Ahking
zander

Barack Obama Would Be a Better President than McCain or Clinton.

Ahking

Pro

I'm sure there are others like me who are very excited about the 2008 presidential election. With so much at stake and some very well qualified candidates across the board, this election will be very historic. I am hoping for a well informed opponent who has a strong position and a good nature towards this topic. Good luck.

This 2008 election marks the end of the George Bush era - one marked by bitter partisan divides overseeing our economy crumble, the war in Iraq fester, the war on Terror stall, and America's standing in the world is diminish to other world powers. This divide amongst liberals and conservatives, free market or government-intervention types, pro-war or anti-war folks is the biggest problem facing our country today above all these issues, because while we stand divided - at home, in the house and in the senate, none of our problems can get solved the right way.

From the Audacity of Hope, Obama writes: "What's troubling is the magnitude of our challenges and the smallness of our politics - the ease with which we are distracted by the petty and trivial, our chronic avoidance of tough decisions, our seeming inability to build a working consensus to tackle any big problem".

Obama is the best person we have to unite this country to solve our problems. From his work in the Illinois state legislature to the U.S Senate, he brings to America a new type of governing, one that is our only hope to overcoming these great struggles. His approach emphasizes the common values that everybody holds dear and he tackles the reality of the issue at hand in a compromise that suits all sides equally.

The stances of the other candidates may be appealing to some, but they are not enough to lead this country. What's best for this country is achieved only by listening to all sides, and Obama has already proven his ability to do so in his "A More Perfect Union" speech which can be seen here on youtube:

He possesses an intelligent and wise mind capable of bridging the gaps of race, wealth, and beliefs to unite us in our common purpose for a better country. Only through unity can the United States of America survive, and only Obama can bring us this unity. That is why he would be a better president than McCain or Clinton.
zander

Con

I'll save my objection of your Bush analysis for a later date.

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Obama is intelligent and a terrific speaker.

The only problem is that that is where the list ends.

As a Republican, I have to say, Obama is the worst candidate of the three.

There is this myth, and i use the word myth, that Barack Obama is somehow this uniter and great compromiser. In what way is this, or has ever been, true. i realize he says we need to come together and solve problems. I realize he is the greatest an most inspiring speaker of all time. But what in the world is making people believe that he is a uniter? What has he EVER done to suggest such? Watch..."I am all powerful" Damn, still not true. He is more liberal than Hillary (if you don't believe me see his moveon.org endorsement) despite the fact that independents vote for him. If 'bring the country together' means 'push through my agenda with a Democratic Congress' than yes, he is a uniter.

Second, the myth, again myth, that Obama is a leader. Has Barack Obama EVER lead ANYTHING? He was editor for the Harvard Law Review... Other than that he hasn't lead so much as a boyscout troop. Not saying senators haven't made good presidents, but Barack has ZERO, I mean ZERO, experience.

Even as a republican, Hillary has impressed me with her wide-ranging and in-depth knowledge of every obscure political topic. Misguided as she may be. Barack doesn't share this characteristic. When asked specific and direct questions off of the script he gives answers like 'to a fair level' or 'do what seems reasonable'. He simply hasn't had the time to familiarize himself with the range of topics a president would face. He has done great for being so young, but should have waited like Hillary did in 04.

I'll save both of our time arguing policy procedures, because each of those could go for miles.

I realize why so many people support Barack. He is the kind of guy you want to root for. He speaks well, he is funny and I would not be suprised AT ALL if he is the next president. But, his policy is more liberal than Hillary and he is unexperienced. The American public has become so easily influenced that the Presidential election is becoming American Idol: Politics Edition. Simple slogans and unsubstatiated claims, along with pretty speakers and marketable candidates are all that is left. We shouldn't be suprised that our current President pulled a 180 once he got in office, both times.
Ahking

Pro

Ahking forfeited this round.
zander

Con

zander forfeited this round.
Ahking

Pro

My apologies again for missing that last round.

Well, I'm assuming you are McCain supporter, though you haven't made even that clear, or why Obama would not be better than either of the two candidates.

I am familiar with your arguments. Obama may be a great speaker, inspirational and flashy, bold and charismatic - but he has got nothing to back it up with and everyone who supports him is just captivated by his sparkling speeches and deep sexy voice. Those 20 million people who've voted for him so far would surely be ignorant - willing to follow him off of a bridge - if they supported a man who had never led before, had no experience in politics, and was simply a good contestant on "American Idol: Politics Edition".

But how can a man who was elected to the US Senate be said to have never led before? My opponent is implying that the job of a US Senator, to propose and vote on pieces of legislature that affect the entire nation, is not a leadership position. Perhaps my opponent is saying that all US Senators are subject to the whims and desires of their constituents, and thus they are truly followers. In that case, it clear why my opponent doesn't make his support of any candidate clear: he thinks he should be president.

I joke, but really, Barack Obama served six years in the Illinois State Legislature where he voted on over 4000 bills. He's been in the US Senate since 2005, where he's a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, Veterans Affairs Committee, Health Education and Labor & Pensions Committee, and several more. In Senate, he's passed the Obama-Coburn bill which created a database to track all pork spending in Washington. He also passed the Lugar-Obama act which makes securing conventional assault weapons mandatory so they don't get in the hands of terrorists. He's sponsored around 200 bills and voted on many more. He's led, dude, and I believe this answers the question of his experience sufficiently too.

It answers the question of his experience because you will never be able to answer this question: how much experience is enough? One term? Lincoln had only one. 8 years in public office? That's how much Hillary had - Obama has 10. It is not how much you've experience but what you've taken from it. And what Obama has taken from it is that problems don't get solved when the country is divided. It doesn't even take a senator to realize that. Want proof of his unity? Those two bills were sponsored by Obama and a Republican. Want proof he's a uniter? Listen to "A More Perfect Union" on youtube. That speech shows an understanding not only of the history of black struggle in America, but of the white perspective as well. A man who is capable of that kind of understanding has the first thing needed to be a uniter. The second thing needed is the desire to do so, and does Obama have that? Yes he does, or else why is he running for president?
zander

Con

So, since 20 million people have voted for this guy I should just assume that he is an awesome candidate and vote for him? Sound logic. Simply because 20 million people have voted for him does not mean he is a good candidate. In fact, it leads into exactly what I argued earlier; Obama is charismatic and can market well for votes.

So voting is leadership now? 1/3 of a term as a senator is experience? By your reasoning, every single legislator would be a perfectly formidable candidate for president. Just about EVERY legislator in Congress has more experience than Obama. Even you examples, such as Lincoln, had a full term under their belt.

The bills you cite prove my point. How can you claim Obama is a uniter when all he does is sponsor ridiculously obvious and uncontreversial bills? Stopping terrorists from getting guns? Why not just create the 'happiness for America' Act or a bill to spread love to children? Is this really taking contreversial and difficult positions?

The fact that your only evidence for Obama's emmaculate qualities is a speech he gave also proves my point. He can talk all he wants, but where is the action? When has he ever taken steps to overcome racial struggles? It seems that he and Clinton are dividing the country by race (look at the polls).

Beyond the fact that he is a socialist, he has absolutely NO reason, whatsoever, to be president. Even if I was a Democrat, I would never vote for Barack Obama. You can not give me one substantial defining characteristic that sets him apart from ANY OTHER first-term legislator other than 'he gives bitchin' speeches'.

He can tell me he is a uniter and he can claim to be the great leader of our time, but what in his life would ever lead me to think that, without him having to tell me? His involvement in Congress is run-of-the-mill, other than the fact that Democratic leadership sticks him on a boatload of committees because he has reached rockstar status.

John McCain is not my ideal candidate and I don't have time or space to argue the partisan issues like taxes and the war. So, I'll assume I'm a dem and that we agree on most basic issues. What makes you vote for Obama over Hillary? In all of the debates, she demonstrates a much deeper knowledge of every issue and is much more versed in political goings-on. While Obama gives answers like 'The opposite of Bush' and 'I want to help the poor and take down greedy corporations'. Take Barack off of the teleprompter and lets see what this awe-insipiring quality is.
Posted by deidra_lover14 8 years ago
deidra_lover14
this is good so far so please add me people
Posted by Ahking 8 years ago
Ahking
sorry I missed the next round, wait until round three and I'll respond.
Posted by LR4N6FTW4EVA 8 years ago
LR4N6FTW4EVA
ahking, challenge me to this debate.
Vote Placed by Rboy159 8 years ago
Rboy159
AhkingzanderTied
Vote Placed by Arnaud 8 years ago
Arnaud
AhkingzanderTied
Vote Placed by BeatTheDevil89 8 years ago
BeatTheDevil89
AhkingzanderTied
Vote Placed by shdwfx 8 years ago
shdwfx
AhkingzanderTied
Vote Placed by MatterOfFact 8 years ago
MatterOfFact
AhkingzanderTied
Vote Placed by bipasha 8 years ago
bipasha
AhkingzanderTied
Vote Placed by freedom9 8 years ago
freedom9
AhkingzanderTied
Vote Placed by flatwhite 8 years ago
flatwhite
AhkingzanderTied
Vote Placed by augista1457 8 years ago
augista1457
AhkingzanderTied
Vote Placed by stuntmancoble 8 years ago
stuntmancoble
AhkingzanderTied