Shadowraith
Logical-Master

Banning computer games

Con Tied Pro
Started: 7/22/2009 Category: Technology

Shadowraith

Con

I believe that computer games should not be banned these are some of my reasons:
1: Computer game's are a source of entertainment around the world almost everyone plays them.
2: Computer games help to challenge the mind and keep it alert because you always have to be constently thinking, planning and calculating
and finally....
3: Computer games help to relieve stress i find that for my self there is nothing better than jumping on a game and either killing other people around the world or versing a computer building up an army and annialating an entire civiliztion its one of my favorite things to do after a very stressfull day.
Logical-Master

Pro

I stand in negation of the topic. I'd say computer games should be banned. However, the question is "Banned from what?" I say Computers games should be banned from high school and/or college classes which don't revolve around computer games.

For instance, during my Geology 103 class last year, I had a friend who would play "World of Warcraft" throughout all of the lectures. This friend of mine ended up failing the course, only to repeat it during the summer semester. It's reasonable to conclude that had he not been playing his computer game, he may have had more of an incentive to listen to the lecture and TAKE NOTES. Not to mention that through not paying attention during class, he was simply wasting his (or his parents') tuition money which contributed to him having the opportunity to be in that class in the first place.

In response to my opponent's arguments:

RE: 1: Computer game's are a source of entertainment around the world almost everyone plays them.

Ad populam. Just because almost everyone plays them (a statement which my opponent can't even prove) is a fallacious reason to conclude that computer games are good.

RE: 2: "Computer games help to challenge the mind and keep it alert because you always have to be constently thinking, planning and calculating"

Agreed (in generaly anyway), but one can better accomplish this if he listens to a lecture during class, participates during class or do anything else class related. Not to mention that this serves as a greater benefit an individual moreso than playing computer games as a degree can do so much in terms of a getting a well-paying job.

RE: "3: Computer games help to relieve stress i find that for my self there is nothing better than jumping on a game and either killing other people around the world or versing a computer building up an army and annialating an entire civiliztion its one of my favorite things to do after a very stressfull day."

True, but at the cast of failing courses or otherwise doing poorly? A cost which is most certainly not worthwhile. If one wishes to reduce stress before class, one should simply play computer games before class (after taking care of all other education related matters of course).

============================================================================
Shadowraith

Con

Im just going to say one simple thing...Why??

Why do people play games during class if they know that there going to fail? Its because its their choice they play games because they want to its entirely up to them. If they fail then its there own fault there are people who play games and dont fail there classes during school its all about managing time
Logical-Master

Pro

Since this is a 5 round debate, I'd like to take this opportunity to cross examine my opponent.

CROSS-EXAMINATION:

Question 1) Do you believe individuals who like to rape others should be allowed to rape?

Question 2) Do you believe individuals who like to kill others should be allowed to kill?

Question 3) Do you believe individuals who like to rob banks should be allowed to rob banks?

I look forward to my opponents answers to these questions.
Shadowraith

Con

Shadowraith forfeited this round.
Logical-Master

Pro

Unfortunate, though I'll give my opponent another opportunity to answer my questions.
Shadowraith

Con

Shadowraith forfeited this round.
Logical-Master

Pro

RE:"Why do people play games during class if they know that there going to fail? Its because its their choice they play games because they want to its entirely up to them. "

Basically, my opponent argues that choice grants it to be okay to play video games during class. However, as one may be able to guess based on the intent of my questions, the point I'm making is that one can use this reasoning to justify any one of those actions. Just because you can choose to do something, it does not mean you ought to have the right to do it.

RE: "If they fail then its there own fault there are people who play games"

Just as it'd be someone's own fault if hit a pedestrian while in an automobile. Fortunately, traffic laws are put in place to decrease the odds of individuals being at fault. Just as there are rules used to decrease the amount of fault there, it's just as reasonable to have rules which decrease the amount of fault here as well.

RE: "there are people who play games and dont fail there classes during school "

My point wasn't to dispute whether or not such people exist. What I'm insisting is that playing games during classes decreases the chances of being successful in said classes. Most teachers do not lay out enough information for their students to be able to succeed without attending class or listening to their lectures (otherwise, college would be a whole lot better. :D ).
Shadowraith

Con

Shadowraith forfeited this round.
Logical-Master

Pro

Forfeits are no fun. Vote PRO.
Posted by GoldenLeo 7 years ago
GoldenLeo
Oh I have no qualms in you choosing a particular area to maximise the legitimacy of your argument. I merely felt that the debate had digressed somewhat into a subtopic. However, it must be said that Shadowraith appears to have followed your disputation rather willingly, a little too willingly hence the confusion. Nope, I think his inadequacy has handed you another victory.

Congrats :)
Posted by Logical-Master 7 years ago
Logical-Master
Shadowrait didn't clarif on what particularly video games would be banned in, so I just argued based on what I think they should be banned from, only to edit my arguments had he wanted to clarify on what he meant by the topic. Seeing as how he didn't object to the direction I took this debate in (in fact, he argued under it), I don't see any problems. :)
Posted by GoldenLeo 7 years ago
GoldenLeo
Am I confused or was the intended debate the fact that computer games shouldn't be banned in general? I see no indication that Shadowraith initiated the debate with the ideal that "computer games shouldn't be banned within classes". My point being that the debate has simply been manipulated to only deal with a specific case where computer games should be banned; there has so far been no general outlook.

As I say, it may be that I am mistaken and it was the intention to debate the banning of computer games within classes.
Vote Placed by Pyromaniac 6 years ago
Pyromaniac
ShadowraithLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
ShadowraithLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
ShadowraithLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 7 years ago
Logical-Master
ShadowraithLogical-MasterTied