Banning the letter Q from

This is a result of the treads and polls my opponent has made about this topic.

Full resolution: The letter Q should be banned from

Definition of Q: "The 17th letter of the English alphabet" The website we are currently using to debate this

Ban: "To forbid people from using (something)"

It would be against DDO policy to write "Q" in a post and mods would enforce this policy.
No semantics with the definitions can be made in this debate.

Rules (Made by bsh1 and edited slightly):
1. No forfeits
2. Any citations or sources must be used within the character limit of the debate
3. No new arguments in the final round
4. Maintain a civil and decorous atmosphere
5. No trolling or semantics
6. No K's of the topic
7. My opponent accepts all of the following definitions and waives his/her right to challenge these definitions
8. The BOP is shared
9. Both debaters must follow this format:
R1: Acceptance
R2: Arguments (No rebuttals)
R3: Rebuttals and arguments
R4: Conclusions (No new arguments or rebuttals in this round)
10. Violation of any of these rules or of any of the R1 set-up merits a loss of a conduct point and due to the severity of the breach may merit an entire forfeit of the debate

Thank you and good luck.

I accept the terms and rules of the debate.

Bring it on m8 :) .

Q is currently a very valuable letter to our website. It is used in order to complete many words, such as: Question, Quest, Quilt, Quill, Que, Quiet, etc... The list goes on. Most words that use Q would be grammatically incorrect if replaced with a "KW" My opponent contends that KW would be an appropriate substitute). This means that members would be forced to use incorrect grammar, which is illogical to force them to do.

In addition, new members would be confused by the incorrect use of "KW". Inappropriate use of these two letters in place of Q would make them think we're all incredibly odd and drive them away from the site.

Replacing Q would lead to confusion among the members, and probably cause an uprise, leading to valuable contributors on this site simply leaving in protest to being forced to use improper grammar.

Thanks for reading! Good luck Pro.

I thank Con for his opening argument, I shall start shortly with my arguments.

1. The Letter is an necessary letter.

The letter Q is amongst rarely used letters in the English alphabet. In a study by Samuel Morse (inventor Morse Code), Mr. Morse wanted know how he could get the simplest code out of using the most commonly used words in the English language. He made a chart afterwards documenting the most commonly used letters to the least commonly used. In the first column to the chart he put the letter itself, in the second column he put a percentage meant to represent the prevalence of the word in English, and in the last column he made a scale proportion with the least common letter of the English language (Q) representing 1.

The chart is seen below:

The letter Q is rarely used, it can be replaced by more commonly used letters (this will be elaborated in the succeeding arguments)

2. The letter Q can be easily replaced.

The letter Q can be replaced by the combination of the letters "k" and "w", for example it is spelt "Kwanza" and not "Quanza". The letter Q in many other cased is only there to mimic the letter "k" for example in the words "liquid" or "equator". While many other words would be more phonetic without the Q for example the word "Question" would sound more phonetic as "Kwestion".

3. Other languages have removed certain characters to make the reading more phonetic.

The Japanese syllabary system "Hiragana" acts as the Japanese equivalent to an alphabet. Despite having two other scripts, all sound that could possibly be made in the Japanese language. Over time this script changed constantly before being standardized after WW2, but even then linguistic changes saw the removal and replacement of two characters of the hiragana script.

Here is the original standard script:

Two of the characters |32;(wi) and |33; (we) were replaced over time since these characters were rarely used in everyday prose, and were eventually replaced by the characters {56; (i but pronounced like ee) and {60; (e but pronounced like eh)
For example: The Japanese Kanji 上 meaning "up" "above" or "upper" used to be read as we, but over time became read as ue. The Japanese language did not lose much when they removed the two characters.

Therefore by removing the letter Q one does not only make the language more phonetic (hence easier to read) but also makes the language easier to memorise with less letters necessary to read.

1. This is irrelevant. Just because one thinks we do not commonly use something doesn't mean that we should get rid of it. It leads to many other problems as mentioned earlier. The popularity of the letter itself is irrelevant to the debate, and my opponent does not even show why we would care about it's popularity.

2. This is also irrelevant. The fact that we could easily replace Q with KW has no bearing over whether we should or not. Just because Juggle could easily get rid of Airmax doesn't mean they should. In addition, it would still be grammatically incorrect to replace the letter Q with KW in almost all words. People would be repentant to change and it would be a silky rule to enforce, causing members to leave. Because it would cause an uproar among the community, we can conclude that it would not be easy to replace.

3. Again, my opponent fails to connect how this is related to the debate. Sure, languages have changed over the years. How does that prove that it is beneficial to ban Q? In addition, my opponent claims that it would be easier to read and memorize, but this is again wrong as most would struggle reading something once the spelling has been changed to something they are not familiar to, and DDO does not have any interest in teaching people their ABC's.

My opponent makes assertions that removing Q would be beneficial but fails to explain how.
Thanks for reading this far! Good luck Pro.

"This is irrelevant. Just because one thinks we do not commonly use something doesn't mean that we should get rid of it. "
I had mentioned already in my previous arguments as to how the obscurity of the letter Q was relevant to my resolution. The letter is a replaceable one and a rare one, therefore the English language would mostly benifet from the removal of the letter Q.

R2: "This is also irrelevant. The fact that we could easily replace Q with KW has no bearing over whether we should or not."
As mentioned in my previous rebuttal it is relevant to the overall resolution. Since the letter Q is a replaceable one it is therefore beneficial to replace the letter, I had mentioned in my argument that the removal of the letter would make the English language more phonetic. Phonetic writing systems are easier to read as they are more logical, hence easier to follow. The English language is filled with various grammar rules and exceptions that prevent the language from becoming more phonetic. Therefore the replacement of the letter would be beneficial to the English language.

R3: "Again, my opponent fails to connect how this is related to the debate. Sure, languages have changed over the years."
Once more I had mentioned the relevance of my argument to my previous claim. Many languages had gone through changes that made the writing system seem alien to native speakers, however over time the population began to become more familiar with the text and later on benefited in the long run. This could be seen in China during the 50"s when Chairman Mao replaced the traditional Chinese script with Romanized pinyin and the simplified text and as a result it slowly allowed an increase in the literacy rate in China. This comes as a result of the difficulty that learning traditional script posed to the Chinese population.
Example of that is in the chart below:

The changes in the Chinese script were abrupt but over time the population mostly benefited from an easier to read writing system. Therefore the same could be said with English, through the removal of the letter Q the Anglophone population would eventually benefit over time thanks to a more phonetic alphabet.

Therefore, just like the changes in the Japanese and Chinese language, the English language can change in an abrupt manner to the eventual benefit of English speakers. I had only brought up the previous analogies with Japanese and Chinese to show that artificial changes to writing have happened before in other languages, Japanese and Chinese were the examples given to prove this. Therefore these analogies were relevant to my original resolution.

I thank Con for this debate and await his closing argument, good luck Con.

My opponent's account has been banned, so there's no point in arguing it further.

UtherPenguin forfeited this round.
Posted by Arcanas 1 year ago
Great! :)
Posted by UtherPenguin 1 year ago
Nope, I like that time.
Posted by Arcanas 1 year ago
72 hours. Do you want it to be shortened?
Posted by UtherPenguin 1 year ago
Before accepting this challenge I would like to know how much time each side has left to argue?
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff a round.