Mino
JinyoungLee

Automation will completely be able to pilot aircraft within the next 50 years

Started: 4/13/2013 Category: Technology

Mino

Pro

My first debate, so cut me some slack if its mediocre.

I will be arguing that, within the next fifty years, airliners will be piloted without the use of pilots. Autopilot with completely take over the piloting of an airliner. The US military is already using drones for surveillance. With today's technology, yes, it's not possible. But Moore's Law has been true so far, hasn't it? If we continue on this current level of technological advancement, I think that automation will most definitely be able to pilot an airliner across the Atlantic and handle any situation that disrupts the airliner's path.

Source(s) IEEE Spectrum Magazine, January 3, 2012, Page 38
JinyoungLee

Con

hello, This is my first debate too! It's very exciting for me to talk about aircraft. Automation of aircraft is not impossible, it is just that automation will not be able to completely pilot aircraft. Because there always will be problems no matter how many years later like emergency landing, turbulence, or when unexpected situation happened it will still take human to decide and tell the aircraft to do things, as computer can not think but it does what it is told to and it will be the same within the next 50 years or forever. Here is a website that contains information of accident that happened due to flight management computer system's (which is designed to automatically guide aircraft to the destination) problem. http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de...
Mino

Pro

Mino forfeited this round.
JinyoungLee

Con

JinyoungLee forfeited this round.
Mino

Pro

Mino forfeited this round.
JinyoungLee

Con

JinyoungLee forfeited this round.
Posted by Mino 4 years ago
Mino
That's a good point. For the person who is going to accept my debate, let us assume that piloting means that the aircraft flys the normal patterns and altitudes it would with a human pilot today.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 4 years ago
ishallannoyyo
Well, piloting an airplane could technically be getting it a couple feet off the ground...
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
Good luck on your first debate.
If I remember correct current drone law forces the need for trained pilots on any aircraft which has any passengers (even if that pilot might be as a backup system). However in 50 years with legal advances, such might be forsaken.