AimeeGleek17
AbandonedSpring

Ban beauty contests

Started: 10/19/2014 Category: Fashion

AimeeGleek17

Con

Accept or not
AbandonedSpring

Pro

I accept! good luck to my opponent!
AimeeGleek17

Con

A ban is a very blunt instrument with which to attack a practice. Banning beauty contests would do little to destroy the ideal of beauty as it is prevalent in many other areas of society which are unrelated to Beauty Pageants such as advertising, fashion and the entertainment industry. The only result of a ban will simply be to reduce the choice of women " who of course do choose to participate. Choice is fundamentally a good thing and everyone should have as much choice as possible so long as they are not limiting the choice of others.
People participate in the beauty pageants voluntarily and are not forced to do it. They choose to participate in them. Should it be illegal for people to dress up, use lots of make-up, have fun and potentially win prizes? If people want to participate in them why should we stop them? Also, as long as there brain is more developed than a pile of mush, shouldn"t they be able to make up their mind on whether or not they want to do it? People participate in beauty pageants because they want to, not because they are forced. Pretty much, all a beauty pageant is, are people trying to win stuff, have fun and show off a bit. It is not as bad as millions of people smoking and getting lung cancer is it?
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Hello and thanks for starting this debate!

I'd like to begin by stating that beauty pageants are not the choice of women- rather their parents. Since the topic if fairly vague, I'd like to interpret the meaning to, "Ban Child Beauty Pageants". This way, the choice is up to the young adult, who wishes to be a part of something as vile a beauty pageant.

Because I have given my argument, and have used so little space, I will jump into rebuttals early.

"The only result of a ban will simply be to reduce the choice of women " who of course do choose to participate"

As I said earlier, the choice is not up to the girls, but to the parent who want "the best" for their daughter, yet are willing to put them in an environment where they are forced to look be a part of something that will change them. Something that has cause eating disorders, something that has caused hurt in the world of our young girls- something that is as despicable as that.

It's terrible to think that parent of a small, young girl are okay with putting them in situations, and it is irresponsible. Not to mention the lack of self-esteem associated with not winning.

Next: "Should it be illegal for people to dress up, use lots of make-up, have fun and potentially win prizes?"

I suppose not, however this does sound like a prostitute getting ready for a big night, which I might add is already illegal in the majority of America. What your missing out on is how if a woman want to put on makeup and have fun, she should be a allowed to do so. If a parent wants to put a pound of makeup on theirs toddlers face, then they should not be allowed to do so.

"all a beauty pageant is, are people trying to win stuff, have fun and show off a bit. It is not as bad as millions of people smoking and getting lung cancer is it?"

I'm not sure why lung cancer relates to this topic, nor did you explain how it did, so it's invalid.

Thanks you, I am now finished.
AimeeGleek17

Con

One of the largest issues that deals with Child hood beauty pageants is the problem of little children being forced to be dressed in sexualising costumes, that ruins their innocence and such. However it should be pointed out that a childhood beauty pageant ranges til the age of 18 years old. A 18 year old girl is allowed to choose to do a beauty pageant and if she wishes to wear something revealing. What will we achieve by banning the pageants other than a huge amount of protest and disapproval? Just because showing off may not be the best thing in the world why should we ban it?It is wrong to ban something because people look up to it and think they are not as good. Most people are intelligent enough to not do crazy things when they see someone prettier than them. It's like taking away a sport from little girls. It helps them prepare for possible job when they get older. Maybe they will be a model, this will help them prepare and practice for that. It also takes away from all the people that work to do these. More jobs getting taking away.
Studies have shown that competing in a beauty pageant is a great way for young women to develop themselves, and their career for the future. Competing in a beauty pageant can also increase someone"s confidence. Many people look down on beauty pageants because it can be degrading for young women. But that is far from the truth. Many young women who compete in pageants do compete, to win scholarship money or to be a role model for other young ladies. It is a great way to display talents that young women have been holding in, waiting to show everyone. Most women lose confidence by judging the way they look. A beauty pageant can defeat that bad feeling that young women have towards themselves for the way they look.
it also depends on the child, and the "state" their in. Like if they're healthy for the pageant, or they have the right characteristics to adapt to such an environment. Some children don't mind all the attention, or getting loudly ordered all the time
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Since my position and arguments have already been affirmed, I will jump straight into rebuttals. Also, since you did not offer a counter argument on my interpretation of the topic, I must assume you agree. Thus, I will move on.

"One of the largest issues that deals with Child hood beauty pageants is the problem of little children being forced to be dressed in sexualising costumes, that ruins their innocence and such. However it should be pointed out that a childhood beauty pageant ranges til the age of 18 years old."

I would definitely agree with this. Children is beauty pageants are dressed like dolls, and are made to wear a lot of makeup. Is this fair? To deprive a young girl of playing outside with her friends? To instead stick her in a place she already hates, which a bunch of fake people she will learn to hate? The answer is, it's not. It's simply not fair. Also, you said, "it should be pointed out that childhood beauty pageant ranges till the age of 18". This is true, as I stated in my argument. But like I said, I don't really care about the 18 year olds. They're old enough to choose for themselves. It's the little girls that don't have a choice that are the issue.

"Maybe they will be a model, this will help them prepare and practice for that. It also takes away from all the people that work to do these. More jobs getting taking away."

Not to be rude, but this is a ridiculous statement. The key statement is maybe. I'd say about 1% have a shot at being a model. The rest will grow up knowing nothing else but makeup. The fact that they have a minimized chance of success in life afterwards is also extremely unfair to these girls.

"Studies have shown that competing in a beauty pageant is a great way for young women to develop themselves, and their career for the future. Competing in a beauty pageant can also increase someone"s confidence. Many people look down on beauty pageants because it can be degrading for young women."

If you can't cite these studies, then they don't exist. I can say I live with a tiger, but does that make it true? No, you would need evidence to back it up. Also, as someone who has gone to public school, I recognize that no one has any self-esteem. Don't tell me that a superficial contest is actually boosting self-esteem.

" Many young women who compete in pageants do compete, to win scholarship money or to be a role model for other young ladies. "

Alright, THIS is the most ridiculous statement. I don't know if you have seen many pageants or not,but I have seen several episodes of Honey Boo Boo, and I can tell you, there is most likely no scholarship money to be won over there.

"Most women lose confidence by judging the way they look. A beauty pageant can defeat that bad feeling that young women have towards themselves for the way they look."

Wait, I lied. This is the most ridiculous statement. You're trying to tell me that woman get said when they judge themselves, but happy when others do the same? That's magical.

"it also depends on the child, and the "state" their in. Like if they're healthy for the pageant, or they have the right characteristics to adapt to such an environment. Some children don't mind all the attention, or getting loudly ordered all the time"

This further proves my point. Most children are not mature enough to know if they can handle it, or not. All the more reason to ban it for out toddlers. However, as a person who has been ordered around as a kid, I can tell you I hated it, and couldn't do anything about it.

Thanks, I am finished.
AimeeGleek17

Con

"Is this fair? To deprive a young girl of playing outside with her friends? To instead stick her in a place she already hates, which a bunch of fake people she will learn to hate"
Not all children like playing outside it is stereotypical to say that all children like playing outside, what about children who like reading or little girls who want to dress up and have fun. Also they may not hate all the people in the pageants some people become friends and our little girls who want to join in with her friends not all children are forced. Yes I agree that some little girls join because of their mothers but not all do and it must be pointed out that many who do beauty contests until they are older and stay in the profession would not have got that far if they hadn't been put in as children or had opportunity's.

"The rest will grow up knowing nothing else but makeup. The fact that they have a minimized chance of success in life afterwards is also extremely unfair to these girls."
This is a ridiculous statement not being rude but beauty contests teach more then make up they teach children how to perform in front of a crowd, eliminate stage fright, teach some of them to sing and dance, work in a group and win/lose gracefully. Women in corporate America are excelling way past their male counterparts because many of them come from pageantry competitions. They can think on their feet, address a crowd, entertain, teach and enlighten while their young male colleagues loathe to speak to an audience after a childhood spent playing video games. Yes, we are teaching girls that looks matter. Guess what, looks do matter. Should we be botoxing our teens? Probably not. But I don't see a problem teaching kids to eat right and count a few calories so they don't get fat as they grow older.

"I have seen several episodes of Honey Boo Boo, and I can tell you, there is most likely no scholarship money to be won over there."
Your exposure to beauty contests from shows like toddlers and tiaras and Honey Boo Boo are staged and scripted for drama they don't show the full picture of the contests only what they want you to see which is DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA.
And they do win scoarships: Miss America's Outstanding Teen To receive a scholarship through this organization, you must enter a Miss America's Outstanding Teen pageant. Ages 12 to 18 are eligible to enter the competition and must be a U.S. citizen. Contestants are judged on beauty, poise, academics and talent. National and state winners are eligible for scholarship prizes. Miss Teenage California Scholarship Pageant The winner of this pageant receives $10,000, as of 2011, to attend the school of her choice. Additional prizes include $500 cash, paid entry to the national competition and $500 towards wardrobe expenses. Most photogenic and most likely to succeed receive a $1,000 scholarship each. Contestants are judged on academic and extracurricular achievements, personality and the appearance in formal wear. No swimsuit or talent portion is required. Teens living in California who are over the age of 12 can participate in the scholarship pageant. Universal Royalty Beauty Pageant Winners of this beauty pageant can receive anywhere from $2,000 to $10,000 towards college. Categories judged include formal wear, facial beauty, talent, wardrobe and talent. Babies, children and teens are all eligible to participate in the pageant. Pageants are held statewide and nationally. American Junior Miss The beauty pageant awards scholarships through their Distinguished Young Women fund. Participants must compete in the following categories: scholastics, interview, talent and fitness. Local winners advance to state competitions while state winners compete in the national pageant. Award amounts range from $1,000 to $40,000 for the top prize winner. http://www.ehow.com...
"If you can't cite these studies, then they don't exist."
There are many cases where beauty contests have boosted often bullied children's self esteem as others.http://www.lowcountrynewspapers.net...
Contestant Allie Richardson, 7 had the following to say about competing in the pageants: "I like doing the pageants because theyre fun and I like making new friends. Sometimes I get to be in other pageants with my friends. And when my friends win, then I"m really happy for them.- See more at: http://www.betterparenting.com...
I am finished
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Hello, I will begin our final round by jumping straight into rebuttals

First,
Not all children like playing outside it is stereotypical to say that all children like playing outside,"

This is found ironic. You're trying to stereotype girls into a category of "makeup and self-esteem issues", and then you say I stereotype children. Well I do, as a person who has somewhat recently been a child, I can say that I played outside with girls and boys- and we had a good time doing it too.

"This is a ridiculous statement not being rude but beauty contests teach more then make up they teach children how to perform in front of a crowd, eliminate stage fright, teach some of them to sing and dance, work in a group and win/lose gracefully. Women in corporate America are excelling way past their male counterparts because many of them come from pageantry competitions. "

Your right when you say they teach more then make up- they teach children to strive for perfection. They teach them to strive to be judged by other people. They are taught be be impressive in the eyes of others. Also, the final statement got to me. Women are not excelling in America, and it's because of blatant sexism. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sexist, and I understand wanes rights is an issue that exists today, namely in the work place. Also, even if women were in a position of power in America, it is most likely they never participated in pageants. Unless you are able to prove that they have participated, this argument is invalid.

"They can think on their feet, address a crowd, entertain, teach and enlighten while their young male colleagues loathe to speak to an audience after a childhood spent playing video games. Yes, we are teaching girls that looks matter. Guess what, looks do matter. Should we be botoxing our teens? Probably not. But I don't see a problem teaching kids to eat right and count a few calories so they don't get fat as they grow older."

First, if you think that all pageant girls can think on their feet, you clearly have not seen this: https://www.youtube.com...

Next, heres the thing, looks don't matter. What matters is whether or not you can be a self-sustaining member of society. You should not have to be a liability simply because your parents wanted you to be judged in front of people. I'm not saying teens can't count calories, that's not the issue. The issue is the eating disorders the girls are put through to look, in your words, "pretty".

"Your exposure to beauty contests from shows like toddlers and tiaras and Honey Boo Boo are staged and scripted for drama they don't show the full picture of the contests only what they want you to see which is DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA."

I'll admit that maybe that was not the best example, however, I can say that Honey Boo Boo, while not a very intelligent show, shows us a somewhat bright side of things. One could interpret it to as she doesn't care about what others think, nor will she skip a meal to look good. However, she did stop pageants, so that would probably be the reason why she hasn't developed these disorders. Also, like you stated, they don't show the full picture.

Alright, from this section on you talk about money, so I will just rebut one statement since it basically gives your entire argument.

"Contestants are judged on beauty, poise, academics and talent. National and state winners are eligible for scholarship prizes. Miss Teenage California Scholarship Pageant The winner of this pageant receives $10,000, as of 2011,"

First, I'd like to state that academics are obviously not the most important part of that competition. If you disagree, maybe you need to watch the previous video once again. Also, the key word would be "THE" winner. As in one. Yea, it must be amazing to be the winner (for about 25 minutes), but what about all the other girls? Now they have been judged, and declared losers.

Also, I love how you rebutted, "If you can't cite these studies, then they don't exist." Namely because the article you gave interviewed the winner, and her mother! Of course her self-esteem is going to be raised! I refuse to believe that you read that article before you pressed paste, and for that reason, your argument is even more invalid than the last time you tried it.

and finally,

"Contestant Allie Richardson, 7 had the following to say about competing in the pageants: "I like doing the pageants because theyre fun and I like making new friends. Sometimes I get to be in other pageants with my friends. And when my friends win, then I"m really happy for them.- See more at: http://www.betterparenting.com......
I am finished"

SHE'S SEVEN! She isn't old enough or mature enough to recognize what's going on. Most likely she's reading off a script. Which reiterated my point. Beauty pageants should not be allowed for children that are too young to decide whether they want to be there or not. Mainly because it's not their choice to join, it's their parents.

Also, you rebutted like 4 of my arguments, when I offered several more. A pageant to an 18 year old is different to a girl that's 7.

Thanks
Posted by lori17224 2 years ago
lori17224
Nice debate just 1 question. How do you know that a little girl will like playing outside. Ive always hated playing outside.