Nyctasha
Kumquatodor

Banning Polygamy ( Having More Than 1 Wife/Husband )

Nyctasha

Pro

For my future opponent :

Round 1 : Acceptance of the Topic
Round 2 : Rebuttal and additional statements
Round 3 : Summarization
Round 4 : Final Rebuttal

Acceptance :

Let me ask you ( The Readers ) a question. Do you like people so much that you want to marry 3 of them?

Polygamy is having more than 1 spouse. I believe we should ban it for safety purposes.
Kumquatodor

Con

Hello. This is my fist debate since I returned to the site. I've been off for a year, and I'm happy to get back to the old grind.

So, I accept. Good luck.
Nyctasha

Pro

Hello Mr. Opponent!

'bout time we start.

Polygamy (from Late Greek `0;_9;_5;`5;^7;^5;_6;^3;^5;, polygamia, "state of marriage to many spouses" or "frequent marriage") is a marriage that includes more than two partners and falls under the broader category of Consensual Non-Monogamy. When a man is married to more than one wife at a time, the relationship is called polygyny; and when a woman is married to more than one husband at a time, it is called polyandry. If a marriage includes multiple husbands and wives, it can be called polyamory, group or conjoint marriage. The term is used in related ways in social anthropology, sociology, as well as in popular speech. In contrast, monogamy is a marriage consisting of only two parties. Like monogamy, the term polygamy is often used in a de facto sense, applied regardless of whether the relationship is recognized by the state. In sociobiology and zoology, polygamy is used in a broad sense to mean any form of multiple mating.

In countries that do not permit polygamy, a person who marries a second person while still being lawfully married is committing the crime of bigamy.

Globally, acceptance of polygamy is common. According to the Ethnographic Atlas, of 1,231 societies noted, 186 were monogamous; 453 had occasional polygyny; 588 had more frequent polygyny; and 4 had polyandry. At the same time, even within societies that allow polygyny, the actual practice of polygyny occurs unevenly. There are exceptions: in Senegal, for example, nearly 47 percent of marriages are multiple. Within polygynous societies, multiple wives often become a status symbol denoting wealth, power, and fame. Polyandry is less rare than the figure commonly cited in the Ethnographic Atlas (1980), which listed only those examples found in the Himalayan mountains (28 societies). More recent studies have found more than 50 more societies that practice polyandry.

Zeitzen states that Western perceptions of African society and marriage patterns are biased by "contradictory concerns of nostalgia for traditional African culture versus critique of polygamy as oppressive to women or detrimental to development. Many international human rights organizations as well as women's rights groups in many countries have called for its abolition. The practice has been ruled to violate the ICCPR (International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights) and the United Nations has recommended that the practice be abolished.

( source : http://en.wikipedia.org... )

Why we should ban Polygamy :

Refuting allegations that polygamy helps reduce the rate of poverty among struggling widows and orphans, a medical study conducted by the Croatian Medical Journal in African nations that legalized the practice found the odds are more likely that families of men having the right to marry multiple wives will conceive more children for whom it would cost more to provide. The study also noted that the temptation for sexual intercourse that has often come with polygamy, regardless of whether a man has multiple wives or vice versa, has been a major contributor to the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa as well.

Also, a 2012 study from the University of British Columbia shows that, in polygamist cultures, "the intra-sexual competition that occurs causes greater levels of crime, violence, poverty and gender inequality than in societies that institutionalize and practice monogamous marriage".

Polygamy leads to uncountable intimate relationships with not but 1 woman, but with many of them. I believe we should ban Polygamy because it's encouraging men ( and some women ) to think they have the right to just marry people. It can also lead to spousal abuse if the man/woman is not satisfied.

I am done with my case.

I shall hear the Opposition's side. Thank You! :)
Kumquatodor

Con

Hello yourself, Mr Opponent!

I'm not good a fragrant pleasentries or long-winded opening statements, so I guess I'll cut straight to refuting my opponents' argument (gosh, I hope I don't sound too arrogant when I say that)!

Polygamy leads to uncountable intimate relationships with not but 1 woman, but with many of them.

So? Why is this wrong? Why should it be banned on that basis? Should we ban the open marriages, too?

I believe we should ban Polygamy because it's encouraging men ( and some women ) to think they have the right to just marry people.

But... they do. They totally have the right to "just mary" people! Why wouldn't they have the right to uncerremoniously marry (providing it's consenual)?

It can also lead to spousal abuse if the man/woman is not satisfied.

Monogamous marriage can lead to spousal abuse if one is not satisfied(!), and in face, that does happen. A lot. Should we ban monogamous marriage because some criminals use it to vent their frustration on a partner?

... a medical study... found the odds are more likely that families of men having the right to marry multiple wives will conceive more children for whom it would cost more to provide.

Monogamous marriage also often leads to children that can't be afforded. Why should monogomy not be banned for that? Sure, polygamy has more cases of too many children, but why should the number matter? Is there a limit to how many too-expensive children is "too much" before you ban a kind of marriage?

... [polygamy] has been a major contributor to the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa as well.

And monogomy has been a major contributor to STDs in America, right? The fact of the matter is that if people don't use protection, diseases spread REGARDLESS of type of marriage.

Nyctasha

Pro

Nyctasha forfeited this round.
Kumquatodor

Con

Kumquatodor forfeited this round.
Nyctasha

Pro

Nyctasha forfeited this round.
Kumquatodor

Con

Kumquatodor forfeited this round.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Wish I had the time for this one... Good luck.