Ciarrai91
WrathofGod

Ban Cosmetic Surgery

WrathofGod

Ciarrai91

Con

I put forward the motion that cosmetic surgery is a matter of personal choice and, as such,it should not be outlawed. My main argument here is that every person has a basic right to happiness and to be comfortable and well, both physically AND mentally. I put it to anyone who wishes to oppose the motion that by denying a person the right to modify their body to make themselves feel more comfortable, you have a negative effect on their mental well being.

Not to mention, the fact that it plays a crucial part in overcoming social awkwardness and feelings of inadequacy amongst the general population. As well as this, plastic surgery plays a major part in medical research into various techniques and is leading the way in uncovering new and non-invasive ways of operating providing faster recuperation periods.

Finally, another area of medicine in which plastic surgery plays a crucial part, is in providing restorative surgery for those who are born with deformities, and those deformed or physically altered by accidents or violence.
WrathofGod

Pro

First, I'd like to thank the CON for bringing this issue up, its unique.

Second, I'd like to point out that nobody believes cosmetic surgery should be outlawed. However, some believe that cosmetic surgery should not be allowed for minors (persons under 18). So I will argue the only version of this resolution that would exist in the real world, that cosmetic surgery should be outlawed for minors.

CONTENTIONS

1) Low Self Esteem
Teenagers often struggle with coming into their own sense of self. They have acne, they gain and lose weight in weird increments, their bodies are developing and puberty is taking its toll. Its perfectly normal for any teenager to be unhappy with the way they look, but we should prevent that dissatisfaction from making permanent changes in a persons physical appearance.

2) Values
While how we look is important in today's fast paced world of sex and movie stars we must not forget that self-hatred is the motive behind this feeling of insufficiency. While humility is a virtue, there is nothing noble or helpful in encouraging teenagers in their self-loathing by affirming their suspicions that they aren't good enough as they are. Allowing teenage plastic surgery only confirms through concession that the child is "ugly" or not good enough.

3) Instant Gratification
Teenagers already struggle with taking the "easy way out". They want everything now, and aren't willing to learn the life skill of slow and gradual success. Allowing cosmetic surgery for them would only be encouraging them to take the path of least resistance, and denying them the important life lesson of earned results. Girls will lose weight through liposuction, boys will get shining teeth through veneers, teenagers won't work hard to get the physical results they want, and this can only condone a negative life behavior.

I hope that our judges will consider how one-sided this resolution was, and give me credit for taking a shot at it, even if I had to tweak it.
Ciarrai91

Con

Ciarrai91 forfeited this round.
WrathofGod

Pro

Seeing my opponent forfeited the round, I urge voters to choose Pro.
Ciarrai91

Con

Ciarrai91 forfeited this round.
WrathofGod

Pro

WrathofGod forfeited this round.
Posted by 20000miles 7 years ago
20000miles
You're not making it easy for the opponent -- you're keeping the burden of proof on pro and choosing a position for yourself that's almost universally acknowledged.
Posted by Mirza 7 years ago
Mirza
Ciarrai91,

You can change the options to maximize the character space. It is better.
Posted by m93samman 7 years ago
m93samman
The voting period will last 3 days
2,000 characters per round

Fix that
Vote Placed by sammyc96 7 years ago
sammyc96
Ciarrai91WrathofGodTied
Vote Placed by WrathofGod 7 years ago
WrathofGod
Ciarrai91WrathofGodTied