AimeeGleek17
Mizu_chi

Ban junk food from schools.

AimeeGleek17

Con

Accept or Not
Mizu_chi

Pro

I am for the ban of junk food in schools because by doing so, the younger generation are not as exposed to very unhealthy foods as they are as of now. Yes,there is definitely no way that people will never ever ever eat junk food because I mean, Mac Donald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc. are found almost anywhere however, by banning junk food in school,students have lesser chances of being exposed to junk food school is a place where students go to almost everyday of their lives,and seeing junk food sold in the cafeteria may make students who are not yet exposed to junk food become more and more curious,and more and more interested in what junk food taste liken taking the first step to buy them,they may realise that it doesn't taste as good as they hoped it would be, or,they may become addicted to the taste,and crave for more(and example is the documentary "Super sized Me",where the test subject did indeed become addicted to eating processed foods from Mac Donald's").This will then become a cycle that is similar to being on drugs,where one will not be able to resist the want to have the same particular type of food (in this case,the unhealthy overly processed foods).This leads to possible eating disorders and may cause health issues like diabetes(Type 2) as well as obesity,which causes a chain of other health issues.
AimeeGleek17

Con

By banning junk food you're just making kids more sneaky, because nobody's going to give up junk food. I mean what are they going to do, check everyone's lunch everyday to make sure it's all healthy food? That would consume so much time, why don't you just cut it down and let the kids eat what they want at lunch, but they have to have a healthy snack in the morning like most public & high schools do, but then again were in high school you're not going to control our decisions for much longer let alone what we eat. Most teenagers smoke weed, and it's illegal, but it doesn't stop them because most feel like it doesn't affect them, neither does junk food, so in the end, you can't change what we consume.It may make sense for a school board to ban junk foods in some cases, but there are several issues that should be considered.

To begin with, there is the problem of defining junk food. Are we talking about potato chips, soda, and pastries? What about fried chicken fingers, cheeseburgers, and pizza" foods many school cafeterias serve?
Mizu_chi

Pro

I do understand where you are coming from,however, think about it this way, by banning junk foods (defined as foods with too much fats,too much sugar and too little nutrition according to the RDI(Recommended/Reference Daily Intake), this means that the school is not encouraging these foods for the students in the school. While I do believe that schools should not keep tight control over what a student eats, I believe that at least,by changing the meal menus in the school, this means that one less big organisation is not for junk food,and it makes it less acceptable for youths to be extravagantly eating junk food as some may feel guilty about sneaking in junk foods. They are of course, able to still eat all the junk they want outside school, but at least inside school, you know that there are less chances of it happening.
I believe that pizzas, hamburgers and tacos are some of the foods that are actually both junk foods and a perfectly good meal,depending on what ingredients are found in the food items listed above . A great example would be changing the sausage bits of the pizza to something like white chicken breasts that have been boiled properly,and adding broccoli to the pizza, as well as using whole grain wheat for the base. The cheese,being high in protein, garnishes the whole meal perfectly. This is still a pizza, but so much more healthier yet still sounding pretty appetising, so then cafeterias can still serve students delectable foods without destroying their livers like deep fried chicken nuggets and processed sausages do.
Another thing is that students may be having all the junk food they want because the health issues are still not seen on their bodies yet. Just like drugs,one May believe that it does not affect them because they do not feel the effects yet. We humans have a very strange way of attaining realisation,because sometimes if we do not see it happening,we will never be convinced that that particular consequence will hurt us no matter what other people say. This is why by the time addicts realise what they have done to their bodies, they already cannot turn back. Just like junk food, when one finally realises they are not right somewhere, it may already be too late, he or she cannot erase the diabetes away anymore. So then, they may start blaming schools for saying it's okay to eat junk foods, which could be avoided by banning them in the first place. By saying that "it is not alright to be eating foods too high in saturated fats, sugars and carbohydrates", students are more compelled to think that "it is not alright to be eating junk food" too,and though this may be argued to seem something minute, it is still a progress towards getting off the junk food spree.
AimeeGleek17

Con

They wont feel guilty as if they have been getting junk food then schools suddenly take it away then it becomes something they will try to get which could cause them getting in to trouble for.Having the junk food with the healthy food is supposed to teach the students a lesson in healthy eating, everything in moderation. Sure junk food tends to have more fat and sugars than say bananas, but if you eat only bananas, you miss out on some nutrients, same goes for an all junk food diet. Teachers, administration and lunch ladies should be educating students about healthy eating at school.Junk food should not be banned because if kids want to eat junk food they can. The parents decide what the children eat, Not the principle! The principle is not the parent of the children. If parents ok it and let the kids have it in moderation it is ok. Just because a kid eats some junk food doesn't mean they will get chunky fat.Students should be smart enough to know that too much of any kind of food is going to make you gain some extra pounds. Junk food isn't good for you, but it also won't necessarily kill you, if in moderation. Students who study hard and really work for their grades, should be able to treat themselves to a nice treat during lunch, aka a form of junk food.
If people do not like junk food then they should not eat it. If parents are worried about their kids getting fat by eating junk food then the parents should be the ones worrying about it. You should be allowed to eat what you want and not have bans on food just because other people do not like it.
Mizu_chi

Pro

First and foremost,I just realised that you didn't post a reason for your stand in the first round while I did,so it's sort of unfair to you,and thus I think that I should only give 1 argument so you can catch up all the other points you want to say.I am really sorry for not realising that you did not post anything for the first round and fought that the "accept or not" phrase was a question asked by the system administrative and,well,I'm so sorry.
okay now I have repented, and now I will talk about my last reason.
The fact that freedom of choice should be given in a freely manner like that is too much.Why would there be a need for the choice of Junk food in school when the junk can be changed to something like Healthy pizza and baked potato? They are still pretty good tasting without all the added calories and cholesterol.Junk food really doesn't have any beneficial nutrients,and f there is,there are so many better foods to substitute it.Fats are essential to the body you may say,and yes,I agree.Therefore the processed,non-natural oils found in junk food should be thrown away and changed to something like almonds.That way,the junk food is actually not needed in systems)
The end
AimeeGleek17

Con

AimeeGleek17 forfeited this round.
Mizu_chi

Pro

- ended my arguments with the previous one because I think it's unfair that I didn't give her the same opportunities to sell out her point as I have.Im so sorry once again-