kaylastep
airmax1227

Autumn Is The Best Season

airmax1227

kaylastep

Pro

I believe that fall is the best season out of them all. This is due to the weather, the season, and special celebrations that occur in the fall season.
airmax1227

Con

Summer is the best season. There is baseball, warm weather, potentially vacation time, and women tend to wear less.
kaylastep

Pro

Actually Autumn is the better season. I will now expand on my thoughts as to my reasons for why I selected Autumn. Also, I'd like to point out that my opponent decided to take a rather offensive, irrational decision as to why summer is better then autumn. Therefore, that last remark should not count as being one of significance.

First off, I believe autumn is the best season due to the weather. Out of all the other times of year, the weather is most pleasant. Its weather ranges from approximately 50 degrees to 75 degrees. This weather is most comfortable. We can go outside in just a t-shirt or only having to wear a light sweater or jacket. Also, people are not dripping wet from sweating as they would if it were summer. They aren't drenched in water because of the consistent rain we get during the spring. Most of all, they aren't freezing cold, getting frostbite and pneumonia from the frigid winter.

Also, within autumn, there are some of the greatest moments and holidays. During fall, students are starting or returning to school. Halloween is in October for all children and adults to have a great time dressing up in costumes, having parties, and going trick-or-treating which makes a wonderful time for families to also have some bonding time together. Furthermore, Jewish people have Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah to celebrate in the month of September. For Catholics, we have All Saints and All Souls Day in November as religious holidays. Last and most highly recognized of all, we have Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is one of the most sincere, heart-felt, family/friend-oriented holidays. We learn to share with those who are less fortunate and give thanks for the things we do have rather then dwell on the things we desire to possess. It is in fact a day that makes the fall such a special time for all.

My final primary reason for why I feel fall is the best season is because during autumn we have the best scenery to observe. The beginning of fall is the most beautiful time in nature to take photographs and explore nature. The trees are all losing their leaves slowly. However, the amazing bright colors of red, orange, green, and brown are absolutely breathtaking. There is no greater visual then to be driving around the side of a mountain and overlooking across you spot another mountain and all you see is thousands of colorful trees. It is a lovely sight.
airmax1227

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate.

I will first rebut a few of my opponent's reasons for liking autumn, followed by reasons why autumn is not a good season. I will then conclude with reason why some other season is better.

"…Autumn is the best season due to the weather."

"Its weather ranges from approximately 50 degrees to 75 degrees."

And that weather range may occur over the course of just one day. It's cold in the morning then it could be hot in the afternoon. It can make it tough to plan for the day as well as making many people uncomfortable. The weather is also dependent on location.

In the Midwest Autumn means it could be 70 degrees one moment, and snowing the next. Autumn is a very inconvenient season.

"…There are some of the greatest moments and holidays"

I'll concede to this point my opponent makes. But it requires that one like holidays and not everyone does.

"Jewish people have Yom Kippur"

In the 28 years I've been Jewish I have not once heard anyone say they were excited for Yom Kippur.
For those who aren't aware, Yom Kippur is ‘a day of atonement'. It's essentially a period of 25 hours where everyone who is able, must fast. Most of the time is spent praying with the understanding that we are being judged for our deeds of the past year. It's a very serious holiday without much celebration.

So autumn rather, is NOT one of the best seasons, because of Yom Kippur. [1]

"…We have the best scenery to observe"

My opponent is correct that autumn brings nice stuff to look at. (Even if not as nice as the stuff during summer, mentioned in my opening round)

But underneath all that niceness are reasons that make autumn not a nice month and so I will begin various points why autumn is not a nice season:

Spiders and mice begin their mating season. (But not with each other)

Leaves are piling up everywhere.

Wet leaves get tracked around everywhere and need to be cleaned.

Gutters need to be cleaned out.

Winter is looming.

School is beginning.

It's warm then its cold.

It's cold, then its warm.

Many colors may be offensive to the color blind.

Yom Kippur.

No Christmas, Hanukah, or Kwanza.

Canada geese spread former meals indiscriminately throughout the land.

*Summer is the best season because*:

I can dress for it to be warm the entire day.

I can go to the beach without it likely being 40 degrees by the end of the day.

Vacation.

People can wear fewer clothes.

No Yom Kippur.

It's warm.

Baseball.

Ramadan.

There's nice stuff to look at.

NFL minicamps begin.

The sun provides free tanning.

It's rarely icey, or snowing.

Gas prices go up. (For the Communists who like that sorta thing)

Hobos are more comfortable.

Hippies start occupying parks and private property, creating free entertainment for onlookers who can watch them getting tasered and arrested.

I'll leave it there for now. I'd like to thank my opponent, and anyone reading this debate.
kaylastep

Pro

Your welcome for the debate.

I will rebut my opponent's stances and explain further as to why mine or still valid.

"It's cold in the morning then it could be hot in the afternoon…The weather is also dependent on location…In the Midwest Autumn means it could be 70 degrees one moment, and snowing the next."
Summer is exactly the same in this perspective. Depending on the location of a person, it could be comfortably being between 75 and 85 degrees or it can be scorching hot at 90-100+ degrees. The variation occurs in any season. However, my claim is that any temperature between 50 and 70 degrees is rather comfortable. It can rain in any season also, so that is irrelevant. Regarding snow, this only occurs towards the end of the season because winter comes next in the cycle.

No, not everyone like the holidays. But as a whole, there are more people who celebrate the holiday's then people that don't which are why during these holidays, the stores are packed with people and the stores make so much profit around the holidays compared to other days throughout the year.

"So autumn rather, is NOT one of the best seasons, because of Yom Kippur."
The reason my opponent gives and explanation behind why Yom Kippur is not a festive holiday is very opinionated. In his particular household, they may not celebrate it much. However, others may. Therefore, this is not warranted as refuting my claim about the numerous holidays during the season of autumn.

"…We have the best scenery to observe"

"My opponent is correct that autumn brings nice stuff to look at…But underneath all that niceness are reasons that make autumn not a nice month…"

First off, just to clarify, autumn is not a month. It is a season as my opponent incorrectly points out. To further my argument, I too will list all the benefits to why fall is a better season. There are many opportunities in the fall as there are in the summer. However, most would agree that the weather is much more complimentary. We do a lot of the things we do in the summer to avoid the boredom of the summer since there's no school, to stay cool, or to waste hours of daylight for we have nothing constructive to do.

First Day of school is a great experience for those who actually like school.
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Making scarecrows
Playing in the leaves outside
Sweatshirt/Hoodie Weather
Pick Apples
Carve a Pumpkin
Bake Pumpkin Bread or Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies
Volunteer as a screamer at your local haunted house
Go on a hayride
Brew cider
Go kayaking/rafting
Make chili and invite neighbors over to watch football on TV
Build a fire and snuggle at night
Plant bulbs for spring
Take a road trip
Organize a neighborhood bonfire
Attend your high school's homecoming game and parade
Spirit Week at School
Go Camping

All of these things are fun to do during the fall that people don't recognize.
airmax1227

Con

I'd like to withdraw the appreciation offered to my opponent for this debate.

"50 and 70 degrees is rather comfortable"

This is rather opinionated of my opponent. Comfort is subjective.

"…not everyone like the holidays"

As my opponent says, not everyone likes holidays. Therefore some might prefer summer and its fewer holidays.

"…the stores are packed with people and the stores make so much profit"

While my opponent and I fully agree that profit is what makes the world great, winter is better for this than autumn. Christmas is in winter and very profitable. So are the Super Bowl, NHL finals, and curling.

"In his particular household, they may not celebrate [Yom Kippur] much"

"However, others may."

Yom Kippur is a holiday recognizing the period set for atonement and judgment. Jewish observation of Yom Kippur is in recognition of being judged for sins of the year. It is a 25-hour long fast, in which one cannot drink or eat (hence fast).
There is nothing the least bit festive about it. It is not a celebration in any conventional sense, and its tone is closer to that of a funeral.

If my opponent can give any examples of a Yom Kippur ‘celebration' that is not how I've described, I'll consider altering this argument. However, since Yom Kippur is exactly the same across all spectrums of Judaism (with the exception of not observing it at all) this argument is rock solid.

So, autumn is a worse season than summer, winter and spring, because of Yom Kippur.

Purim on the other hand is a Jewish holiday that consists of mandatory drinking, (being drunk is a requirement) and it's in spring. So autumn is lame, and spring is groovy.

"First off, just to clarify, autumn is not a month"

As my opponent points out, autumn unfortunately lasts longer than a month. This season must be stopped before it's too late.

"We do a lot of the things we do in the summer to avoid the boredom of the summer since there's no school, to stay cool, or to waste hours of daylight for we have nothing constructive to do."

As my opponent established earlier, there is never a bad time to make a profit. Summer is perfect for this. By the time I was 9 years old I was selling lemonade in the ghetto at a 200% mark up.

Autumn is a bummer because people are less willing to purchase over priced lemonade, restricting entrepreneurial children's desire to make massive untaxed profits.

I'd like to add that anything that can't be proven in a 3 or 4 round debate is likely too needlessly complex to be true, hence this 5 round debate.

As for the list my opponent concludes with, everything on that list that is fun can be done during summer, spring, or winter, and for more profit.

Autumn is clearly the worst season of the year.
kaylastep

Pro

It's fine. I am not here to feel appreciated by a complete stranger. I am here to debate my argument.

"Comfort is subjective."

Yes comfort is subjective. However, so is my opponent's comment on hobos. He cannot know what a hobo feels happier about unless he has been one or spoken with one. I say comfortable weather because majority of people like summer until it gets uncomfortably hot where we get weather warnings to stay indoors near an AC to keep cool. This doesn't happen in Autumn.

"…not everyone like the holidays"

My opponent cut off my full claim and only used one sentence to make it state what he wanted to manipulate my comment. The full comment was that, "No, not everyone like the holidays. But as a whole, there are more people who celebrate the holiday's then people that don't which are why during these holidays, the stores are packed with people and the stores make so much profit around the holidays compared to other days throughout the year."

"While my opponent and I fully agree that profit is what makes the world great, winter is better for this than autumn."

Actually Thanksgiving, Halloween, and school shopping for all kids and young adults from elementary school up to college is highly profitable which takes place during the early Fall when they get their list of school supplies from their teachers/professors.

"Yom Kippur is a holiday recognizing the period set for atonement and judgment. Jewish observation of Yom Kippur is in recognition of being judged for sins of the year. It is a 25-hour long fast, in which one cannot drink or eat (hence fast). There is nothing the least bit festive about it. It is not a celebration in any conventional sense, and its tone is closer to that of a funeral."

They all seem very joyous and happy as they sing together and dance in honor of Yom Kippur on Wall Street amongst the occupiers on Wall Street. Therefore, I can't see how it isn't a happy time for Jewish families. My opponents experience was different then other Jewish people.

Autumn is an amazing season. The claims and major points my opponent points out are very perceptional. Autumn is an amazing season.

Fall festivals with hay rides, pumpkin picking, candied apples, apple picking, fall crafts, fall decorating are a whole lot of fun. Also, we bake in the Fall. During the summer, nobody is baking anything because of the treacherous heat. By putting the oven on would just make it even hotter in people's homes. So, in summer you miss out on apple pie, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, chili, casseroles, macaroni and cheese, etc.

Also, for the thousands of people who struggle with breast cancer, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month which makes Fall a really amazing season because so many people have known someone or been inflicted themselves with this illness.

Autumn is a heart-warming season.
airmax1227

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for this debate.

"Yes comfort is subjective. However, so is my opponent's comment on hobos."

Everything is subjective in this debate. My opponent's opinion is that autumn is the best season, and mine is that it isn't.

"He cannot know what a hobo feels happier about unless he has been one or spoken with one"

I live in a city with lots of Hobos (Milwaukee). They mostly migrate south and come back for the summer, indicating their preference not to freeze during the Milwaukee Autumns.

"as a whole, there are more people who celebrate the holiday's then people that don't"

I suppose its subjective then. People like stuff, food, and hanging out with family, something the Christmas holiday (and winter season) accommodates to maximum efficiency, given that most people have time off.

Arguments pertaining to Yom Kipper:

"They all seem very joyous and happy as they sing together and dance in honor of Yom Kippur"

They are actually dancing in honor of the occupy movement. What you see in these videos has nothing to do with Yom Kipper and in no way reflects anything to do with the holiday. This is a political event involving Jews, incidentally taking place on or around Yom Kipper.

"I can't see how it isn't a happy time for Jewish families"

It's not an unhappy time per se'. It's simply not a time for dancing and merriment. Naturally there are many ways to observe this holiday, but the theme is solemnity in the face of eternal judgment.

The holiday is however considered the holiest of the Jewish year, and in this sense brings meaning to those who recognize the spiritual importance. Whether this is internalized as joy or not, is obviously subjective. But I'm confident most Jews are happy it only comes but once a year.

"for the thousands of people who struggle with breast cancer, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month"
Breast cancer is a serious issue and it's great that October is a national month for awareness of it.

March is self-harm awareness month.

April is jazz appreciation month.

May is Cystic fibrosis awareness month, Haitian heritage month, borderline personality disorder month, asthma awareness month, national guide dog month, Jewish American heritage month, social media month, among others.

June is Caribbean American heritage month.

And July is national Vehicle theft protection month.

So other months gives us lots of events creating awareness, making it better than autumn.

I would like to once again thank my opponent for this debate, and look forward to her final arguments.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
kaylastep

Pro

"Everything is subjective in this debate. My opponent's opinion is that autumn is the best season, and mine is that it isn't."

First, I'd like to point out that this debate was meant to be subjective. The point of me opening such an argument was to see just how convincing one could be in a debate of such. I think with the topic at hand my opponent has defended his stance very well.

"They mostly migrate south and come back for the summer, indicating their preference not to freeze during the Milwaukee Autumns."

Well, these hobos that you know in Milwaukee may migrate because in NY the average temperature during Fall is 65 degrees in the day and 50 degrees at night. Both of those temperatures are rather adequate if you live up north. So, yes I do believe it depends on your location where one would stand on this debate.

"I suppose its subjective then."

Yes, it is highly subjective whether people enjoy the holidays or not especially during the Fall. However, a large portion of people enjoy celebrating them.

"This is a political event involving Jews, incidentally taking place on or around Yom Kipper."

This video is not a political movement. If it was, there wouldn't be only Jews on Wall Street. Jewish people came on their holiday to bring joy and happiness and their support to those on Wall Street by bringing Yom Kippur to them. That is why they are all singing and dancing in their language.

"The holiday is however considered the holiest of the Jewish year, and in this sense brings meaning to those who recognize the spiritual importance. Whether this is internalized as joy or not, is obviously subjective. But I'm confident most Jews are happy it only comes but once a year."

Being that Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the year for Jews, it should be a very special day whether or not there's a huge celebration. It is of high significance which makes it an important time during the Fall for Jews.

"Breast cancer is a serious issue and it's great that October is a national month for awareness of it."

In September, we have Suicide Prevention Week. November is American Diabetes Month as well as National Alzheimer's Disease Month. December simply is the month of Christmas which all look forward to each and every year.

http://www.pcihealth.edu...

During Autumn, it is a much more festive time then it is in the summer. The summer brings financial burdens on many families for they have to find babysitters, daycares or day camps to bring their children so that they may have a more productive summer and they can work. It gets very expensive though. Also, many parents have to spend lots of money to keep the AC running because of the blazing hot days and sticky, humid nights. They have to buy their kids and themselves new wardrobe for the new season because their spring clothes are too heavy. Also, there are increased crime rates during the summer time compared to during the spring time because of the increased amount of idle time given to young adults. Also, young adults are getting pregnant in the summertime much more often because of their rushing hormones and it is the season for many teenagers to become much more sexually active due to all of their free time and lack of parental supervision during the day. It's a season which teenagers call "summer love."
airmax1227

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate. It has been an interesting and fun and experience and I'd like to apologize to my opponent if she feels I have not taken her passion about autumn seriously.

I believe my opponent has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that autumn is her favorite season. There is no doubt whatsoever that my opponent feels that autumn is the best season, and that all seasons are weaker by comparison.

But does this make autumn the best season?

Well its clearly dependent on whom you ask. My opponent has given many reasons why she enjoys the season, but not everyone feels the same way. Furthermore, many of the reasons my opponent cites have something comparable in other seasons. Events, holidays, opportunities and entertainment are available year long, and while my opponent enjoys those that specifically happen during autumn this does not equate to it being considered the best season by anyone other than her.

Summer, winter, and spring have many great features about them, similar events, holidays and opportunities for fun or lack of fun. Naturally what makes these seasons great is going to be different for every individual and proving one is better than any other is nearly impossible.

"This video is not a political movement."

It's an occupy Wall Street event, which is a political event. That it involves Jews naturally often means it'll have something to do with their spirituality, in this case manifested in dancing and singing, common for Jewish gatherings.
The fact that certain things taking place are specific violations of the holiday (like playing musical instruments) makes me believe this took place before or after the actual holiday. It also seems likely this is a celebration of THE END of the holiday, making my point that people are happy that it's finally over.

"It is of high significance which makes it an important time during the Fall for Jews."

The anniversary of 9-11 is a significant time in the US. But I don't anyone looks forward to September because they can memorialize a terrible event. The holiday being important does not equate to it being looked forward to, or enjoyed.

"December simply is the month of Christmas which all look forward to each and every year."

This is a great point by my opponent. Winter is clearly the best season. I don't personally celebrate Christmas, but as established, I'm a big fan of profits.

"It's a season which teenagers call "summer love.""

My opponent makes a general point degrading the quality of summer because teenagers are irresponsible and often stupid. What can be blamed on bad parenting, and poor personal choices should not be blamed on a season.

If teenagers are bored during summer they should find something to do. There is a whole world out there with lots of stuff to do and profits to be made. That our teenagers have not yet developed an entrepreneurial spirit should instead be blamed on autumn, when they learn that work (raking up leaves) is a pain in the butt. Therefore all the problems associated with summer that my opponent cites could perhaps be blamed on autumn.

If autumn were truly the best season certainly close to a majority of people would feel this way. So lets take a look at some random polling data…

http://www.rasmussenreports.com...
This poll shows 31% like summer
29% Spring
26% Fall

Here is a random unscientific poll on a blog with 40 votes…
http://blog.travelks.com...

40% say spring
35% say fall

I'm surprised by the lack of polls I found on this subject, but one thing that seemed very consistent is that most people did not reply that Fall/Autumn was their favorite season.

If autumn were really the best season, wouldn't more people feel this way?

I'd like to once again thank my opponent and wish her well on all her future debates and endeavors.

Thanks to everyone who read the debate.
Posted by kaddish 4 years ago
kaddish
people like to vacation to a warm place when its cold to be correct
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
For subjective debates, the instigator needs to set up at the outset a criteria for what is better, a condition of "preponderance of evidence" for judging, and the setting of the debate -- in this case, the geography where the comparison is made. It tough to get this type of debate framed so a Pro loss is not automatic due to filure to meet the BoP.
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
pro actually debated! and pretty well too.
Posted by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
C'mon guys, give her another chance, at least she doesn't forfeit everything like her last account.
Posted by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
"Summer is best because of warm weather"
And how is that good? The dreaded heat kills me.
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Cons last point basically wins him the debate
Posted by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
Wow. You mad bro?
Posted by kaylastep 5 years ago
kaylastep
To all who are stalking me on this website, go to hell! thanks. have a nice day jerks. im glad im such a popular topic for the two of you.
Posted by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
The Inbetween, a period of misidentification between two seasons where there are signs that a certain season has come, but signs that the season has yet to change.

THAT'S the best season xD
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
spring
Vote Placed by mee2kool4u369 5 years ago
mee2kool4u369
kaylastepairmax1227Tied
Reasons for voting decision: cause i wanted to
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
kaylastepairmax1227Tied
Reasons for voting decision: What Con needed to say was that which is better depends upon the individual's taste and needs, and therefore Pro cannot meet the BoP. Con fooled around endlessly, but I think finally made the point that it's all subjective. Con lost conduct for gratuitous insults; debaters need to stick to the topic. My view is that Fall is better in the Eastern US, while Spring is better in the West; but that's subjective.
Vote Placed by Multi_Pyrocytophage 5 years ago
Multi_Pyrocytophage
kaylastepairmax1227Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate is more based on opinion. However, Con gets arguments since he has shown that Pro had not shown that everyone considered it the best, but only she. However, Pro gets sources for using sources.