Coolguy11
scorepit

Attacking skepticism is Anti-Science

scorepit has forfeited round #4.

Coolguy11

Pro

I call myself a skeptic on every issue. I'm not saying all these scientists and politicians are lying but I am saying that they don't have enough evidence to prove certain claims such as "humans are the main cause of climate change." However this debate is not about climate change, it's about skepticism and its place in science. Individuals such as Bill Nye and, I assume, a bunch of leftists call people "science deniers" just because they express doubt on current consensus. So, I think skepticism is actually a pro-science thing to do and belittling people for it is thus an anti-science sentiment. You will argue otherwise.
scorepit

Con

While being critical of certain topics is important being a complete skeptic on every topic is a bit idiotic. There must be a balance between skepticism and belief. Also skepticism itself isn't necessarily pro science. Skepticism can go either way, skepticism can go towards already proved scientific fact or it can go towards highly unlikely theories. The idea that skepticism is always supporting science isn't always true.
Coolguy11

Pro

So you agree being critical of at least some things is important. Why is being skeptical on everything idiotic? Also, this debate is more about people who belittle people who are skeptical, not skepticism itself. I'll make it clearer: being critical of a skeptic is anti-science because it discourages people from finding unknown truths that may contradict current consensus.
scorepit

Con

I agree that obviously you must make sure that information you are getting is in fact true. But there are some instances i'm saying where it's safe to assume what your being told is correct. Like how were causing global warming. I think that skepticism is sometimes important but you should obviously be able to tell which things are probably true. I think that attacking skepticism as a whole is obviously the wrong thing to do but like i said before in my last arguement it doesn't really necessarily tie into science like as if science and skepticism goes together. Also like i said before on occasion there is skepticism of obvious things like how the earth is a ball and not a flat rectangle. Trying to make sure information is correct is always good but being skeptic of every single thing is a bit much. What i'm saying is obviously before telling someone something you have to fact check what your saying but skepticism as in doubt of everything is a bit much. Science does involve being skeptical but once again i wouldn't say they exactly interlink all the time.
Coolguy11

Pro

You said that sometimes it's safe to assume what you're being told is correct, why would that be? On the environment for example, we can be concerned and act like global warming is a problem but if you were a scientist, you may not believe what you're told. History is rife with people doing this; if it wasn't for some scientists saying "wait a minute" and going against the grain we would probably still believe in phrenology, outdated atomic models, and so on. Being a skeptic is what motivates people to do research and improve/alter certain theories, which advances science. You and I basically agree that attacking skepticism in general is not a good thing.
scorepit

Con

Alright i give up, your points are valid. Even though i lost the debate i'm happy because at least i could learn something from you. That was fun, i hope to do this with you another time, have a nice day.
Coolguy11

Pro

And you as well, my friend :)
Posted by canis 6 months ago
canis
I would say science is skepticism..