10551901
Rodrack

Ban Pornography and Nude entertainment

10551901

Pro

Pornography is unacceptable and should be illegal! Pornography is wrong and disgust! Nude entertainment is terrible, too! And besides, pornography can lead to becoming a pervert or even a rapist! Does society and the government actually accept this?!
Rodrack

Con

10551901

Pro

Nudity and other sexual themes are disgusting! I just wish people would stop! It's not cool! Seriously!
Rodrack

Con

I see my opponent is new to Debate.org, so welcome to the site!

My opponent stated:

"Nudity and other sexual themes are disgusting"
  • Sex involves nudity, but it's natural to human beings and necessary for reproduction, so it cannot be wrong.

• Erotica is the artistic manifestation of sexual themes [1] and has been appreciated and praised since early times. The natural beauty of the human body and the sensuality of the sexual act should not be something to ban or censure.

Now, I must assume my opponent is referring specifically to pornography and the adult entertainment industry, as mentioned in round 1. While it is true pornography has nothing to do with art or natural sex, it still shouldn't be a bannable offense.

Observe:

Pornography is the portrayal of sex as to generate sexual gratification in the observer. Legal adult industry uses actors and actresses who are willing to use their own bodies in exchange for money, so no rights are being violated. Those who watch pornography do it under their own will. The Internet, television and other public displays are regulated in such way that neither children nor any unwilling person is exposed to explicit material.

My opponent made the following statement:

" pornography can lead to becoming a pervert or even a rapist"

Nearly 30,000 people worldwide are watching porn every second [2]. It's unnecessary to say that the number of rapists is nowhere near the number of "porn watchers", which means that the vast majority of the people who watch pornography never rape someone, so we must discard this statement as doubtful.

Let's conclude:

Everything involving pornography is done with the consent of the people involved. While it is true that it might pervert people, we can't judge people on what they think, so as long as they are not raping someone, they can't be treated as criminals. I am not saying pornography should be promoted, but it should be tolerated because it's a business like any other where people who want money can use their bodies to earn it and people who want sexual gratification can satisfy themselves without harming anyone (in any case and arguably, they are only harming themselves).

Issues like human trafficking, rape, and child porn can indeed be related to pornography. Nonetheless, governments do ban and sanction this kind of practices (there are even laws against simulating rape in a porn video). There is no reason to ban pornography as long as it's abiding to the laws already established.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

[2] http://theweek.com...

10551901

Pro

10551901 forfeited this round.
Rodrack

Con

My opponent forfeited the round, so I have no new arguments to post.
10551901

Pro

10551901 forfeited this round.