Cindela
reachingformore

Attending elementary school should not be mandatory in the USA.

Cindela

Pro

Before I begin my argument, I would like to thank everyone will is participating is this debate, from the people who comment in it, the people who read it, the people who vote in it, and the person who is debating me. I would also like to ask everyone who will vote in this debate to vote based upon the debate itself, and not your own opinions. Thank you

Also before I start my argument, I would like to spell out what I mean by the topic so that there is no confusion as to what we are debating about.

Attending: Going to
Elementary School: Grades K-6
Should not be: Self explanatory
Mandatory: required, and you have to
In the USA: Self Explanatory

Hopefully this will alleviate any confusion that ultimatley comes from different people reading this debate and thinking completley different things about the topic.

Now to my actual argument. First off, I am in no way against education. I just believe that it should not be against the law not to go to school. The government has no business in telling children what to do. It should be the parent's choice whether or not they want their children to go to school. The parents should have the ability to say, I don't want my kid to go to school, and I don't want to teach him/her at home because... There are many reasons parents might not want this, and it should be the parent's choice, not the governments law. I will leave my opponent with this.
reachingformore

Con

Education is a human right. It is also such an important right that it is not to be given to the parents. The reasons are that not all parents have their child's best interest in mind.

For nowadays you no longer need just a high school diploma…it is essential that you have a college degree and just to get into a decent college you need to be on the cutting edge in your class.

So if the parent's would rather have their child do something else such as working for there living than that would be horrible considering the fact that education is a catalyst for development. That is why it is so key to offer education to third-world countries—if it weren't, than why would we be constantly wasting our time?

Thus, it isn't fair for a child who might yearn for the power of knowledge yet denied it because of their parent. It's the child's right to have the same stepping-stone that most of their peers will have. If a parent objects to the way the school system is run than they have a choice of home-schooling their child but if they are too lazy to do even that…then they don't care about their child and obviously incapable of making such a decision on whether or not their child should even have an education.

A parent has a right to make adaptations to their child's education—share their beliefs, take an active part, choose the school, and the choice…but to deny it altogether is a risk for the future. It is like food—the child has a right to eat but the parent chooses what mainly goes in it. The child has a right to education but the parent may choose what mainly goes in it.

This concludes my first argument, and I thank those who have taken the time to read this. I'm also sorry for the delay in this post.
Cindela

Pro

>>It is also such an important right that it is not to be given to the parents.
Just wondering, but since when was the government more qualified to make a decision for children than the children's own parents? You would think that the parents would know the child better and be able to determine what is best for them, not the government, right?
>>For nowadays you no longer need just a high school diploma…it is essential that you have a college degree and just to get into a decent college you need to be on the cutting edge in your class.
And therefore the government should force little children into spending 8 hours a day learning about things they will often not have any interest in or need. For instance, grammar is a subject that is not often liked. Why should children spend 8 hours a day learning about conjunctions when they would most likely never use that knowledge when they exit high school? Also, what if the child does not want to get a college degree? You do not have to have a college degree to get a job. If you think that you do, then you should ask people who work, and see if they have a college degree? Chances are, some of the people you ask will say no.
>>So if the parent's would rather have their child do something else such as working for there living than that would be horrible considering the fact that education is a catalyst for development.
Again, because the parent might not want their child to go to school and might want to teach them something other than algebra, the government should take this right out of the parent's hands and force children to go to school?
>>That is why it is so key to offer education to third-world countries—if it weren't, than why would we be constantly wasting our time?
This is an irrelevant argument because this debate is about the USA, which is not a third world country.
>>Thus, it isn't fair for a child who might yearn for the power of knowledge yet denied it because of their parent.
Knowledge is not defined by how well you know your ABCs. There are many things that you learn outside of school. True, there are some things that you would most likely not learn without going to school, but going to school does not guarantee knowledge.
>>It's the child's right to have the same stepping-stone that most of their peers will have. If a parent objects to the way the school system is run than they have a choice of home-schooling their child but if they are too lazy to do even that…then they don't care about their child and obviously incapable of making such a decision on whether or not their child should even have an education.
In today's world, there are many different ways to attain knowledge. You do not always have to have someone teach you for you to learn. An education does not have to be attained in a classroom. It can be attained on the computer, through books, etc. There are many different media for information to be transfered.
>>A parent has a right to make adaptations to their child's education—share their beliefs, take an active part, choose the school, and the choice…but to deny it altogether is a risk for the future. It is like food—the child has a right to eat but the parent chooses what mainly goes in it. The child has a right to education but the parent may choose what mainly goes in it.
I am in no way saying that parents should force their children to not have an education in a classroom. I am saying that parents should have the right to not take their children to school, not that they should have the duty to pull them out and not teach them. Also, a lot of the time when the parents volunteer, they do what the school wants them to do, not what the parent wants to do.

I am done refuting all of your arguments, and now I will move on to my own argument.

Like I said earlier in my first post, education should not be something forced upon children. If the child would like to go to school, it should be up the indivudual child. Not the government. The crux of my argument is that it should not be the government's job to make sure that children go to school. It should be up to the individual child and his/her parents. You don't force people to learn. Anyone who has taught children knows that you don't just throw information at children and hope that they can figure out what you are saying. That is ineffective and frustrating for the child when they do not understand, and it is frustrating for the teacher when they find out that they are not teaching the child effectivley. Likewise, the government should not force children to go to an environment where they may not be comfortable. It is not the government's job to do so. It is either the child's or the parent's job.

Thank you
reachingformore

Con

reachingformore forfeited this round.
Cindela

Pro

Nothing new here, just scroll up for my previous arguments. This can be a 2 round debate. I have no problem with that.
reachingformore

Con

reachingformore forfeited this round.
Posted by burningpuppies101 9 years ago
burningpuppies101
i don't mean this in a bad way, but why is this debate tied??? I successfully refuted all of my opponent's points, she failed to refute mine, and SHE FORFEITED THE LAST TWO ROUNDS. How is it tied?
Posted by reachingformore 9 years ago
reachingformore
This is a crappy excuse, but I forgot all about this until it was too late. I have CX-debate districts this coming up week and everything has been slipping my mind.

I'm sorry Cindela, I wasn't much of an opponent.
Posted by DoubleXMinus 9 years ago
DoubleXMinus
There are many ways of getting out of the requirement that your child goes to school. Especially if that environment makes them uncomfortable.

If, for some unGodly reason, you were opposed to your child going to school and you didn't want to teach them yourself -- there are lots of home schooling programs you can sign your kid up for and then simply let them stay home all day and do nothing.

These programs are even more attainable (and manipulatable) if you can get a note from the child's psychologist or if they're on any kind of medication for... heh, anything you can imagine.

*Shrugs* So why not keep the system just as it is? It helps parents to make their children go to school who don't like to on one hand, and it's easily manipulated for parents who don't want their children to go to school on the other.
Posted by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
Who would have voted for con? She only posted once.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Cindela, you'll have to forgive me for denying your challenge. Other people have taken this up and it's simply not of my policy to debate when there are others on the topic. Besides, I'd be too tempted to borrow other people's arguments. :D
Posted by crazypenguin 9 years ago
crazypenguin
Hey me three. i wanted to do this topic to :((
Posted by Ozymandias 9 years ago
Ozymandias
Heh, me too. I had clicked to try to take it when it was still open, but I got beaten to it! :(
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Darn. And here I was about to take this one. :(
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
CindelareachingformoreTied
Vote Placed by Cindela 8 years ago
Cindela
CindelareachingformoreTied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
CindelareachingformoreTied
Vote Placed by sagarous 9 years ago
sagarous
CindelareachingformoreTied
Vote Placed by burningpuppies101 9 years ago
burningpuppies101
CindelareachingformoreTied
Vote Placed by sdcharger 9 years ago
sdcharger
CindelareachingformoreTied
Vote Placed by reachingformore 9 years ago
reachingformore
CindelareachingformoreTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
CindelareachingformoreTied
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 9 years ago
GaryBacon
CindelareachingformoreTied
Vote Placed by righty10294 9 years ago
righty10294
CindelareachingformoreTied