NotTheMessiah
LatentDebater

Avatar Aang was right.

NotTheMessiah

Pro

WARNING: THIS DEBATE CONTAINS SPOILERS REGARDING THE FINALE OF AVATAR THE LAST AIRBENDER, CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

>>>>>>>

Well guys, me and a mate of mine have had a couple of discussions regarding the season finale of Avatar The Last Airbender. He posits that it would have been more ethically appropriate for Aang to kill Firelord Ozai, then "essentially cripple" him with Energy-bending.

I'm taking the Pro stance that this was the right choice to make, Con will take the same stance as my friend. I'd actually invite my mate to read this but I don't want this to escalate this to the point it dings our friendship. I'm not saying that it WILL get to that point, but I don't wanna risk it.

First Round is Acceptance and First Argument from my opponent if they so choose.
LatentDebater

Con

I don't know much about Avatar but I am an expert at philosophy and morality and will be taking the philosophical standpoint that essentially murder is more merciful than torture.

Essentially Avatar had two options. One was to kill the guy there and then, no pain (for more than an instant) and he would be at complete peace (unless my opponent wants the burden of proof of proving an afterlife). The second, and in my opinion less advisable, option would be to essentially paralyse this individual or as you say "eternally cripple" him and leave him in a "vegetable state" whereby he is conscious but cannot move at all. Essentially this will end up become a Euthanasia debate about whether leaving someone so helpless that they want to die but are in a state whereby they are too weak or are physically incapable of doing so is more merciful and justified than essentially 'putting them down' as one would do to an animal in the same predicament.

I accept and look forward to an enticing debate.
NotTheMessiah

Pro

Alrighty then, thank-you LatentDebator for accepting my debate and ACTUALLY FOLLOWING THROUGH unlike the other guy. Also it might be helpful if you know a bit more about Avatar, but I don't know the extant of your knowledge so we'll see how this pans out.

To start, I'll look at opponent's arguments:

1: The term I used was "ESSENTIALLY Cripple", not "Eternally Cripple" which are two different things; the former means that while technically he hasn't been crippled, he might as well be. The latter denotes that the Avatar has irrevocably maimed the Firelord in a way that negatively affects his ability to function as a person for the remainder of his life (I'll come back to that later) Just to be clear this term is a summation of my friends feeling towards the situation, not my own opinion.

2: I never stated that Aang paralyzed Ozai, although my leading statement was probably ambiguous enough for you to infer this, so that's my bad and I apologize.
Nevertheless, this never happened. Through the use of Energybending, Aang stripped Ozai of his ability to Firebend and nothing more. There was no paralysis involved and Ozai was otherwise in full control of his physical and mental faculties.

3: I don't believe that this is quite the same as a euthanasia debate, primarily because we are talking about a fictional show for children. Furthermore, Ozai has not been rendered "helpless", at least not in the sense that he is incapable of performing basic functions such as eating and going to the toilet without the assistance of another person. It just means that he can't throw balls of fire and burn the shitake-mushrooms out of innocent people.

And now my arguments:

As an Airbender, it is against Aang's creed to take a life, as Air Monks hold the belief that ALL life is sacred. For a lot of the third season, but especially the last four episodes of the series, one of the story-lines had Aang at odds with his mission. His peers expected that he would KILL Ozai to save the world, conflicting with his pacifist nature. So in the end, he merely neutralized the thing that made the Pheonix King so dangerous: his Firebending.

Now referring to my earlier rebuttal, there's nothing "eternal" about Aang's actions. The term "eternal" posits that whatever happened to Firelord Ozai could never be undone. However, in Legend of Korra, there are at least two incidents where the exact same Energybending style was used to RESTORE bending. This means that the effects can be reversed and are only permanent if the Avatar CHOOSES not to reverse the process; and being the Avatar, Aang had good reason not to do so.

So what I'm saying is that the consequences of Energybending are not as dire as my opponent is insinuating.

In conclusion, being that Avatar: The Last Airbender is a children's show and therefore having the main protagonist and role-model put the antagonist in a coma/vegetable state is not only unlikely, but also never happened. YES, Firelord Ozai had his extraordinary abilities forcibly taken away from him, but he was not "eternally crippled," and Avatar Aang was in the right.

And now the ball is in Con's Court...
LatentDebater

Con

LatentDebater forfeited this round.
NotTheMessiah

Pro

NotTheMessiah forfeited this round.
LatentDebater

Con

LatentDebater forfeited this round.
NotTheMessiah

Pro

NotTheMessiah forfeited this round.
LatentDebater

Con

LatentDebater forfeited this round.
Posted by NotTheMessiah 4 years ago
NotTheMessiah
And we have a Challenger ladies and gentlemen. Thanks to Noumena for taking up the mantle of Con!

Best of luck and remember, NO EYE-GOUGING!!!