Leandra_Woodruff
Bennett91

Bad Reputations For Pit Bulls

Bennett91

Leandra_Woodruff

Con

Starting with Bad Reputations For Pit Bulls.
Pit Bulls only kill if that is what they are taught to do. Think of a child. You teach and raise that child to kill, that's what they will do, teach and raise that child to love, protect, and cherish, that's what they will do. Blame the teacher. Not the student. I know your thinking that not all students put in the hard work to learn and obey, but you have to be willing to put in your all. Don't give up trying to teach them to behave, because if you give up, you are just showing them that you don't really care. I also understand that there have been very sad events of people dying from the Pit Bull breed, but with that being said, have you even taken one minute to try and figure out WHY the dog did what they did? Do you even care about the story behind it, or do you want to take the easy way out and just assume that the dog did it just because it wanted to? Let me ask you a serious question, would you believe me if I told you that Pit Bulls (and other dogs) ,some even since birth, were thrown into dog fighting rings as what dog fighters and other people call "bait dogs" . I dare you to look up pictures of bait dogs. How many that you see are Pit Bulls? All I ask is to stop assuming that it is always the Pit Bulls fault, because I can almost 100% guarantee you that it isn't their fault. Excuse my language but, if you got off your a** for once and actually looked into the background of that Pit Bull I'm sure you would understand their, dare I say 'reasoning' behind their aggression.
Bennett91

Pro

Given Pro’s above paragraph I assume the resolution is something along the lines of “Do Pit Bulls Deserve their Bad Reputation?” For this Round I will give a summary of my opponents argument so far with brief rebuttals as to why, yes, they deserve such negative reputation.

Con’s Points (Citation Needed):

1. “Pit Bulls only kill if that is what they are taught to do.”

2. “ .. there have been very sad events of people dying from the Pit Bull breed, but with that being said, have you even taken one minute to try and figure out WHY the dog did what they did?

3. “I dare you to look up pictures of bait dogs.”

4. “All I ask is to stop assuming that it is always the Pit Bulls fault, because I can almost 100% guarantee you that it isn't their fault.”

Rebuttals:

1. Pit Bulls only kill if they are trained to kill; not only is this just not true it ignores the original purpose that the Pit Bull was bred for, for violence and to kill. They were selectively bred to be easier to train (easier to trigger) for violence and that training is ingrained in their DNA:

“Pit Bulls don’t always growl or display aggressive body language before attacking. They are also more likely than other breeds to attack a dog that has rolled over in submission. In other words, a lot of canine behaviors that are intended to avoid deadly conflicts between members of the species have been bred out of [Pit Bulls].” Fact # 31 [1]

Furthermore: “According to a study highlighted by the website Dogsbite, 59% of dogs that bite humans are pit bulls or pit bull mixes. Even more disturbing still, is the fact that pit bull breeds attack adults and children in equal numbers, a phenomenon never observed among other breeds. [2]

Anecdotal Evidence: I work at a pet food store, I’ve heard 2 stories from people I know about how a Pit Bull in their care was inexplicably violent: The first comes from a co-worker, a nice guy, certainly not one who’d train a violent dog. However his pit bull was put down because it had attacked a little girl who wanted to pet it and stepped into the yard. (I’ll address ‘the reasoning’ next point). The second was even more shocking, a professional dog trainer that works at the store was looking after a pit bull for a client she had been taking care of it for about 7 months. One day the trainer takes one of her other dogs for a walk, when she gets back she finds the pit bull had killed a 3rd dog in her care. In neither of these cases can one blame the violent behavior on training.

And there are many stories like the ones I’ve heard:

“Pit bulls have been known to attack children, the elderly, their owners – anyone that happens to be in their path. If the dog feels provoked or startled, it has been known to bite. Many owners swear that their pet would never attack them; however, this breed has led to more human fatalities than any other. … The sheer volume of Pit Bull attacks have prompted many insurers to deny coverage associated with homeowners insurance.” [5]

2. In regards to the dogs reasoning, why does this animal with a bred tendency for violence react violently? Surely, as my opponent begs, there must be a good reason, a justification that allows us to turn a blind eye to this violent trend. I find this point amusing as it is an attempt at dog psychology, sure we may have basic inferences as to why dogs do what they do but to suggest we can know what triggers a dog to act violently is absurd. Not only that but it seems more of an excuse to absolve the dog of responsibility and blame the victim of their attacks for not ‘knowing’ the signs, even when as noted above pit bulls don’t always show signs of aggression before attacking. Asking us to consider the reasoning behind the violence does not excuse the violence - nor the breed prone to it.

3. Bait Dogs: I did look at the bait dogs. Very tragic. All the more reason why the breed should be discouraged from being bred, it’s already outlawed in dozens of other countries and US cities [3]. My counter argument to this is simple, pit bulls are the most popular dog for dog fights and baiting, to make the breed harder to obtain we logically will see a reduction in the violence associated with this breed (and see a great reduction from dog attacks in general). This dog has a reputation of violence for a reason, again, it is literally what it is bred for. It has been the history of this breed, violence, and I extend that this violent history is ingrained in the breed. There’s already evidence in humans traumatic events affect DNA and respective off spring [4], the same may apply to generation after generation of breeding pit bulls for violence.

4. Can my opponent really guarantee 100% all pit bull attacks are not the fault of the dog? As with point 2 she seems to prefer assuming victims of pit bull attacks are to blame rather than the dog itself.

[1] http://terriblyterrier.com...

[2] http://www.hg.org...

[3] http://www.browardpalmbeach.com...

[4] https://www.theguardian.com...

[5] http://www.dognotebook.com...

Leandra_Woodruff

Con

Leandra_Woodruff forfeited this round.
Bennett91

Pro

I extend all arguments.
Leandra_Woodruff

Con

Leandra_Woodruff forfeited this round.
Bennett91

Pro

In this debate it has been made clear - without opposition- Pit Bulls pose a greater risk of harm compared to other breeds, thus they deserve the bad reputation associated with them.

Vote Pro!
Posted by matt8800 1 year ago
matt8800
I have had dogs my whole life, including two pit bulls. It is true that they can be more aggressive towards other dogs and that should be taken into consideration by someone that wants to own one.

Statistically, when population numbers are adjusted, Pit bulls do not bite more than all other breeds. The problem is that when they do, they are very strong and tenacious dogs.

With that all said, an experienced dog owner that is a good leader cannot find a better family dog than a pit bull.
Posted by Leandra_Woodruff 1 year ago
Leandra_Woodruff
Not necessarily, all pit bulls are different but a lot of them learn from what you teach them or force them into.
Posted by TheRussian 1 year ago
TheRussian
So...what is your actual argument? That it's "not the pitbull's fault" when they hurt/kill someone?
Posted by Leandra_Woodruff 1 year ago
Leandra_Woodruff
(whoops nvm sactown I understand the last part you said now, sorry about that. And I would hate to take the pros on that!)
Posted by Leandra_Woodruff 1 year ago
Leandra_Woodruff
So Sactown you don't have a problem with puppy mills?
And I will discuss puppy mills later.
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
I don't even see mention of puppy mills in the opening argument. I'm agreeing with Sactown, you should consider splitting those two topics out into two separate debates.
Posted by SactownBoom 1 year ago
SactownBoom
I would take this if it's only on the subject of pit bulls. I do not wish to debate puppy mills, unless you want to take the Pro on those, which I doubt.
Vote Placed by SactownBoom 1 year ago
SactownBoom
Leandra_WoodruffBennett91Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro used excellent sources and reasoning for argument. Con forfeited two rounds. Con's argument they did post seemed immature and uninformed.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Leandra_WoodruffBennett91Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's lone argument comes across as a passionate rant of unsubstantiated declarative statements and then followed it up with two forfeited turns. Pro pieces together a detailed rebuttal supported with cited sources and participated in all three rounds.