust" was part of the red scare, and it is just as mportant now as it was then

>> we have a commie running for president god damn it!

>> Evolution is not science it is a pseudo- scientist used by ADOLF FREIKING HITLER to justify the Jewish holocaust!!!!!!!

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org...
harrytruman

Pro

Alfred Kinsey, he was a FREAKING PEDOFILE
markuswashere

Con

A silly assertion.

I have nothing more to add, I rest my case.
Posted by miloisqueer 1 year ago
miloisqueer
The ad hominem pro is presenting is quite ridiculous. He is predisposed to disagree with anything con says.