Barbie has more positive than negative influences on children

The first round is acceptance only. Any questions can be posted in the comments section.

Barbie is the main protagonist of the Barbie series since her name is "Barbie". I like the series called "Barbie and the nutcracker". It really has an influence on children especially girls because these children have imaginations that can relate to Barbie (they like to crack nuts). Majority, Barbie is a princess from my observation. But she can also imitate the ways of a modern teenage american girl without having the spoiled brat attitude or bitchy sluttish kind of behavior.

Barbie is fiction, but a child (this has to be a girl) can look up to her as a good role model.

I would like to thank my opponent for the debate. I will not respond to anything written in the first round, as I stated that it was to be acceptance only.

1.) Barbie demonstrates loyalty to children, teaching them the benefit of this trait. In all of her movies, Barbie comes through to show that she will stand by her friends above all else. In Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper (2004), when the Barbie (the princess) and her new found friend (the pauper) stand up for each other against those that wish them harm, in order to triumph against adversity in the end.

2.) Barbie demonstrates preserverance. In Barbie: A Fashion Fairy Tale (2010), Barbie continues to work to save her aunt's fashion shop, despite every obstacle that is thrown her way.

3.) Barbie is an example of an independent young woman. In Barbie and the Three Musketeers (2009), Barbie plays the part of one of the three musketeers, showing that women are strong and independent enough to stick up for themselves both intellectually and physically.

4.) Barbie demonstrates courage. In all of her movies, Barbie faces adversity to accomplish what she knows to be right.

5.) Barbie demonstrates kindness to everyone. Even when people are not kind to her, Barbie does not return this with unkindness. She stands up for herself without being mean to others.

All of these traits can help young girls to grow up to be kind, independent, loyal, perseverant young women, who can change the world for the better.

I have nothing against Barbie. I am a straight 16 year old male who would still like to watch Barbie movies if given the chance. lol. But since i've got nothing to do here is my next argument.

-Girls compare themselves to Barbie from a young age, which has a negative effect on the self-esteem of girls in a young age. (Approximately ages 4 to 9) They compare their actual body size to Barbie, seeing that Barbie is tall and skinny compared to them. Barbie affects girls" self-image most at a younger age. This causes them to focus on inadequacies they think they have, rather than on their strengths.

-From as young as age 4 or 5, Barbie teaches girls to strive for the perfect body. However, hers is far from perfect"society only defines it as such. "In fact, if Barbie were a real person, her waist would be 39 percent smaller than an anorexic patient"s, say Dittmar and Halliwell in reference to an earlier study." (I'll provide a source link later) So when children at a young age can't live up to her standards, they make themselves anorexic in attempt to change their bodies. This is affecting their health.

-Barbie also puts forth the idea that white skin, blond hair and blue eyes are the ideal standard of beauty. In our society, young girls and women of different ethnicities often feel they"re being judged according to a standard they can"t live up to. Rather than recognizing all the different types of beauty in the world, Barbie continues the myth that European beauty is the standard.

note: I say again, I have nothing against Barbie. I'm totally okay with her.

1. In response to my opponents first and second arguments that Barbie gives young girls self image problems by giving an impossible standard of beauty and that this causes girls to be anorexic or feel inferior, I would like to point out that this is not exclusive to Barbie. This is a problem in society in general. If you look at any magazine cover you will see photoshopped models and celebrities that give unrealistic standards and ideals of beauty. We have to change society as a whole to solve these issues.
2. Also in response to my opponents first and second arguments, I would like to make the point that if we look to arguments about Barbie's image above arguments about her character then we are telling the world that how a person looks is more important than their actions and character.
3. In response to my opponents third argument I would like to make the point that Barbie actually is not only the stereotypical example of European beauty, their are Barbie dolls from many different ethnicities, including African American, Asian, Indian among many others. I will provide links to examples of these at the bottom of the debate.
4. I would like to extend all of the arguments I made originally as my opponent has refuted none of them.

UndyingHarmony forfeited this round.

As my opponent forfeited the round I extend all of my arguments.

UndyingHarmony forfeited this round.
Posted by Lukas8 2 years ago
Barbie , hasnt got any influence at all. I watched all barbies by chance on the germant super rtl, but I didnt like these thing about it:
-only barbi is special
- stories are based on princes and princesses, what results in aristocracy.
-like in barbie and the popstar, why has the princess to protect all the plants and why not some small citizens
-and much more...
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
I will vote eventually.
Posted by christianhito 2 years ago
Barbie has more influence on children. As far as i am concerned ,barbie has a negative subliminal influence on children.
Vote Placed by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
Vote Placed by emmylou3322 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: The source that Con used ( would not open for me. I have never personally watched many of the Barbie movies, but I agree with Con about how the body proportions of the Barbie dolls result in young girls comparing their own bodies to the dolls. The body type of Barbie dolls set unrealistic expectations that young girls believe they need to meet. A company has now started making a realistic, average sized doll called Lamily. If young girls played with dolls with realistic proportions, instead of Barbie's unrealistic body, it would not result in young girls negatively comparing themselves to an anorexic looking doll.