righty10294
KingYosef

Barack Obama is too inexperienced to be president

righty10294

Pro

Hello potential debaters,

I believe that Barack Obama is too inexperienced to be president. Here are my reasons:

1) He has only been a senator for just under 3 YEARS. That isn't enough time to become qualified. His fellow senators running have had a minimum of 6 years in office. The candidate that was in office for 6 years was John Edwards, who didn't run for relection since he was running for vice president. Also, Hilary has been in office for 7 years and most of the others , 11+ years.

2) He isn't proven to be a true leader. The last 8 presidents were either Governors or vice presidents. Also, 1 of the last 12 presidents were either a Vice President or governor. There is one exception, Dwight Eisenhower, who was a general. This is making him historically unqualified.

He is using his inexperience to persuade people's minds. The big example is when he says he never supported the Iraq War from the beginning. He wasn't even a senator when congress voted on that. There is no way to prove that that is what he truly believed.
KingYosef

Con

Experience is the most overrated badge a presidential contender can carry.

Experience in what?
Political corruption?
Back stabbing?
deception?

granted many presidents have made good use of their political experience while in office. Especially the likes of Richard Nixon, who beautifully used his political knowledge in the watergate scandal. Or Maybe Jimmy Carter, All his political experience could not keep America from appearing weak and flustered during the hostage crisis in Iran. Experience is not a just tool in measuring how successful a president might be.

To quote you "He is using his inexperience to persuade people's minds"

First off, how is that a by product of his inexperience, an ability to persuade? The United States biggest problem is a problem of ideological divide based on the biases of the baby bomber generation. and for that generation, A democrat has always been essentially a flower child (even if it has been hidden, ex. hilary clinton) or a vietnam war vet. and these party ideologies have been dividing this country further and further through their "experience".
Now we will turn back to the inexperienced Barack Obama, and his "persuasion".
Yes he is exploiting persuasion. he is persuading people to stop be ignorant to the truths about us as country. Iraq is Iraq, what does it matter if you supported it or you didn't, it matters to people with these bedrocked beliefs. but either way, on 2008 when whoever enters office, Iraq and the troops don't care whether you were for it or not, they want to know what do we do NOW. Barack Obama is a voice of reason regardless of if he is experienced or not. he is not overtly religious. Though some people hold a presidents religion dear in this country, lets not forget that religious rule is the down fall of the Middle East, and George Bush (an experienced president as you would say) has informally invited us to join the demise that we witness in the fertile crescent.

Your defenses for "experience" are moot and shallow at best, I will leave you a post I wrote in defense for Barack Obama, that points to the single attribute he has that no other presidential candidate can claim:

"it is important to note Barack's Obama single attribute that differentiates him from all the other plausible candidates in a truly important way. He is not a child of the 60s. Every other candidate is using ideology from two separate and divided groups, The vietnam vets, and the "hippies". the basis of their beliefs is the bedrock of their presidential campaign, and those same beliefs have been dividing the country for the past 40 years. Barack Obama may be young and inexperienced, but the flaws of those truths is cancelled out by the flaws produced by the other candidates experience. Our generation will pay for the faults of our parents generation, it is time that we have a president that will not represent the vet or the flower child, but represent reason. It is time that this country realizes that the true problem lays within ourselves and our global credibility is due to the way we compose ourselves and not due to jealous or idealistic views of other nations. It is time for a change of life experience in the oval office that better shows the makeup of the U.S. today, and that is Barack Obama's greatest asset to this country, an asset that no other presidential hopeful can claim."

I invite you to insight other reasons as to why Barack Obama is not the best choice for president, but do consider the other candidates, and understand that experience is not an issue in the election.
righty10294

Pro

Hello Kingyosef:

Let me say 1 thing before I make my argument, your argument sounded more like a sales pitch for Obama rather than a debate for his experience (note paragraph 7 the most. It starts with "it is important to note").

When I posted this debate, I thought that who ever challenged me would know what the "too inexperienced" ment. I think you are just trying to be wise and you know what I'm talking about.

I still stand by my argument made that says he is using his inexperience to persuade people's mind. When the War in Iraq started on MArch 20, 2003 he WASN"T EVEN A SENATOR YET! So, when he says he never supported the War from the beginning, how do we really know that's what he truly believes. Until I see some true facts that he never supported the war, I stand by this argument.

"Experience is not a just tool in measuring how successful a president might be."- King

That statement is totally false. Experience is a tool to become a successful president, but it is not the only tool used. When you are working on something, there is more than one tool in the tool box, there isn't just one tool. When voting time come near (even with the primaries) you will see other candidates question the others experience. Even though I'm a Republican, I know that Hilary is going to question Obama's in experience.

"experience is not an issue in the election"- KIng

Experience is an issue in this election, last election, next election, etc. Experience is one thing that can never change, and will all ways be an issue. It is a topic that will be here, is here, and was here.

I love when I "define" experience, you just call it moot and shallow. Do you have any argument other than it's moot and shallow? Where are your facts to back it up?

Merry Christmas!!!!
KingYosef

Con

Firstly merry christmas, and your rebutle was well thought out and i appreciate your critiscms.

secondly, i would like to clarify my undersanding of the topic "Barack Obama is too inexperienced to be president". (please feel free to correct my misinterpitations, if any, for the thrid round): you are the pro for this topic, you must defend why his inexperience affects his legitamcy (which you have done). I disagree with this statement and must prove why his inexperience in politics don't matter. in relation to your comment of " your argument sounded more like a sales pitch for Obama rather than a debate for his experience" obviously I am a supporter for Barack Obama, there is no denying that he has spent the least amount of time in public office in relation to the other canidates. I therfore must explain his other assets that other canidates lack that cancel out the negativitie of his public record. I understand that I went on a tangent away from experience, but i will make a case for his experience.

Part 1 Barack Family History : Barack Obama was born in 1961 to a kenyan father and an american mother. his parents divorced when he was two years old, and his mother married a foriegn student from indonesia. When Obama was six, his family moved to Jakarta Indonesia.

Part 2 The Current State of the Word: Todays world is dominated by iggnorance, be it racial, cultural, idealogical or religious. Most americans, as hard as they try cannot SEE outside of this country. This creates for a world in which the actions of the U.S. government often baffle and anger other cultures (ex. France, Britian, the middle east etc.). In a time of globalization, it is important to be open minded.

Part 3 Personal Insight: I am half Syrian, and have been there 8 times, spending over a year of my life over in the middle east. I have been to Iraq. I Also have family in Spain and have been there twice. I have been to countless other countries as well. why am i mentioning this? I know why other countries don't like us, but this debate isn't about that.

Part 4 Studies: The two most succesful foreign advisors to presidents in recent years were culturally experienced. currently in the wake of globalization, Businesses and companies are hiring foriegn born CEO's to better tap into international needs (succesfully, the amount of forgien born ceo's in the fortune five hundred have increased dramatically). (i will get the exact name and numbers for the next round if you so desire).

How does this all tie in to the topic?

Barack Obama's Childhood exposed him to bigotry as well as cultural diversity. He was born in a melting pot, moved to southeast asia, then to mainland USA. Growing up and experiencing these as an american, you develop a world view in which you understand instictivilly other people. The World is entering a new era. an era in which current U.S. politcal poccesses are not effective. The same practices that made the U.S. the savior of the 20th century, are now viewed as imperialistic. yes, i understand that the political experience is an important factor, and though i may have seemed arogant before, it will continue to be. but right now, with the emergence of China and other countries, and the U.S. very slowly beginning to receed from untouchable power to force in global politics. It is urgent that we get someone in office that will gain back the respect people around the world, We created our worst enemy entirely through our political actions, it is not as absurd as it may sound, but the U.S. brought 9/11 upon themselves. We need someone in office as soon as possible who can heal the wounds we have created. John Edwards and John McCain show flashes of ability in dealing with this subject, Yet no one can claim the experience of growing up in another country and dealing with bigotry admirably, or having the knowledge of cultural tendencies that Barack does. Neither can they claim the acute cultural openmindedness that is breed when raised in such an environment. It may very well be true that he would be mediocre at best in dealing with national issues, but those issues are far on the back burner in relation to ensuring the longevity of the U.S. as a safe and succesul country.

to sum it up...Barack Obama has the experience and understanding to deal with globalization and cultural diversity.

I understand that i am not the best at getting to my point, so i will look forward to your rebutle. I would also like to say that this website is great, for when i usually debate someone it is one sided, but here I get called out, which is a refreshing change. also please forgive me for not spell checking, its late and im tired.
righty10294

Pro

Kingyosef:

This has been the best debate I had, and I appreciate your participation.

First you say that he has spent the least amount of time in public office. That is the only way you can gain more experience. This can only help me, but your points are good about foreign relations. But when you bring 9/11 into this, it is totally wrong. If we were to be attacked again with a new president by lets say by Russia (i think they are strong and they're helping Iran), there are only 2 candidates that Putin would be afraid of, McCain and Guliani. Barack has too good relationships with other countries, so I can see him being afraid to bomb it for the sake of civilians.

Second, your argument was just about his experience with foreign countries. Sure that would be good, but if the wars are finished, and he is in office, foreign relations won't matter as much. How to lead our country will matter. Also, he has lived in other countries, but if he hasn't lived in another country, what makes him more experienced about it than the other candidates. With your way of "foreign experience", John McCain fought in Vietnam, so is he experienced about Vietnam?

The average age of presidents when they take office is 55 years and 1 month. Barack will be 47 when ingnogoration takes place. The last president to take office that young, had an affair with an intern and caused a attack on our country., but that's a whole nother debate.

This may be off topic a bit, but you say that John Edwards has ability to deal with stuff like 9/11, please explain.

King, this has been a fun debate, please say if you would like to continue it.

I'm sorry, but it still sounds like a sale pitch, do you work for his campaign, just wondering?
KingYosef

Con

Barack Obama: 8 years Illinois Senator, 2 years U.S. Senate.

Hillary Clinton: 6 years U.S. Senator.

John Edwards: 6 years U.S. Senator.

Barack Obama has spent 4 more years in public office than his Democratic nomination competitors.

QOUTES ON EXPERIENCE

"Some legislators who worked with Obama in the Illinois Senate say he proved he can overcome gaps in experience with his ability to quickly grasp complicated issues." – USA Today

"Sen. Obama was someone who I thought — and I was right — could tackle extremely complex things like ethics reform, the death penalty or racial profiling by law enforcement." – Rep. Sen. Kirk Dillard 1993-Present

"Obama's tenure as a constitutional lawyer, he says, "prepares him to learn the intricacies and nuances of what the federal government is all about." – State Sen. Donne Trotter

Firstly, Vladimir Putin will be out of office in May 2008. Secondly, A war with Russia? There is nothing more hypothetical than that, and the chances of that of happening are slim to none. what do you base your "fear" factor on in regards to McCain and Rudy? Just because McCain is a war vetran and Guliani is obsessed with a "never back down mentality" doesn't mean they are something to be feared.

You claim: "Barack has too good relationships with other countries, so I can see him being afraid to bomb it for the sake of civilians."

Where has he forged relationships with other countries? Barack Obama has a strong understanding of human nature, Which allows him to examine situations and PREVENT tension from escalating into something worse. And in case a War is inevitable, don't mistake his compassion for weakness, He has said time and time again that he will not be bullied and will do what he believes must be done in order to achieve the desired result.

If the wars are finished and he is in office? I highly doubt that in that even in the next 10 years the threats to America from terrorism and the discord in the middleast will be any where near gone. He has the ability to maintian stability on the homefront while solving the mess on the global front.

"Also, he has lived in other countries, but if he hasn't lived in another country, what makes him more experienced about it than the other candidates."

It isn't about understanding people in other countries, it is about understanding people other than Americans. It is about knowing that the American way doesn't always apply outside America, and knowing that global politics is business and protecting your best interests is most important.

John McCain was fighting the Vietnamise, He went into Vietnam, fought for his country, without integrating himself into the Vietnamise lifestlye. I say what I said anout McCain and Edwards in that they have proven that they have devloped the insight to see America as a group of people instead of a product. A product in which they need to win the support of to acheive their goals. from that insight they have divulged further and learned to see people as people, not people as polotics, a skill that can help in forgien relations. I say Barack is better at them in this because McCain and Edwards learned it, Barack grew up with it.

In response to your sales pitch statement, I am here to prove that political experience should only be a small portion of the criteria that voters look at when choosing a canidate. It is by no means all that matters, if it were, the likes of Abraham Lincoln would never have been voted into office.

Thank You for the debate.
Posted by righty10294 9 years ago
righty10294
rwebberc- When you ask about McCain, he served in the military, served in the Senate for 20+ years. Oh ya, was a POW for 5.5 years.
Posted by rwebberc 9 years ago
rwebberc
"2) He isn't proven to be a true leader. The last 8 presidents were either Governors or vice presidents. Also, 1 of the last 12 presidents were either a Vice President or governor. There is one exception, Dwight Eisenhower, who was a general. This is making him historically unqualified."

This is an interesting argument since I noticed you support Senator McCain for president...
Posted by stumartin 9 years ago
stumartin
I would love to believe that Obama has it all to win. I just don't see him getting to the finish line, which is why I support the more experienced Democrats.
Posted by mjvoss 9 years ago
mjvoss
I'm sorry, but a first term junior senator doesn't cut it, no matter how awesome you think his "character" to be.
Posted by alycarter01 9 years ago
alycarter01
but who is the least corrupt and who can actually change the government to what the american people want? you truly do not know if barack obama or anyone else is prepared to enter the office; no one is experienced enough to be president until they become president.
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 9 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
righty10294KingYosefTied
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
righty10294KingYosefTied
Vote Placed by lhs0921 9 years ago
lhs0921
righty10294KingYosefTied
Vote Placed by texasrulz10 9 years ago
texasrulz10
righty10294KingYosefTied
Vote Placed by BB1 9 years ago
BB1
righty10294KingYosefTied
Vote Placed by Bigmomma1 9 years ago
Bigmomma1
righty10294KingYosefTied
Vote Placed by kenito001 9 years ago
kenito001
righty10294KingYosefTied
Vote Placed by dfhdavid 9 years ago
dfhdavid
righty10294KingYosefTied
Vote Placed by ImAPanicBomb447 9 years ago
ImAPanicBomb447
righty10294KingYosefTied
Vote Placed by KSN 9 years ago
KSN
righty10294KingYosefTied