Ban Trade With China

This is a debate of whether or not trade with China should be banned. The parameters are to be set for trading with the US and trading is limited in definition to being only for tangible elements or items not including intellectual items.

This was a class debate. I won, but my friend (who was my opponent) wants me to debate on DDO to be his "rematch."

First round is acceptance.

China is a communist country with a poor human rights record. It has executed more people than any other country in the world and at a higher rate. Since we punish Cuba we should also punish China. If we do not then our policy looks like a joke, and singling out Cuba won't lead to other countries improving human rights or democracy since they will look at how we treat China and say "see it's all just politics".

2. China's trading practices are unfair.

They subsidize their industries above our own to gain a competitive advantage.

China currently devalues US buying power by 30%.

I thank Pro for agreeing to this debate. However, I would like to note that Pro has ignored that "First round is acceptance" and posted his argument.

There are 3 points that support why the US should not ban trade with China:

1. China has stood as the world's leading nations in trade and has helped lower inflation through trading down to a 7.5% rate after a recent peak. The US economy will be devastated if we stop trading with China and increase inflation.

2. The US has countless times stood for free trade. How can we deny trade to China in the face of our own image? Banning trade would hurt the US image and show our thinking to be of hypocrites.

3. Equal rights to all people denotes that to China too. The Constitution itself strives for equality towards all and that applies to China too. Banning trade would be discrimination towards the Chinese people.

I leave it to Pro to give the BOP.

MasturDbtor forfeited this round.

Given that Pro has forfeited this round, I will give my rebuttals to his points.

1. Pro's first point actually supports me. The poor human rights record provides even more the reason to trade with China. As China merchants get richer, the border control and human right control have lessoned for more rights so trade can be more open. Therefore, we promote human rights through trade.

2. The reason why we trade with China is because its prices are low. The "unfair" practices lead to these low prices. Who will we trade with if we don't trade with China? It is not worth it to increase inflation and ruin the US economy for just the mere sense of "trade injustice" with China.

Thus Pro's points are invalidated.

1. Inflation isnt a problem if people are making >$. Inflation can be tiny but if all jobs r overseas they cant make $ & the low inflation rate does no good. If we ban trade w/China > jobs will b in the US so ppl will have > chances 2 make >$

2. Trade alters the economy for better /4 worse. It dont serve freedom 2 allow unlimited trade. The US should stop support 4 ‘free’ trade & instead support sensible trade policy based on the real needs of the times not limited 2 'free' trade

3. We already ban trade w/Cuba. Jefferson banned trade w/everbody. Noone argued it violated = rights. Each nation has a rite 2 its own trade policy&theres no right 2 trade w/an unwilling nation

4. Trade has encouraged economic change in China but it remains a dictatorship w/no rights 2 freedom of speech political repression & the largest number of executions in the world

5. Chinas prices r low bcause it treats its workers unfair. Trading with China supports their oppression

As a conclusion I'd like to review my main points:

1. Banning trade increases inflation.

2. The US image depends on our policy of free trade.

3. Trading with China is part of equal rights treatments and is also shown in the Constitution.

My opponent has forfeited a round and I'd truly like to discuss about trade a bit more. With what points Pro has provided I'd like to point out the major flaws in his argument.

1. Spelling--Particularily in the 3rd round, Pro has provided a myriad of spelling and grammar errors as well as punctuation mistakes.

2. Pro has completely ignored my arguments and only provided cross exchange for my rebuttals. Therefore conceding to all my points.

3. Pro's logic falls in trading practices. He consistantly gives Cuba as an analogy to China although both are two separate entities. Also, Pro fails to distinguish different entities and groups countries into two vagues groups of freedom of speech or not which limits his arguments to two catagories.

Based on this vote Con!

If people have no job inflation doesnt matter. Can't afford anything.

"US image". The US is not a middle school student. We should look out for our own best interests, our image be damned.

Equal rights is about US citizens and ppl who live here. It doesn't require us to treat every other country the same.

I had to use creative spelling. How else can I argue effectively when the limit is 1000?

Con attacks my use of Cuba as an analogy yet says we'd be violating China's 'equal rights' by denying trade with them. If Con's argument has any merit then that would mean we are already violating Cuba's "equal rights".

"groups countries into two vagues groups of freedom of speech or not"
I never used "freedom of speech". Also, I believe vagues should've been "vague". Guess Im not the only 1 with spelling problems. At least my arguments are a lot clearer than Con.
I haven't limited my arguments to 2 categories. I listed many things above about what China is doing wrong for which they should be penalized.
Posted by Jacket123 4 years ago
Hmm...interesting. Ha the word limit is halarious. But otherwise, I see that Pro has agreed to the terms. Well just have to see who debates the best given the constraints.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
2000 is pushing it as well. At least 4000 to get anyone who is even semi-serious. 8000 and you'll find a serious debater to go toe-to-toe with.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
Make it. 2000 or else no one would even think about this
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Silly debate, can be won by picture spamming, as I've done before, and actually have depth.

Actually, that's a good idea to get over the post limit. Just make loads of pictures of a document, put them one after the other, and voila! A 60,000 character argument in under a thousand.
Posted by MouthWash 4 years ago
Posted by THEBOMB 4 years ago
Furthermore, this is a stupid debate...banning trade with China would collapse the US economy...and the Chinese economy...
Posted by bossyburrito 4 years ago
Given the low character limit, I might devil's advocate. Maybe...
Posted by THEBOMB 4 years ago
1,000 characters is one half the amount of space you get for the comments...

change it to 8,000 to even get a serious debater...then prepare yourself :P
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
1000 characters? You realize no one will accept this, right?
Vote Placed by bobbyluig 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited a round so conduct to Con. Also, S