HostileBelief
Rational_Thinker9119

Ban on Moshing

Started: 6/28/2013 Category: Arts

HostileBelief

Con

In this debate, we will be talking about the ban on moshing. Not too long ago, Warped Tour banned moshing and now because I'm exteremly curious, I would like to debate with someone who is in favor of the ban on moshing just so I can PWN them.

Here's How the Schedule will work

1. My Opponent will accept in round one and not make any introducition and points in round one

2. In Round two, Introduction and points will be addressed by both parties

3. In Round 3-4 is rebuddling the other side

4. in round 5, it's the closing arguments
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

HostileBelief

Con

Hello Everyone and welcome to this debate. We will be talking both Rational Thinker and I will be discusssing about whether or not to ban moshing in concerts. Rational Thinker in favor of the motion to ban but against the motion is I which I will represent to the best of mhy ability. For those who dont know what moshing is, I will give you this definition from Urban Dictionary

Moshing:
A dancing style closely associated with heavy/rock music. When people mosh they often knock into other people and move their head in time to the music. A group of people all moshing is called a mosh pit.

This moshing could be a variety of pushing, shoving, violently waving legs and arms around. As the definition states, it happens around usually rock, punk and metal music. Now you might be wondering what triggered me to challenge someone with this specific debate. Around a week, it was annoncced that a week ago, the band called Bring Me The Horizon and their lead man, Oliver Sykes announced that there will be no moshing or wall of death at warped tour. This action was raised by a parent of 12 year old child who got in the mosh pit. Because of this current event, it has motivated me to speak out against the parents who think that moshing is so much of a threat that it needs to be banned. Against the wusses that didnt take a chance. Here are my reasons as to why I think the ban should not happen.

1. Its Not As Bad As People Think It Is
On the internet or on the news, we hear about the violence in mosh pits. Lets clarify the misconceptions of moshing. First of all, for the most part, most people in a mosh pit will push verses people who are waving their arms and legs violently. Those people that are waving their arms around are usually ranging from 3-5 if the pit is small. 6-8 if the pit is very big. For the people that are pushing each other around and if the event someone falls, most people would usually pick you up.

2. It's a Way to Get Some Anger Out
Now when I say this, I dont mean that the people who are moshing hate each other but rather one of the reasons why we might mosh is because its a good way to release negative thoughts. Corey from Slipknot commented on moshing in Metal: A Headbangers Journey. In the documentary, Corey comments that while moshing is somewhat dangerous, they a are great way to let go of that baggage that someone may feel. Psychologists mentioned from the first episode of Metal:Evolution mention that if heavier and or fast music is being played, then it is good for the individuals health.

Thats just to start off with a few points. I would write more but Im almost out of time(not that Im complaining about not having enough) and Im tired. Im very intrigued to see my opponents point of view and how he defends the ban. Thank you

Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

Introduction

1. It's Not As Bad As People Think It Is

My opponent says that the number of people who wave their arms and legs violently are somewhere in the range of 3 -8. However, this is a red herring. My opponent only speaks about the people in the middle, while all the other people on the outside are still engaged in violent dancing. It is not just pushing and shoving either, people trample over other people and they get injured:

Not only that but I have seen Mosh Pits where females get trampled like nothing, and people actually elbow each other in the face, and it is not just shoving. Mosh Pits also cause violence because not everyone wants to be involved, but because it is so hectic, people who are trying to avoid it may get shoved against their will. Mosh Pits happen so fast that some people cannot avoid it in time. People get badly hurt at these things. Below is a picture of Jamie Craig, who got badly injured in a Mosh Pit[1]:

My opponent is simply downplaying the cost of Mosh Pitting. People get too excited, and chaos occurs. Banning Mosh Pits can only be a good thing, as violent dancing like that is unnecessary and does more harm than good.

2. It Is A Way To Get Some Anger Out

It is a way to get some anger out, but it is not a good way as it is taking it out on other people. Even if it is an accident, you are still asking for an elbow in the face at one of these things. It is best to take your anger out on a punching bag, so you cannot hurt anyone else. This type of letting your anger out has proven to lead to unnecessary injuries. The ban is the smartest move in all reality.

My Argument In Favor Of The Ban

People Get Injured and Die In Mosh Pits

I already proved that people get injured in Mosh Pits due to animalistic dancing. Not only that, but 17 year old Bernadette O'Brien died in 1996 in a Moth Pit. September 24, 2007, another male died in a Mosh Pit. [2]

"Injuries have been reported in Mosh Pits, and a few deaths have occurred in a 'Wall of Death'"[2]

Con wants us to allow useless animalistic violent dancing to occur, why? People are going to risk getting injured and dying for no good reason at all. If you want to release your anger; go to the gym.

Mosh Pitting does way more harm than good. Thus, the ban was justified. Why should people be allowed to violently dance this way? It is a truly bizarre and unnecessary ritual that just spells disaster.

Vote Pro.

[1] http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
HostileBelief

Con

HostileBelief forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

I thought I was going to get "PWN"ed? Oh well. vote Pro.
HostileBelief

Con

HostileBelief forfeited this round.
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

My arguments stand.
HostileBelief

Con

I would first of all would like to apoligize to my opponent for not responding over the past couple of rounds. It was rude of me to not respond to any of his arguments. I was in fact extreemly tired but that doesn't give me the exucese to almost abandon the debate. If it's alright with my opponent and assumeing that this debate might be continued, I would like to continue it.

Regarding my first poimt, I would like to mention that it really depends on what kind of mosh pit you are in. Assuming that my Rational Thinker has actually been into a mosh pit, he should know that there's small, large and regualar size. First off, I must ask where did you find the first photo? I would like to see what concert that was. I would also like to see some footage of people violently waving their limbs around. It would be very much apperiated. You also say that the example I brought up is a red herring. That really depends on the metal concert. I mean if were talking Slayer then I understand (not understand as in I agree but understand as I see why you would take a position) but if were at a Asking Alexandria concert then that's a totally different story.

You also say that there are situations where people don't want to get involved in the mosh pit. I find this illogical because people who are in the mosh pit want to wave their limbs around. They want to get into contact of others and yeah it sucks when someones gets roughed up but people who is in the pit want to mosh. They clearly want to be in the mosh pit. As sucky as it is that Jamie Craig got hurt in the mosh pit badly and you go on further in your debate to point out people have died. Yes it does suck that those people have died but that group is a small minority.

Choosing a punching bag over a mosh pit sound interesting and more durabl however what if your not in to sports, what if your not into working out? What if you want to just mosh and that's it?

Also if you are concerned about people getting hurt, There are saftey tips in order to have a safe mosh. Hope you enjoy!
Rational_Thinker9119

Pro

I urge voters to forget Round 3 and Round 4, and to judge the debate based on the full rounds of argumentation completed by both me and my opponent.

Kinds of Mosh Pit

My opponent attempts to qualify differences in types of mosh pits. However, they are unpredictable. The potential of the type of mosh pit seems really hard to predict. If it is involving a really heavy band, or a well known band, the odds are extremely high at that the event will turn chaotic sooner rather than later.

"I would like to see what concert that was. I would also like to see some footage of people violently waving their limbs around." - Pro

I am not sure which concert the picture was from. However, I provided a video of people violently waving there limbs around. Those kids were weak, so there was a low chance of injury. However, there are serious mosh pits where people do that and get injured. Also, there are very heavy bands on the warped tour.

"You also say that there are situations where people don't want to get involved in the mosh pit. I find this illogical because people who are in the mosh pit want to wave their limbs around. They want to get into contact of others and yeah it sucks when someone's gets roughed up but people who is in the pit want to mosh. " - Pro

It is not illogical. I have been to a show where everyone is getting hyped, but not moshing. Then, the band will play a song that everyone knows, or mosh to often, then people will start moshing without a chance to escape. People who do not want to be involved might get trampled. Girls get trampled.

"As sucky as it is that Jamie Craig got hurt in the mosh pit badly and you go on further in your debate to point out people have died. Yes it does suck that those people have died but that group is a small minority." - Pro

"That group is a small minority"? Tell that to their families. Mosh Pitting is useless. You can dance without mosh pitting violently, and you get let anger out with the risk of hurting other people.

"Choosing a punching bag over a mosh pit sound interesting and more durable however what if your not in to sports, what if your not into working out? What if you want to just mosh and that's it?" - Pro

What if I'm not into consensual sex? What if I just want to rape? It doesn't matter what you want. If you are a risk to others, you should not do it

"Also if you are concerned about people getting hurt, There are safety tips in order to have a safe mosh. Hope you enjoy!"

Nobody is going to go to a concert with knee pads and elbow pads. The above was not a serious response.

My opponent had the burden of proof to demonstrate that the Warped Tour should not have banned Mosh Pitting. All his arguments failed; the resolution has been affirmed.

Posted by wiggityp 4 years ago
wiggityp
If you can clarify the definition of 'moshing' for the debate I will have a go with you.