patsox834
Harbalalism

Babe Ruth is the Best Player to Play in MLB.

Harbalalism
Started: 9/5/2009 Category: Sports

patsox834

Pro

Resolution: Babe Ruth is the Best Baseball Player to Ever Play in Major League Baseball.

Due to Babe Ruth's prowess both as a position player and a pitcher, I think he is quite clearly the best player to ever play in Major League Baseball.

Upon accepting this debate, my opponent agrees that no semantical arguments will be used; if they are, the person who does so automatically forfeits the debate. Moreover, the terms "better" and "more valuable," and anything else to that effect, are synonymous; my opponent also agrees with is when they accept.

The criteria for value that will be used for this debate are pitching, hitting, fielding, baserunning, and durability, all of which will be measured with statistics.

I'll go more in depth when I actually get an opponent, so whoever accepts can use their opening round just as some sort of introduction if they please.

Babe Ruth: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Major League Baseball: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Harbalalism

Con

Baseball is a Stupid sport play table tennis instead a safe eco friendly alternative

1.Babe Ruth is dead therefore anybody alive today is better than him at everything!
2.I could beat Babe Ruth in table tennis (well maybe not )
3.Sports are stupid play table tennis its eco friendly so to speak
4.Babe Ruth's name backwards is Htur Ebab
patsox834

Pro

Ha, every person who I've debated with about baseball has ended up getting banned. This is the third time it's happened in the middle of the debate. I'm probably the only person amused by that, but meh...

Anyway, my opponent opened with the following point:

<"Babe Ruth is dead therefore anybody alive today is better than him at everything!">

Whether he's alive or dead is entirely irrelevant. The resolution: <"Babe Ruth is the Best Baseball Player to Ever Play in Major League Baseball.">

The part where it says "to Ever Play" clearly illustrates that the resolution is pertinent to the history of Major League Baseball, which means my opponent's argument is clearly semantical, which means he essentially forfeits.

Me: <"Upon accepting this debate, my opponent agrees that no semantical arguments will be used; if they are, the person who does so automatically forfeits the debate.">

And, uh, well....his second, third, and fourth points aren't even relevant to the debate. Whether sports or stupid or not, table tennis, and Ruth's name spelled backwards have nothing to do with the resolution, which is about Babe Ruth's place among the all-time best players to ever play in MLB.

I didn't even need to point that out, since clearly my opponent has forfeited, but meh.

That'll be it for now.
Harbalalism

Con

Harbalalism forfeited this round.
patsox834

Pro

Well...I suppose I'll post some reason as to why Ruth is the best, though I plan on starting this debate again, so I'm not giving away my argument.

Babe Ruth's career OPS+ is 207, which is the best of all-time. He's also had 10 seasons with an OPS+ above 200. Keeping in mind that 100 is average, and 150 is excellent. (1)(2)

OPS+ is the lgOPS divided by a player's OPS, and multiplied by 100.

(1) = http://www.baseball-reference.com...
(2) = http://www.baseball-reference.com...
Harbalalism

Con

Harbalalism forfeited this round.
Harbalalism

Con

Harbalalism forfeited this round.
Posted by sllewuy 7 years ago
sllewuy
Barry Bonds is supposed to be the best but he went through that steroid episode
Posted by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
Stats.*
Posted by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
Ok, I realize I didn't give any stat, but I have a reason for that.

wjmelements: would you accept this debate if I sent it to you? If not, then I'll just post the argument I'd use in that debate here; if so, then just let me know.
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
CON's opening argument is the hardest I've laughed in a long time.
Posted by LightningRod 7 years ago
LightningRod
Forget that. CON is the clear winner.
Posted by LightningRod 7 years ago
LightningRod
This is basically an auto-win.
Posted by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
Ok, I made it a week.
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
Really, just make the voting period 4 days longer and I'll accept.
Posted by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
<"But certain players will be better at certain stats and then it becomes a matter of opinion which stat is more important.">

Uh, no. Certain stats are actually good for rating players, and some aren't; it depends on what constitutes the stat, and how it's used.

And so what if it's "just a matter of opinion?" The thing about opinions is that there's a rationale to back them up. Just going "but it's your opinion that stat's good!" is meaningless and frivolous-- if someone doesn't think the stats I use are good, then they can tell me why, and then I'll respond to that. You know, that's kinda how debate works.

<"Babe Ruth played in a different era of baseball and to compare him to modern players is apples and oranges.">

Only if you were to compare Ruth's stats to league averages from today's game -- instead, we rate players based upon how good they were relative to their own league. Perfect? No, but it does a good job.
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 7 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
If you can think of another reasonable method for determining value besides statistics, then I'd like to hear/read it.

Point being, it's obvious that statistics are how "the best" is determined

But certain players will be better at certain stats and then it becomes a matter of opinion which stat is more important. Also, Babe Ruth played in a different era of baseball and to compare him to modern players is apples and oranges.

I don't like to debate debates like this and so I won't take it up. I'm just wondering for when I vote how I should decide the winner for convincing argument.
Vote Placed by emigre 7 years ago
emigre
patsox834HarbalalismTied
Vote Placed by chapter24 7 years ago
chapter24
patsox834HarbalalismTied
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
patsox834HarbalalismTied