Attempts to create a "universal language" should cease.

Round 1. Accept the challenge. Optional: share background, share key terms.
Round 2. Standard
Round 3. Standard
Round 4. No New Arguments

Background: Working towards undergraduate degree in communication.
Key Terms: Esperanta, Communication Barriers, "Global Community"

Attempts to artificially manufacture the "Universal Language" should stop. The implications of forcing a common tongue onto the world are horrendous. The idea of a 'universal language' clearly does not understand what communication barriers actually are - they have little to do with not speaking the same language. Universal Language creation clearly values convenience over respecting the beautiful variety of cultures. I am not against a universal language, but it should come along in its own time - not be created and distributed like a company manufacturing and distributing its product.

I. Communication Barriers
There is more to understanding one another than simply knowing what words mean, we should be focusing on improving relations and understanding foreign values " not memorizing words. Did you know that in Spain being exactly on time is not a cultural value like it is in the United States? It is important to stop assuming your cultural values are correct, to stop assuming other cultures are like yours, and to be more comfortable around differing cultural values.
These steps will go much farther in improving international relations than throwing more time and intellectual resources at a universal language.

II. Respect trumps Convenience.
I imagine it would be very convenient for travelers not to have to learn a new language. However, respecting cultures by not imposing a common language on them is more important than the ease of tourists and international businesses. It is not like speaking a different language puts a physical wall between two people. You can always hire a translator, or better yet brush up on some key phrases.

III. Don't Force It
Maybe one day we will have a universal language, but no day soon. All attempts to date have failed and many have been presumptuous. A universal language should not be designed, it should develop naturally over time and include elements and nuances from all the cultures that contributed to it.

As you can see, forcing a universal language to come about for conveniences sake doesn't even solve the problem of communication barriers.
I look forward to the CON's response.

aspire1 forfeited this round.

Aspire1 has forfeited the round.
Here are some general links that might help you.
I pass back to aspire1.

aspire1 forfeited this round.

Huh, not sure why my previous argument became BOLD like that.

Sadly my opponent has yet to respond. Who knows, maybe they'll show up for the last round and crush my arguments! Wouldn't that be exciting?

If not I clearly win by forfeiture. Attempts to create a "Universal Language" should cease. My main reason is that a universal language would not solve communication barriers between cultures.

I was hoping for some clash on this. Anyone else want to debate this?

aspire1 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture. THat bold hurts my eyes.