emospongebob527
Dovahkinn117

Barack Obama is an Idiot.

emospongebob527

emospongebob527

Con

Today's debate is about whether or not Barack Hussein Obama is an idiot.

1. Acceptance
2. Main Definitions/Presentation of Main Argument
3 & 4. Rebuttals
5. Resolution/Closing Argument

Hint: Definitions can be used in other rounds besides R1

Rules-
No semantics
No trolling
No profanity
No vulgarity

Violating any of the rules results in immediate termination of the debate.
Dovahkinn117

Pro

I accept this challenge. Good luck and have fun.
emospongebob527

Con

According to the Merriam Webster Online Dictionary an idiot is a person affected with extreme mental retardation.

Mental retardation (MR) is a generalized disorder appearing before adulthood, characterized by significantly impaired cognitive functioning and deficits in two or more adaptive behaviors.

Sign and Symptoms
Delays in oral language development
Deficits in memory skills
Difficulty learning social rules
Difficulty with problem solving skills
Delays in the development of adaptive behaviors such as self-help or self-care skills
Lack of social inhibitors

IQ Levels
Class IQ
Profound mental retardation Below 20
Severe mental retardation 20 to 34
Moderate mental retardation 35 to 49
Mild mental retardation 50 to 69
Borderline intellectual functioning 70 to 84

Obama's IQ-

The average IQ for a college graduate with a bachelor's degree in the U.S. is 115. Barack Obama graduated from Columbia University, so the assumption is he must have had at least an IQ of 115.

Barack Obama graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law School; such academic honors are only awarded to students in the top 10% of their class.
Obama's IQ has been estimated anywhere from 110-165. He is a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, where he served as editor, and later as president of the Harvard Law Review; which is an extremely prestigious position. Obama also taught at the University of Chicago for 12 years, a top-ranked university in the United States. However, these achievement-based estimates fail to account for the possibility that Obama was a beneficiary of affirmative action, which based on collegiate averages would lower his estimated IQ to the 115-120 range.
Obama attended an elite private school in Honolulu as a scholarship student. Since all of the graduates from that school at that time took collegiate aptitude tests and he was not a National Merit Scholar, Semifinalist, or Outstanding Participant, his maximum possible score on the SAT was 1230, which is the 96.9 percentile. That would translate to a maximum possible IQ of 129. It should be noted, however, that one of the requirements for the National Merit Scholarship is taking the Preliminary SAT test. If Obama did not take the PSAT, he could very well have scored above 1230 on the SAT without being a National Merit Scholar.

As observable Obama's IQ is clearly over the standard for any classification of mental retardation IQ.
Dovahkinn117

Pro

Debate
Origin of Idiot. "Middle English, from Anglo-French ydiote, from Latin idiota ignorant person, from Greek idiōtēs one in a private station, layman, ignorant person, from idios one's own, private; akin to Latin suus one's own " more at suicide
First Known Use: 14th century" Websters dictionary
The definition I was going to use is a foolish person, from the same dictionary as yours.

Obama has made some very foolish mistakes in his presidency. A few of which are, the economic stimulus, the healthcare reform, and the changing of welfare. He tried to make this country into a socialistic country. Socialism may sound good on paper, but doesn't work with people. Too many will try to sit on their backs and do nothing, which will cause the society to collapse. I am only debating his foolishness in running the country.
emospongebob527

Con

"Obama has made some very foolish mistakes in his presidency. A few of which are, the economic stimulus, the healthcare reform, and the changing of welfare. He tried to make this country into a socialistic country. Socialism may sound good on paper, but doesn't work with people. Too many will try to sit on their backs and do nothing, which will cause the society to collapse. I am only debating his foolishness in running the country."

My opponent concedes no evidence that proves Obama is mentally retarted...........

An idiot is.............................. A PERSON AFFECTED WITH EXTREME MENTAL RETARDATION........

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Dovahkinn117

Pro

I would like to state that I denied his definition for idiot in my argument and used my own definition for the word and stated my argument's usage for the word.

He did not state that I had to use his definition for this argument.
emospongebob527

Con

I have already stated my arguments, and gaves sources. You did not, therefore my definitions are more reliable.
Dovahkinn117

Pro

Dovahkinn117 forfeited this round.
Dovahkinn117

Pro

Dovahkinn117 forfeited this round.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
Con blatantly set up this debate, as he did every other debate, on a semantical basis and had the gonads to put a "no semantics" rule in there. An idiot obviously is not someone with extreme mental retardation (see Roy's post for accurate definition w/ source) and to force the pro to defend a statement like that IS semantics. Thus, con automatically loses for violating his own rules.
Posted by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
I did not break rule 1, I stated my definition first and gave sources unlike Con.
Posted by callmesuperboo 4 years ago
callmesuperboo
Pro breaks rule #1, but can argue his point well nonetheless.
Posted by Dovahkinn117 4 years ago
Dovahkinn117
This will be fun.
Posted by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
Thank you philochristos :)
Posted by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
You have to give the challenger credit for his willingness to defend such a bold claim.
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
When the instigator does not define a word, the meaning is the dictionary definition that best fits the context. The dictionary http://dictionary.reference.com... gives:

id"i"ot [id-ee-uht] noun
1. Informal . an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2. Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

Definition 2 has no chance of being proved, so Definition 1 must be what is implied. The Instigator is Con, so the person accepting the debate must prove that President Obama is "utterly foolish or senseless." The President arguably has unwise policies, but they nowhere near "utterly foolish or senseless," so I think the challenger has an impossible burden.
Posted by TheAntidoter 4 years ago
TheAntidoter
I would debate this, but I do not know If I am on the level to do it.
Posted by callmesuperboo 4 years ago
callmesuperboo
That's a really vague statement. President Obama is probably an "idiot" when it comes to Italian movies of the 1970's. A better thing to argue is whether or not he's a Socialist, or whether or not he's been an effective President.
Posted by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
Or you can be an idiot in some aspect of life but a genius in some other aspect of life. For example, some people are idiots when it comes to dealing with members of the opposite sex, but geniuses when it comes to math and science.
Vote Placed by lannan13 4 years ago
lannan13
emospongebob527Dovahkinn117Tied