watsUpthr
Vi_Veri

Backpacks are better than purses.

watsUpthr

Pro

I am a woman who doesn't carry a purse. I think they are frivolous and a waste of money. Many women carry purses as a fashion statement and spend more on a new purse than their car payment (ex. Coach brand). I say just use a backpack. They are more practical and you can carry books around which will give you something to pass time if you get stuck somewhere. Plus you don't need a closet full to match your outfits. One for all works just fine!
Vi_Veri

Con

I will start with my the Instigator's first premise.

"I think they are frivolous and a waste of money. Many women carry purses as a fashion statement and spend more on a new purse than their car payment (ex. Coach brand)."

FIRST ARGUMENT: Let us begin with if purses are frivolous:

Definition of "frivolous":

1. characterized by lack of seriousness or sense: frivolous conduct.
2. self-indulgently carefree; unconcerned about or lacking any serious purpose.
3. (of a person) given to trifling or undue levity: a frivolous, empty-headed person.
4. of little or no weight, worth, or importance; not worthy of serious notice: a frivolous suggestion.

So my opponent is saying that purses are not serious. Let us use an example for this. In the business realm, you will not be taken seriously if you do not show up in business wear (Example: blouse, blazer, pencil skirt possibly, etc). If you show up in a t-shirt and jeans, no one will believe you are taking your work seriously.

Backpacks are associated with students, travelers, and hikers. None of which are very serious things to be doing (like going to an orchestra or going to work or dinner).

Let me expand on why fashion matters for seriousness now:

(examples from Maureen Costello of imageoftheactuary.org: Full article:http://www.imageoftheactuary.org... )

Examples of how fashion shows your seriousness:

The Gen X-er who is a brain trust of ideas at work but presents herself in such a disheveled manner that her clients wonder if her work might be the same.

The team manager who has uniformed employees reporting to her, but chooses to dress in inappropriately provocative clothing.

The successful and well-respected international executive whose credibility is diminished by his low quality, ill-fitting suits.

Costello goes on to say:

"Although we don't like to think that appearances matter, the fact remains that people react to us based on their perceptions. Using the visual signals we put out there, people make assumptions about your competence, personality, habits, tastes, social life and friends. Research shows that people are more likely to hire, promote and do business with us if we look the part.

In fact, managing our personal presentation can be an effective leadership tool, like negotiation or strategic thinking. People make decisions about us based on their first impressions, so it's important to get the personal packaging right. Learning to visually express who you are—highlighting specific characteristics through wardrobe, fit, color and quality—can positively impact your career. By the same token, presenting a less-than-professional image can prevent you from accomplishing your career goals."

Purses show maturity and seriousness just as a blazer would.

SECOND ARGUMENT: Let us expand on my opponent's statement that, "Many women carry purses as a fashion statement and spend more on a new purse than their car payment (ex. Coach brand)."

As we have mentioned before, fashion statements are not bad. They help us develop an image that shows our personality (it's like a sign we hold that represents who we are.)

Style has even changed into a very mature trend amongst young adults and teenagers (older adults were always known to stick to this more mature trend). Instead of being flashy and skin showing, our trend now is geared heavily towards ladylike apparel; pencil skirts, blouses, tweed jackets, round toed shoes.

So, making a fashion statement is not an evil if it helps the individual advance themselves.

As for people spending more money on Coach peruses than they need to or using that money for said purse instead of their car payment, I do have a reply.

If a woman decides to buy a purse instead of pay her car payment, that is her personal problem with finances.

Just like a woman could buy a backpack or a book instead of lunch.

As for spending more money on brand names than other names, that is because of the better material, image (brand names carry more seriousness to them than a Wall mart brand might), and better construction.

THIRD ARGUMENT: My opponent says, "I say just use a backpack. They are more practical and you can carry books around which will give you something to pass time if you get stuck somewhere."

I see women carry paper-back novels in their purses all the time. Because my opponent stated that you can't carry a book in a purse to pass the time, she must not realize that purses come in all sizes.

If you wish to have a purse that can carry you 20 novels at a time, get yourself a tote.

Tote – a bag inspired by a shopping bag, which is sturdy and rectangular with an open top and two strap handles. The inside may have zip compartments.

If you want to go to the theatre and only need to bring your make-up along instead of lugging an ugly backpack that clashes with your outfit, you could try a clutch.

Clutch – a bag with no handles that must be carried clasped in one hand or under the arm.

These are just two examples of many, many different kinds of purses out there.

As for saying a backpack is practical, I hope I explained to you one such situation in the writing above in which it is not: When you don't need to carry that many items.

FINAL ARGUMENT: My opponent's last comment was, "Plus you don't need a closet full to match your outfits. One for all works just fine!"

I hope I have explained how backpacks don't work for all situations with the above comments. So I will just argue her, "Plus you don't need a closet full to match your outfits."

You can always buy a solid colour purse that matches all of your outfits (like black or possibly white). You don't need many, and a medium sized purse usually suites most occasions (unlike a huge backpack).

FINAL WORDS:

I will gladly debate any reasoning my opponent has to any of my statements. If there are any loose ends to any of my statements that need clearing up for my opponent, I will be more than happy to do so in my next argument as well.

Cheers,

Vi
watsUpthr

Pro

Thanks for accepting my debate. I thought this would be a fun topic.

A backpack or a purse should not relect who you are as a person. I personally could care less what people think about me and whether or not I am taken seriously.

You have proposed that purses are better as they are more "fashionable" and help one to be taken more seriously. They are better to take to the theatre, etc. But backpacks are better overall. Better defined as more advantageous or effective. I don't care about fashion therefore purses do not benefit me.I guess it depends on which world you want to be taken seriously in.

"Backpacks are associated with students, travelers, and hikers. None of which are very serious things to be doing (like going to an orchestra or going to work or dinner)."

I must inject here that before you go to the dinner or orchestra you need money which comes from work. And you actually state that work is a serious thing to be doing. But most jobs require an education which means you must become a STUDENT first.

I personally would prefer studying, traveling and hiking so a backpack would be a better alternative. If I took a purse hiking I would not be taken "seriously" by the other hikers. A backpack is more convenient as I can wear the backpack on my back of course, leaving my hands free.

You state that "Research shows that people are more likely to hire, promote and do business with us if we look the part."
I want a career in marine biology, archaelogy or as a tour guide at the Grand Canyon...so uh will a purse help me get these kind of jobs?

"By the same token, presenting a less-than-professional image can prevent you from accomplishing your career goals."

I'm so disapointed to find out that I will not accomplish my goal of becoming a writer because I just wear jeans, tshirt and a backpack. Darn, I never got the memo stating that I had to dress up and carry a purse to meet that goal!

Backpacks are better because their purpose is more effective...to carry more items with less discomfort. Like I state before, you can carry things on your back, leaving your arms free to get more "serious" work accomplished!

Thanks again!!
Vi_Veri

Con

My opponent's first comment was:

"A backpack or a purse should not relect who you are as a person. I personally could care less what people think about me and whether or not I am taken seriously."

First of all, her opinion and public opinion are quite different. There are people who believe that you shouldn't need to wear clothing at all, but the majority of the public agrees that wearing clothing is proper behavior.

My opponent has also stated that she doesn't care what others think of her, therefore can wear a backpack as she pleases. But, what my opponent hasn't realized is that most people do care what others think about them because it directly influences something in their lives. What their boss thinks of them reflects on their pay and work, what their date thinks of them reflects on their future relationship, and so forth.

Unfortunately, my opponent has stated her opinion and not realized that the world does not work on her opinions but on collective opinions of the democratic nation that do not match her thoughts.

My opponent's next argument was:

"You have proposed that purses are better as they are more "fashionable" and help one to be taken more seriously. They are better to take to the theatre, etc. But backpacks are better overall. Better defined as more advantageous or effective. I don't care about fashion therefore purses do not benefit me.I guess it depends on which world you want to be taken seriously in."

Again, my opponent used opinion instead of fact. My opponent doesn't seem to have read my advantages in carrying a purse, or my writings on how being fashionable aids an individual in the work place and in life.

My opponent has also stated that she doesn't care about fashion. Also an opinion. As an extreme example, person might not care about murder, but that still doesn't remove that fact that it is illegal in this country. That, again, is their opinion, not fact.

My opponent then states:

"I must inject here that before you go to the dinner or orchestra you need money which comes from work. And you actually state that work is a serious thing to be doing. But most jobs require an education which means you must become a STUDENT first."

My opponent doesn't realize that I never said being a student was a bad thing or a not needed thing to be. I just stated that being a student was not a serious thing to be. We must all be students, of course, to get a job. My opponent is just quibbling my former statement, which of course, is very fallacious.

Then she goes on to state:

"I personally would prefer studying, traveling and hiking so a backpack would be a better alternative. If I took a purse hiking I would not be taken "seriously" by the other hikers. A backpack is more convenient as I can wear the backpack on my back of course, leaving my hands free."

Again, this is her opinion, as she said "I personally would prefer" the following activities. What my opponent failed to recognize is that this doesn't prove that backpacks are better over all. Hiking, by the way, doesn't help earn money for the individual. Therefore, something that you choose to do for fun isn't as necessary as a job. This adds to my argument that purses are "better over all" than backpacks.

I never stated that backpacks never had their place as they would be a faulty invention (and I did mention in my last argument that hikers, students and the such use them and of course, for reason).

My opponent then closes with:

"I'm so disapointed to find out that I will not accomplish my goal of becoming a writer because I just wear jeans, tshirt and a backpack. Darn, I never got the memo stating that I had to dress up and carry a purse to meet that goal!

Backpacks are better because their purpose is more effective...to carry more items with less discomfort. Like I state before, you can carry things on your back, leaving your arms free to get more "serious" work accomplished!"

My opponent is again quibbling. She is taking a minor exception and blowing it up. Of course, not all jobs need purses, but MOST jobs do rather than backpacks. I'm afraid that she made a mistake by stating that writers do not need to dress well. I write myself, and I know that when I am interviewing someone for something I am writing, I do need to dress well in order for them to take me seriously, trust me, and trust their information with me. If I am writing at home, of course, I wont need to dress up as I am not needing to do any of these things.

I also do not appreciate my opponents use of childish sarcasm to attack my reasoning. Facts, logic, and her own reasoning would have worked better.

Then my opponent goes on to mention the other careers that don't need you to "dress" well. What my opponent fails to recognize is that these professions have a form of "fashion" themselves. Even if a marine biologist's form of fashion is not like that of a business woman, it doesn't mean that not all marine biologist's adhere to this. I know that most archeologists prefer to wear cargo pants because they can carry more things and because they are more durable. Because of this, they have created a fashion statement among their profession, and to be taken seriously, you must follow this fashion statement. My opponent has proven my point, that fashion is important, but my opponent hasn't realized what fashion really is and has decided to attack it by, really, using it in a way.

Hopefully I have covered enough for my opponent, and now, of course, it is time for our voters to make their educated decisions on who they believe won this debate.

Regards,

Vi
Posted by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Well, I do.
However, I voted for you. ;-)
Posted by Vi_Veri 8 years ago
Vi_Veri
You know, I find it rather suspicious that as soon as I'm winning this debate I start losing again in votes... even after this debate is a month old now...

Odd, who digs up old debates and votes on them?
Posted by Vi_Veri 8 years ago
Vi_Veri
Yes, thanks for the fun debate, watsUpthr. Was really a blast to debate something refreshing :)

And no offence taken. All in the debating spirit, ;)
Posted by watsUpthr 8 years ago
watsUpthr
I guess I should've debated more formally but I just picked a topic to have fun with and to state personal preferences. My opponent actually did an awesome job and I'd like to commend her on that! Sarcism was all in fun so I apologize for any offense.
Posted by iq_two 8 years ago
iq_two
It should be a personal choice- some people prefer backpacks for convenience, size, gender reasons, etc. Some people prefer purses for style, convenience, size, etc. Personally, I find backpacks inconvenient because when you want to get soething out of it you have to take it off, and it can be open without you knowing it, and it's easier to get pick-pocketed.
Posted by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Why do some people say they "Could care less"
when they obviously mean "Couldn't care less"? Very odd.
Posted by DoctaSchiz 8 years ago
DoctaSchiz
I would humbly submit that vagina is also much much better than penis.

All those in favor say aye, all those opposed say Nay! harumph! harumph, I say!
Posted by cheekyhobo 8 years ago
cheekyhobo
Purses are another form of arbitrary patriarchy that was founded years ago. Just like weddings and marriage. The father hands over his property, the daughter, to her new master, the husband. "I now pronounce you man and wife." Instead of husband and wife. Purses have also become a turn in time to show that women are "superior" to men as came about with the major feminist movement that started at the end of the 1800s. It is just another sign of the everlasting fight between man and woman when in reality, the two should come to terms and stop this "frivolous" battle. I believe backpacks are much better because they are neutral. Both men and women can wear them without any negative repercussions. Now, of course, I will not allow my personal beliefs to determine how I vote, so I shall abstain because both sides provided good analysis.

Just some food for thought! :)
Posted by Vi_Veri 8 years ago
Vi_Veri
Oof, I failed to add the health problems with backpacks! Silly me... I guess it's unfair to add the statistics it here though as the debate is over. Oh well, such is life. :)
Posted by Vi_Veri 8 years ago
Vi_Veri
Good debate, watsUpthr, :)
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
watsUpthrVi_VeriTied
Vote Placed by harlequin 7 years ago
harlequin
watsUpthrVi_VeriTied
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 7 years ago
pcmbrown
watsUpthrVi_VeriTied
Vote Placed by LaSalle 7 years ago
LaSalle
watsUpthrVi_VeriTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 7 years ago
Vi_Veri
watsUpthrVi_VeriTied
Vote Placed by marin24 7 years ago
marin24
watsUpthrVi_VeriTied
Vote Placed by Puck 8 years ago
Puck
watsUpthrVi_VeriTied
Vote Placed by Jamcke 8 years ago
Jamcke
watsUpthrVi_VeriTied
Vote Placed by biophil 8 years ago
biophil
watsUpthrVi_VeriTied
Vote Placed by SteamPunk 8 years ago
SteamPunk
watsUpthrVi_VeriTied