Bacteria is more important than humans

Human history have been plagued with a selfish and narcissistic mentality that humans are the great and important species. Such an attitude stems back to the bible, from texts such as:

'And God blessed them and God said to them,

"Be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth and master it,

and have dominion over the fish of the sea and the flyer of the heaven,

and every live creature that creeps on the earth." (1.28)

Such a mentality have left much of the natural world in ruins. Driven by greed to maximize ones profit without consideration of externalities, has led to the depletion of natural rain forests, the pollution of air, and the extinction of many species.

Humans often feel that it is a god given right for them to have dominion over the earth, and even many non-believers, with a false conception of evolution, believe that all species are on a linear ride to becoming more complex...the journey to becoming a human. It has been mind numbing for me to hear people ask me, 'well if evolution is true, how come chimps have not turned into humans yet?'. This shows the ignorance that exists among us humans.

What I would like to argue in this debate is that humans are not the most important species. In fact, humans are likely one of the least important species from a naturalistic perspective. And the specific argument is that bacteria is more important than humans.

What is important?

From a naturalistic point of view, it is important to survive. It is important to spread our genes. From a societal perspective, what is important can take many different forms depending on culture and beliefs, along with other factors.

I will now let my opponent start the debate by trying to argue that bacteria is not more important than humans.

I would first like to thank my opponent for such a topic. Now on to the debate.

Don't get me wrong, bacteria are very important as far as maintaining life on Earth. Yet, you have to ask yourself, does that make them "more important" than humans. I believe that people and bacteria are EQUALLY important.

We are the dominant species of this planet, and with great power comes great responsibility. You see, us humans have something bacteria don't: intellect. Forces that threaten the planet, like meteors for example, we have the ability to stop, yet bacteria do not.

As far as evolution goes, it's not usual for a species to be as powerful as we are. We came forth only under extremely rare circumstances. Now that we exist, we are life forms capable of deciding the fate of all other life, and a force like ours is important for preserving life from catastrophic forces.

If bacteria are LESS or EQUALLY important than humans, I win this debate.
Unless my opponent proves how bacteria are MORE important, I will win this debate.

On that note, I urge a con vote.

shawnburton forfeited this round.

Uhhh, please vote con. It seems my opponent has not been able to respond in time.

Vote con

shawnburton forfeited this round.

I understand that bacteria are important for keeping life on earth running. However, you can't deny the fact that humans can protect the Earth from things bacteria cannot. We control the fate of this planet, and as intellegent beings we are important for protecting life on Earth from catastrophic forces.

With great power, comes great responsibility.

They do their part, we do ours.

In conclusion regarding my contention that humans play a role in the preservation of life that is just as important as bacteria's, I urge a con vote

Posted by shawnburton 7 years ago
here is the forfeited round.

Bacteria are recycling agents that exist near the bottom of the food chain. Bacteria transforms organic material into usable energy for autotrophs and other organisms. If bacteria ceased to exist, the food chain would break down, with domino effect consequences, leaving a state of massive extinction.

Humans are at the top of the food chain. No species depends on humans for their survival. That said, the elimination of humans would have a minimal negative impact on the ecosystem. In fact, the natural world would probably be better off without humans. The end of deforestation, oil spills, and refineries would surely have a positive impact on the natural world.

Life would go on without humans, however this may not be true without bacteria. Bacteria inhabits many species, and engages in symbiotic relationships to increase the survival of both species. The human gut contains 500 different species of bacteria, and bacteria in the stomach of a cow is needed for the animal to break down cellulose. Many scientists believe that bacterial activity was initially needed to create the atmospheric conditions which allows life to flourish on this planet. Quite simply, the natural world would be much more greatly harmed if bacteria ceased to exist. Thus, bacteria is more important than humans.
Posted by shawnburton 7 years ago
sorry for the forfeited round. Its been a busy christmas. I will have a response ready for the 3rd and final round.
Posted by fo-shizzle 7 years ago
Human life is definitelly more important ha ha.
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
Vote Placed by vorxxox 7 years ago