TRUEandHONESTuser
Cato

Barack Obama is/was a bad president.

Cato

TRUEandHONESTuser

Con

Do I believe Barack Obama is by any means a good president? No. However, I do not believe, like many Americans, that he is a bad president. Does anyone agree or disagree with me?
Cato

Pro

As there are no visible parameters to this debate, and as there are many ways by which to judge Obama and his administration, I will begin by offering some framework to the ensuing discussion. I will argue that Obama is a "bad" president because his actions have had, on balance, more negative than positive impacts on the strength, security, and prosperity of America from our perspective and at this point in time. I will further explain why I have chosen this standard, then I will lay out my analysis of his actions as I am able.

In general, it is always hard to judge a presidency if only because of the immense scope of a president's actions. It is not immediately clear where many of the policies Obama has pursued will ultimately lead, nor can we as the public be fully aware of the information available to the president as he decided to pursue them. In light of the complexity of our world, and of the difficulty of analyzing situations for which in many cases we are outside spectators, I have chosen to apply the standard that a president is judged as "bad" if the consequences of his actions are such that the negative outcomes outweigh the positive from our perspective and at this point in time.

Three characteristics that taken together are a good representation of the condition of America are strength, security, and prosperity. Strength I define as our position within the world. It includes our military might but also our continued positive relations with allies and the restriction of foes. Security has to do with protection of America within its borders. Examples of this would include our justice system but also the maintenance of our basic rights as enumerated at the founding of the nation. Prosperity I define as the well-being of the American people materially as well as the freedom to choose within the confines of the law how to achieve that well-being.

I contend that, on balance, from our perspective and at this time, Obama has pursued policies which have left us weaker, less secure, and less prosperous. The diminished condition of America on balance makes him a bad president.
TRUEandHONESTuser

Con

TRUEandHONESTuser forfeited this round.
Cato

Pro

Framework and argument sustained.
TRUEandHONESTuser

Con

TRUEandHONESTuser forfeited this round.
Cato

Pro

Sustained.
Posted by provideoman123 2 years ago
provideoman123
Mr. Pro

I do believe that you are true and honest as you say you are. You have never been exposed lying so I believe you are correct. I hope you can attract a boyfriend free girl with your honesty. I heard that is what they are looking for in a man, unlike most other jerks.

Happy recycling,
Mr. Snyder
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
TRUEandHONESTuserCatoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture