travis18352
WilliamsP

Barack Obamas presidency

WilliamsP

travis18352

Con

i am taking the stance that obama was a bad president.
round 1-acceptance
round 2-main arguments
round 3 and 4-rebuttal
round 5-further rebuttal and closing arguments
WilliamsP

Pro

I accept your challenge, my friend. I look forward to this debate.

Please note that I cannot be online regularly. I will not be able of immediately responding to your arguments.
travis18352

Con

When Barack Obama was running for president he said that adding 4 trillion dollars of debt in 8 years was unamerican and unpatriotic. So five years into the Obama presidency and he has added 7 trillion dollars of debt. Obama was against the patriot act saying it harms our civil liberties and in 2011 he extends it and the NSA now stores all of our phone calls, emails, texts, etc... which is just another flip flop on Obamas part. The fast and furious program was a major failure. giving guns to the Mexican drug cartels led to the killing of Brian Terry a US border patrol agent. The major failure known as the cash for clunkers program was designed promote environmentally friendly vehicles and fuel efficient cars. All it really did was destroy classic cars and release even more carbon emissions. The real reason he did it was to give people a reason to buy the new cars from the auto companies he bailed out. A big failure of the Obama administration was his big green energy loans. He loaned billions of dollars to green energy companies that just went bankrupt. 535 million dollars to Solyndra and they went bankrupt. You can read about the green energy companies he loaned money to on this link. All the companies on this list are bankrupt or on their way out. http://blog.heritage.org...
What about the Stimulus? He promised it would keep the unemployment below 8 percent but it didnt get under 8 percent until September of 2013 and reports are out there now that the numbers were faked for political purposes. Not only did it take till September of 2013 to get the unemployment below 8 percent but the stimulus was supposed to get the unemployment below 6 percent in 2012. Didn't come close to meeting expectations. He promised that the stimulus would immediately impact. saying that it will immediately create jobs because there are shovel ready jobs across the country. He later had to admit in 2011 that those jobs were not as shovel ready as he thought. He said that the stimulus would life 2 million people out of poverty but instead it resulted in 6.3 million falling into poverty as of February 2012. As i stated before obama gave 35 billion dollars to green energy companies to create jobs most of those companies are now bankrupt. It may not be 2015 yet but he promised that the stimulus would bring 1 million electric cars to the road by 2015 and the chevy volt is selling way below expectations.
http://www.usnews.com...

Obamacare i believe is a disaster. the website took a long time to get up and running and today it still isnt fully up and running. according to theblaze.com
http://www.theblaze.com...
the website cost more than 1 billion dollars. how does a website that costs 1 billion dollars to build not be able to handle more that 50,000 people at a time? The obamacare law itself is a bad idea. Obamacare forces you to buy health insurance and if you dont you pay a fine. Why should i have to pay a fine because i dont want health insurance. my parents compared plans on healthcare.gov and the cheapest obamacare compliant plan they got cost 300 dollars more a month. How is that affordable? I believe that if we allow the free market to control healthcare the competition will naturaly drive down costs allowing people to buy a plan that fits your needs at a cheaper price. Instead Obamacare forces you to have to have a plan that covers maternity care. Why should a man have to pay for maternity coverage or an 80 year old man or an 80 year old woman? If i wanted that covered i would choose a plan that has that coverage.
The IRS scandal is another reason why obamas presidency is a failure. Why did former IRS head Douglas Shulman visit the white house 118 times in 2 years. There is no other reason that i can see other than working on a plan to target tea party groups. The Benghazi scandal is another flop by the obama administration. All he had to do was say it was a terrorist attack and actually investigate it but instead he went to vegas for a fundraiser the next day. He said many times before the attack that al qaeda is on the run but actually its been growing since 911 and killing osama bin laden really didnt have a huge impact on al qaeda. The obama admin said said that osama bin laden is dead and general motors is alive and then a few days or weeks later al qaeda attacks the benghazi consulate. Susan Rice went on the sunday talk shows and said that it was a spontaneous demonstration because of an internet video. hillary clinton said it was because of an internet video that they had nothing to do with. Just the tone she said it in shows its a lie. It was a well coordinated attack that killed 4 americans including our ambassador. Hillary clinton told patricia smith that she would find out exactly what happened the moments before her son died and she still has no answers. but the democrats and obama pass benghazi, IRS, NSA, as fake scandals.
I await your response
WilliamsP

Pro

When Barack Obama ran for office in 2008, the economy was failing due to the failed policies of George W. Bush and the Congress. Fortunately, Barack Obama won the election. Thanks to him, the GDP growth rate grew to 4.1% from -5.4%. The DOW grew to 16,459 from 4,949. Unemployment fell. Barack Obama's plans for the future are magnificent, but the Republicans in the Congress refused to adopt his agenda.
I say this not as a Democrat, but I say this as an American: I am appalled by the conduct of the Republicans. They have bullied the President, lied about the President and insulted the President, but Obama maintained his dignity. If the Congress could have done its job and worked alongside our President, the economy would be in a better condition. Barack Obama, without the cooperation of the Congress, has still done very much for our economy, including cutting taxes for small businesses.
Ask yourself, where would we be if John McCain won in 2008? Republicans are conservative. They don't reform. They don't change policy. Our economy would be at its worst if either McCain or Romney were in the White House.
I understand the President may have been untruthful at times, most notably Benghazi. But I assure you, Obama's top priority is the betterment of the American society and the progress of the American culture. That is what Barack Obama stands for. That is what he wants. That is what he is fighting for every single day. You cannot deny his passion and his determination. You cannot deny the good Barack Obama has done. Of course, I see the flaws. I recognize the errors in his policies. But if the Congress and the President can work together, we shall prosper.
travis18352

Con

first off the dow grew to 16,459 because the fed is propping up the stock market. the unemployment was almost always low under the bush administration up until the great recession when it shot way up. it hit a peak of 10 percent in the obama admin. obama promised the unemployment rate would be below 8 percent with the stimulus and it didnt get under 8 percent until september 2012. recently the unemployment rate has been falling im not denying that. barack obamas plans are not magnificent. his big plans are raising the minimum wage, raising taxes on the rich, and passing more environmental regulations. the person who should have won the 2008 election was Ron Paul. he was the one who would have gotten us out of iraq and afghanistan by now. i am not arguing for john mccain or mitt romney. obama could have gotten stuff done when the democrats had control of congress but instead all he did was pass obama care which is a failure. obamas top priority is not the betterment for american society. all he wants is to transform america into a socialist society. look at all the government regulations passed under the obama admin that hurt small business. http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
heres the truth on your small business tax cut claim. obama isnt fighting for anything other than bigger government. remember obamas you didnt build that quote? he tries to make it look like without big government people cant start their own business. many senators have said that obama never meets with congress and he never approaches congress on anything. obama never even tried to get anything done when he had democrat control in congress. the only way america will prosper again in the future is under a president like ron paul or rand paul
WilliamsP

Pro

First of all, I will point out that even the notion of Rand Paul or Ron Paul as President is absolutely outrageous. Rand Paul is too radical and Ron Paul is too moderate. The image of one of them in the Oval Office is very disturbing.

Barack Obama is not fighting for large government. Allow me to list a fraction of the things he has done:

President Obama ended the Iraq War and the soldiers are now pulling out of Afghanistan. Obama saved the Auto Industry, liberated Libya, cut taxes for millions of Americans, passed Wall Street Reform, created multiple tax cuts for small businesses, eliminated unfair credit card fees, cut spending by a little over $1 trillion, protected reproductive rights, passed the funding of stem cell research, doubled the fuel efficiency standards, increased renewable energy production by a considerable amount, appointed the first Latina Supreme Court Justice, invested in science and research, ended "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", extended unemployment benefits, protected equal pay for women, lowered seniors' drug costs, guaranteed coverage for contraception, protected medicare and social security, and so much more.

And when you post a link to a newspaper argument, it may not help you. Newspapers are more truthful than television news - Fox News especially - but newspapers aren't always true. There may be a few minor inaccuracies in the arguments I have presented, but you cannot deny the fact that Barack Obama is a great president. Con, please remember where we were. Remember where we came from. And look at where we are now. We have accomplished marvelous things due to Democratic - and a few Republican - Presidents. Woodrow Wilson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S Truman, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Bill Clinton, and finally, Barack Obama.
I will not deny the failures of the Obama administration. I acknowledge the "lies" of Barack Obama, regarding Benghazi, Obamacare, etc. But I hope you recognize the fact that Barack Obama is fighting for you and your country right now. He is probably sitting by the Resolute Desk right now, fighting for the United States. Republicans have insulted, bullied, and lied about the President. But Barack Obama persevered. He prevailed. Still, there is plenty of work to still be done. That is why he was re-elected. The fight isn't over yet. The quest isn't complete yet. The mission isn't aborted. With his focus on the future and the betterment of the American republic, Barack Obama's presidency should be viewed as a success instead of a failure.
travis18352

Con

ron paul and rand paul are supporting the radical idea of getting government out of peoples lives and allowing people to live freely. ron paul is the only person who ive seen run for president that actually supports liberty. hes the guy who should have won in 2008 because he would have put us on a much stronger recovery than obama has. obamas recovery is pretty weak.
i aint gonna deny obama suceeded in liberating libya. obama did not cut spending by over 1 TRILLION dollars. where did you get that number from. we cut 80 million dollars and the democrats freak out. alot of what you say is big government. big government telling auto makers that their cars have to meet a certain level of fuel efficiency. why not free up the market and allow competition to drive up fuel efficiency instead of having government regulate their way to fuel efficiency. obama invested in science and look at how that turned out. remember solyndra and the rest of the companies i wrote in my first argument. obama did not protect equal pay for women. and if he wants to protect equal pay for women why not start in the whitehouse. in obamas whitehouse women make 18 percent less than men.
http://www.breitbart.com...
woodrow wilson was one of our worst presidents. kennedy was great ill agree with you there but johnson was not very great. we had a strong economy under clinton but he was a horrible person in the whitehouse. and barack obama like i said is not a very great president. the only thing he should be remembered for is being the first black president. and obama is probably sitting on the couch wishing it was summer so he could go golfing and then he probably just said "lets go golfing in california." barack obama is a weak leader. and if barack obama is fighting for me and my country then he sure as hell aint doing a very good job. i want a leader who fights for liberty, not authority.
http://www.theblaze.com...
and the obama administration is instituting more big government.
how has obama perservered and prevailed?
the fact is is that the only thing obama is fighting for is authority.
WilliamsP

Pro

If you disagree with the President, you should still work with him. Congress lacks the capacity do its constitutional duties. I have made valid points, yet you refuse to recognize the economic success of the Obama administration. I never claimed nor will I ever claim that the administration is perfect. However, I have the capacity to acknowledge both the pros ans cons. You only have the capacity to see the cons.

I had to rush this argument. I did not have much time. I will have a more thorough argument in the next round.
travis18352

Con

if you disagree with the president you should work on the stuff you agree on. and fight him on the stuff you disagree on. if everybody worked with the president no matter if they agree or disagree we would have a 1 party system. i dont refuse to recognise the economic success because he has none. i do see the pros of what obama has done. he gave the authority to get osama bin laden. he deserves alot of credit for killing top terrorists with his drone program but i do not agree with droning other countries but i still know he has done a good job with it. i just think he has done a very poor job.
WilliamsP

Pro

In that case, the outcome of the debate is now in the hands of the voters. To the voters, I say this: Please do not vote for a side simply because of your political affiliation. Please recognize all the facts before choosing your side.
Posted by jamccartney 2 years ago
jamccartney
Why is everyone voting for Con?
1. Everything he wrote was lower case. I mean...Really?
2. I refuses to recognize any of the good things Obama has done. Why do people do that? You can name something good about every politician, even George W. Bush... Heck, even Adolf Hitler was good with the economy. So why do people refuse to say something good about Obama. Is is because he's African American?
3. Pro actually made better arguments. He definitely knows more about politics than Con does.
Posted by Megatron81 3 years ago
Megatron81
I agree with the con because Barack Obama has made things worse than before
Posted by jamccartney 3 years ago
jamccartney
Listen. Zendayalover156, who voted in this debate, has already established in a previous debate that she knows nothing about politics. I will even post a link to that debate: http://www.debate.org...
I am interested in finding out why exactly she voted in this.
Posted by abyteofbrain 3 years ago
abyteofbrain
Oops, I screwed up my vote.
Posted by Topkek 3 years ago
Topkek
One thing to note is that the unemployment rate itself does not tell the whole story. Remember, the unemployment rate does not count discouraged workers. On the other hand, the labour participation rate does, and that rate has been at a historic low ever since Obama came into office, and has been dropping EVEN after we had recovered from the recession:

http://www.marketwatch.com...
Posted by QB 3 years ago
QB
unemployment hasn't fallen under 8% and the economy has almost nothing to do with the government and if anything Obama has been a drag to the economy especially since he was against the keystone pipeline and how he taxes the rich, the people that create jobs.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
travis18352WilliamsPTied
Reasons for voting decision: In my opinion Con wins this debate, because he backs most of his arguements with sources compared to the no sources that Pro uses and at the end it seems that Pro seems to give up in the debate in general.
Vote Placed by jamccartney 3 years ago
jamccartney
travis18352WilliamsPTied
Reasons for voting decision: First of all, Pro made more convincing arguments. Not only did he state the mistakes Obama has made, but he stated the things he did great. Con did not do that, for he ignored the good parts. Con began with grammar and spelling that was correct, but then ceased to capitalize the letters at the beginning of sentences, which was a mistake and just made your arguments seem unintelligent. Unfortunately, Pro did not cite any sources, which caused him to lose the points for that.
Vote Placed by Finalfan 3 years ago
Finalfan
travis18352WilliamsPTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con completely destroyed his argument with this statement: "the only thing he should be remembered for is being the first black president. and obama is probably sitting on the couch wishing it was summer so he could go golfing"- It showed his narrow scope and bias on the subject.
Vote Placed by abyteofbrain 3 years ago
abyteofbrain
travis18352WilliamsPTied
Reasons for voting decision: "saved the Auto industry"? You mean buying BMW? That was interfering with the capitalist elimination of an inferior company, just to waste money we don't have.
Vote Placed by Ameliamk1 3 years ago
Ameliamk1
travis18352WilliamsPTied
Reasons for voting decision: From the first round, this debate is not especially worth reading due to many unsupported claims, especially from Con. However, Con's grammar was atrocious, so I can at least allocate those points. (Capitalization of Obamacare, sentence structure, capitalization of "I", etc.)