debatingequality
ChosenWolff

Ban on Assault Weapons

ChosenWolff

debatingequality

Pro

I stongly believe there should be a ban on assualt weapons in the United States.
debatingequality

Pro

Thank you for excepting my debate. Over the last few years, we have seen a growing number of gun massacres in the United States. From 1982-2012, sixty-two gun massacres were committed. Amongst those sixty-two mass shootings, fourteen of those massacres were committed with an assault weapon. Sandy Hook, Columbine, Aurora and many other massacres caused many deaths due to assault weapons. Banning these guns would have saved many lives. For example, at the Sandy Hook shooting, a Bushmaster M4 Type Carbine was utilized. This gun holds thirty rounds of ammunition, fully automatic. Adam Peter Lanza took the lives of twenty seven people with that gun. If assault weapons were banned, he wouldn"t have had the opportunity to murder twenty-seven people. Civilians in the the United States shouldn"t have access to Assault Weapons.

I also have question. Why do civilians in the United States need assault weapons?

http://www.motherjones.com...

ChosenWolff

Con

ChosenWolff forfeited this round.
debatingequality

Pro

debatingequality forfeited this round.
ChosenWolff

Con

ChosenWolff forfeited this round.
debatingequality

Pro

My opponent didn't participate in this debate.
ChosenWolff

Con

Let me first state, that I am not a fan for gun nut culture. I simply acknowledge the constitution, and that there was reasoning behind our desicion to allow citizens to form well regulated defense groups. Good luck!

I. Assault Rifles are healthy for the economy

The US has a lucrative monopoly on the arms trade. Most of the weapons around the world, originate from the US or Russia. Our nation is the #1 in terms of quality and quantity, even beating the Russian attempts at knocking out cheap post WW2 rifles to third world nations.

What nation purcases the most weapons? The United States of course....

Not only are we the biggest arms producer, but also the largest gun consuming nation. How does this relate? Well, lets look how much money is produced from arms sales.

The US is making about 70 billion a decade on arms sales, with much being consumed by Americans themselves. The end point is, that we can't restrict rifles from Americans, without restricting foreign sales. If we were to do that, we would be hypocritical and criticized. Also, Russia and China will completely control the foreign arms trade, and whomever controls the arms trade, controls the world.

II. The Assault Rifle isn't the problem

The gun isn't the problem. It's the culture associated with it. You can take away a gun, but people will just buy all the guns that have already circulated. This wouldn't be a problem if were a nation like Italy, but we have 10's of millions with guns. People willing to commit illegal acts with an assault rifle, will likely commit illegal acts in getting one.

We need to focus on gun culture itself. Make guns not look cool. Make people more safe. Taking them away isn't the answer.

III. Putting a Ban into effect

It is never wise to work against the majority. Have we learned nothing of prohibition? If we ban guns, millions of people will turn to crime, which means 1000's of gangs. 60 million gun nuts will storm the white house (metaphorically), and eventually legislation will just reverse the effect. Banning guns = Chaos.
Posted by debatingequality 2 years ago
debatingequality
ten thousand
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
What's the character limit?
Posted by debatingequality 2 years ago
debatingequality
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
I have one day and 7 hours. Since you asked, I'll write my argument now.
Posted by debatingequality 2 years ago
debatingequality
Yes but it's been almost two day.
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
You gave me three days, right?
Posted by debatingequality 2 years ago
debatingequality
Is my opponent going to post his argument?
Vote Placed by cwt002 2 years ago
cwt002
debatingequalityChosenWolffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con provided more reliable sources and evidence for the argument.
Vote Placed by XLAV 2 years ago
XLAV
debatingequalityChosenWolffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had a bigger case and a better reason than Pro to why we should not ban assault weapons. Guns are not the problem, its the people who use them. It is true, however, that assault weapons can kill more people than a pistol. Con's argument that individuals who are williing to commit illegal acts can also get illegal guns is good rebutal for Pro's "legal big guns kills more" when the certain individual can get an assault rifle illegaly. Arguments to Con. The spelling and grammar, conduct, and sources are a tie.