Ycease
McHitler

Baltimore's action are speaking louder than their words .

McHitler
Started: 4/29/2015 Category: News

Ycease

Pro

In this debate , I am saying that the Baltimore "Protest" is out of control . The people are claiming that they are doing what they're doing for Freddie Gray , knowing that they aren't , the death of this man is no excuse for what they're doing , and I'm sure that most people would agree . So in conclusion of this round I'm saying that just because a black man died , doesn't give people of Baltimore Maryland to act the way they are acting .
McHitler

Con

With many protests come violent opportunists and those who find joy in destruction. For your position, you must provide evidence that the majority of protesters participating in the protests are instigating or taking part in the destruction. In addition, you must provide evidence that the protesters of Baltimore are committing to their protest for reasons that do not involve Freddie Gray's death or general social issues involving the police due to the fact that Freddie Gray's death is one of many cases of potential or confirmed police brutality that are driving many protests today. You would have to prove that the protesters are lying when they claim that their cause is motivated by the previously stated issues.

I look forward to this debate, and if you require me to display my sources for any of my information to come, simply request that I post it in the next section of my debate.
Ycease

Pro

So you're saying that these crimes that are being committed are because of Freddie Grays death ? So every time someone dies , that gives people the right to go and rob stores , beat up police , and damage government property ? because it doesn't . Also these people that are breaking into stores are also the ones complaining about how damaged the city already is . if you need proof watch the news. but although some may say that the police deserve this for what they've done . because the police are being blamed for killing this man Freddie Gray because he's black man . but you don't see every black man that's arrested being killed by a white man . I admit sometimes there are . but in this case and also in many other cases there are no signs of racism being connected to this mans murder . Are you saying that racism plays a part in their crimes ? Even though that the people that are committing the crimes are stating why they are , and they're saying that they are doing this because of what the police did to Freddie Gray .

Vote Pro ; because con fails to show why the people that are supposed to be protesting for Freddie Gray, why they are committing these crimes .
McHitler

Con

You have not yet provided evidence that the majority of the protesters are the ones committing the atrocity of destroying public and private property in Baltimore. You make the claim that the protesters themselves are the ones taking part in the violence in majorities. I never stated that people have the right to rob stores and damage property in protest, nor did I assert that the blame is on the police because of his race. I would appreciate a discussion without the use of straw-men, if you may. I am simply stating that the evidence of Freddie Gray's death leans heavily towards a "rough riding" practice commonly used by Baltimore Police.

Either way, the cause of Freddie Gray's death is irrelevant. This debate is on whether or not the protester's violence towards police and property are justified. Unfortunately, you have failed to provide evidence that the previously-marching protesters are now committing these violent acts in mass numbers. Telling me to simply "watch the news" for evidence of this has, ironically, been detrimental to your position because those who commit to violent acts on video are in relatively small groups in comparison to those who peacefully protest, including the current live-streaming of the protest in Baltimore which display people standing peacefully in mass numbers on the streets of the city. If you wish for video evidence, I am willing to provide links. I suggest that you do so as well if you wish to fortify your position.
Ycease

Pro

Ycease forfeited this round.
McHitler

Con

It is unfortunate that you have left your refutation of my argument to the wind. To be fair, I shall cease to post a closing argument, as to carry an equal amount of argumentation on my side of the debate. This was enjoyable.
Vote Placed by salam.morcos 1 year ago
salam.morcos
YceaseMcHitlerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff so I gave conduct to Con. Spelling and grammar was fine. Neither used sources. Pro made a claim, but didn't support it. Con rebutted the arguments (e.g. associating all protesters with violence) but could have been more convincing if he provided some examples. I vote con.