Queen
awesome

Attending church creates makes a person more relgious and in effect brings you closer to God.

Con Tied Pro

Queen

Con

Although, it is widely known that a church is a house of God, I do not believe that it is the only place where you can be connected to God. In fact, I believe that you can be close to God in any location. I think that the rules of the church are often created by the church "officials" and not from the bible. It is also common that interpretations of the bible can alter your understanding of God's word. Isn't it better to read it on your own and understand what it means to you? Many people feel that they are religious because they attend church every Sunday, through illness and different weather conditions. But isn't it possible that some of these people are just going through the motions? Some people who do not attend church on a regular basis might be seen as betraying the church or simply lazy. But these people who stay at home on sunday mornings might be more religious than those sitting in the pues trying to keep their eyes open. In the bible it clearly states that praying can take place anywhere. It does not have to happen in a group, sitting on an uncomfortable pue, in a church. Moses is seen in the bible praying to God in the middle of field. Then, so too can any one of use be religous and pray to God outside of the setting of the church.
awesome

Pro

As you said, church is widely known as the house of God. If you are in his house, praising him, then you will definitely become closer to God.

You also said that church is not the only place where you can feel close to God. I believe this also. You can feel close to God any place you want, but that does not change the fact that going to church does make a person feel closer to God. Here is why:

1. By going to church and listening to sermons and scripture readings, you may learn more about your religion. Therefore, making you closer to God.

2. Being surrounded by people who all believe in the same thing can help you believe more. Attending bible studies at the church can also help you learn more, and be surrounded by people who care about you. This will make you feel closer to God.

3. Being in the church, the house of God, can make you feel closer to him because being surrounded by his presence is a wonderful thing. That feeling is enough to make you and me feel more religious and closer to God.

Thanks for listening! :-D
Queen

Con

Queen forfeited this round.
awesome

Pro

Okay, my opponent forfeited, so I really have nothing to say. Actually there is one thing. VOTE PRO!! Thanks for reading :-D
Posted by SnoopyDaniels 8 years ago
SnoopyDaniels
I think your perception of my lack of logic has more to do with a lack of understanding of what I'm saying. "Going to the bar on Monday" is what I consider to be a fairly clear euphemism for "getting drunk." None of my college friends go to the bar just to have a couple drinks and leave. My statement "Well, I suppose just walking in and walking back out wouldn't be so bad, but there are few things to be done in a bar which are edifying," is, I would hope, obviously a sarcastic remark designed to illustrate this. Thus, I never meant that the act of walking into a bar is sinful, and have no need to defend such a statement.

I know virtually nothing about AA, but I'm pretty sure that, since AA is designed for people with drinking problems, when they say "every sip of alcohol erodes your fortitude to stop drinking in the first place..." they are talking about people who have a weakness for alcohol in the first place. I sincerely hope I'm not coming off as being on a "high horse." I may not have a drinking problem, but I have other weaknesses.

As to your second point, I'm inclined to agree, which is why I don't drink in the first place.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
Snoopy: you're excused, if you need it. I am agnostic, not Christian, and I use the Primary virtues in place of the Ten Commandments. One of the primary virtues is temperance, which is a total abstinence from alcohol (I don't achieve this by any means btw, I have no high horse to ride on here) and the principle of temperance, when applied to the general populace, is basically that either you are not going to touch the stuff or you are. There is no middle ground. Any AA meeting attender, AODA counselor, or other expert in the area of alcohol will back me up on the fact that once you have one sip of alcohol you already have one foot in the bag because every sip of alcohol erodes your fortitude to stop drinking in the first place... My very wordy point is that you can't play the middle ground on this issue, the middle ground positions you are taking here are getting you in in a logical knot:

1) going to the bar is immoral
-you then concede that it is not, and try unsuccessfully to find the middle ground where you can walk in and turn around or something silly like that, without ever even explaining why it is immoral or heretical in the first place.

2) it's alright to drink but not to get drunk.
-there is no meaningful line between the two and again, you are failing to make a meaningful point by trying to find a middle ground where there is not one. Either you drink or you do not drink... either you smoke weed or you do not smoke weed, no one cares how many hits you take. Your statements would make Bill Clinton into the embodiment of Christ, for hitting the pipe but keeping supreme self-control and not inhaling...
Posted by SnoopyDaniels 8 years ago
SnoopyDaniels
Indeed, he turned water into wine, and I would never argue that it's wrong to drink alcohol, but it is certainly wrong to get drunk.

Romans 13:13 "13 Let us walk honestly, F54 as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying."

And then in Luke 1:15: "For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb."

It's interesting that this isn't the only verse in the Bible that associates abstinence from drinking with coming into the presence of God. The priests in the old testament were commanded not to drink strong drink, for example.
Posted by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
What's wrong with getting drunk?
Didn't Jesus supposedly turn water into wine back in the day? I can't see how alcohol could be seen as a bad thing from a Christian perspective.
Posted by SnoopyDaniels 8 years ago
SnoopyDaniels
Excuse me? How does going to the bar distance you from God? Well, I suppose just walking in and walking back out wouldn't be so bad, but there are few things to be done in a bar which are edifying. Depends on your reasons for going.

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

So long as someone is truly seeking God, God is obligated to bring them to the truth. Unfortunately, precious few people truly seek truth, and simply want to worship God in THEIR way, not God's way. That's all I have to say on the matter.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
An interesting topic.

Snoopy: what reason do you have that going to the bar distances you from God?

I would agree with the pro side of this, but for reasons that probably wouldn't satisfy the church-going readers. I believe that "God" is a slightly/greatly different idea for any of the six and a half billion people in the world, and if any one of them proactively attempts to get "closer" to their idea of God (like attending a church) then who is to say that they are not at all successful by default?
Posted by snicker_911 8 years ago
snicker_911
Okay I agree with both of you. I mean you can learn more about God and love and the Bible if you hear and listen more in church, but I believe you can pray anywhere and God will listen and love you just the same.
Posted by SnoopyDaniels 8 years ago
SnoopyDaniels
While I agree with you in principle, awesome, churchgoing only increases the potential for closeness to God. If you go to church on Sunday and then go to the bar on Monday, I doubt very much that church is having the desired effect, and there are certainly people that do that.
Vote Placed by InkSlinger4 8 years ago
InkSlinger4
QueenawesomeTied
Vote Placed by matthewleebrown14 8 years ago
matthewleebrown14
QueenawesomeTied
Vote Placed by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
QueenawesomeTied
Vote Placed by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
QueenawesomeTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
QueenawesomeTied
Vote Placed by draxxt 8 years ago
draxxt
QueenawesomeTied
Vote Placed by I_am_always_right 8 years ago
I_am_always_right
QueenawesomeTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
QueenawesomeTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 8 years ago
liberalconservative
QueenawesomeTied