brad1999
tastypenguins

Ban Obamacare

brad1999

brad1999

Pro

R1 acceptance
tastypenguins

Con

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Three basic, unalienable human rights, guaranteed to citizens of the United States of America. Not coincidentally, the inaccessibility to healthcare infringes upon all three of these rights. Without health, one cannot have life, achieve liberty, or pursue happiness to its fullest extent. Thus, healthcare should be treated as a public utility, available to all at affordable rates. The introduction of the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, has begun to do just that, rendering it not only Constitutional, but also proving it upholds basic human rights.

Let's look at the numbers:
16.4 million people have gained coverage under Obamacare, a 35% chunk out of the uninsured. This means that 16.4 MILLION people are now able to receive affordable healthcare.

Contrary to the fears of the GOP, Obamacare has actually provided consumers with MORE choices, as 25 percent more issuers have joined the Marketplace since its introduction, providing citizens with more choices.

Americans are saving money on prescription drugs, as $15 billion has been saved since 2010, about $1,598 per beneficiary.

Taxpayers are benefiting, as healthcare spending grew at its slowest rate in 50 years.

But let's not stop there. The countries that top both lists of PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) and GDP (Gross Domestic Product) have some form of socialized healthcare, and are in much better financial standing. This includes countries like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Germany. Along with their free education, those countries are miles ahead of the US. This is no coincidence.

If you don't like Obamcare, you can opt for a more expensive, more inclusive plan. One is not limited. Obamacare simply sets a standard for a quality of living, ensuring all should have access to healthcare, that would be otherwise unaffordable. Not only is Obamacare Constitutional- it works. It works so well, and has worked so well in other countries, it's time we take it a step further, We are long overdue for some form of socialized healthcare.
brad1999

Pro

Three key points:
1. Obama took 6 billion dollars away from Medicare to pay for obamacare, therefore you are taking away from the elderly and disabled. Medicare already pays 50% less than private insurance, doctors are starting to not take patients on Medicare.
2. You are taking away from the right to freedom, we should be able to choose whether or not we want health insurance.
3. There are a lot of people who do not have jobs to be able to pay for insurance, so why not start there first with jobs , instead of making people pay a fine they cannot afford because there job they had been working at for 60+ years laid them off trust me I wish everyone could have healthcare too but its not realistic , you at messing with a hesitate system that's had been successful for centuries. Bottom line work on getting American jobs before charging a fine because they simply can't afford it. If someone doesn't want healthcare they should not be forced to do so. I thought we lived in a free country.

And my opponent said 'pursuit of happiness' no its not when your force to have health care people have a right to choose not to have healthcare or not.
tastypenguins

Con

tastypenguins forfeited this round.
brad1999

Pro

My opponet has forfeited last round so i'll say this in my last speech My opponet said 'pursuit of happiness' you are not happy if your forced to have healthcare some people can't afford healthcare so don't fine homeless people because they dont have healthcare.
tastypenguins

Con

tastypenguins forfeited this round.
Posted by Jonnykelly 2 years ago
Jonnykelly
Con you had one instruction. One! I can't wait to vote on this.
Posted by Episteme 2 years ago
Episteme
I get that the UK is a very different country, but I feel like it sometimes gets ignored in debates about healthcare funded through taxes. As far as I know since I've lived there, you don't need insurance to use the NHS. You do need to be registered to a doctor, but you don't need insurance to be registered to that doctor. You can get private health insurance to help pay for any private health services, but you don't need insurance to get health care in the UK.

I don't live in the US, but I was fined for not purchasing health insurance in the US, since I'm a US citizen. That just doesn't make sense. If they want the health service public, they really should get rid of this idea of having 'insurance' for public health care and just do what the UK does and have health care included in people's taxes so that everyone has access to it without having to additionally pay insurance companies.
Posted by Varrack 2 years ago
Varrack
You had one rule Con. *one* rule to follow--and you broke it. The most obvious, in-plain-sight rule that is virtually impossible to be overseen as it is the *only* thing mentioned at all by Pro in the start and you broke it. Congrats.
Posted by kingcripple 2 years ago
kingcripple
My experience with obamacare is that is not more affordable. It appears to me, that the only thing that changed was insurers not being able to deny you based on having a preexisting condition. But apparently you can still be denied if you cannot afford it, as was my experience. While insurers not being able to deny one based on a preexisting condition definitely has it's merits, it doesn't make it affordable. It seems to me that the affordable health care act should be renamed the we cant deny you healthcare act.

Another thing that bothers me is the fines if you dont sign up. I cant really put into words how that bothers me, but it does
Vote Placed by lol101 2 years ago
lol101
brad1999tastypenguinsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con resorted to forfeiture.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
brad1999tastypenguinsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
brad1999tastypenguinsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Well, Con forfieted 2 out of 3 rounds. To add insult to injury, he did not follow the Round 1 acceptance rule thus giving him an unfair advantage (which he of course squandered by forfeiting). I don't think my RFD needed to be this long.
Vote Placed by MrJosh 2 years ago
MrJosh
brad1999tastypenguinsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the forfeit