CorinneSeagriff
Failcake

Barbie influences young girls in a negative way.

Failcake

CorinneSeagriff

Pro

There are a lot of influential young girls in the world. There are people who are more influential than others. Barbie is the "perfect" (in terms of society) woman. She has the large breasts, extremely tiny waist, long legs and blond hair. When I was younger, Barbie was my role model, not just because of her ability to have every job and every talent possible, but also her "perfect" body.

Barbies perfect body, makes young girls think that this is what "real girls" are supposed to look like. Also, the fact that Barbie is white, blonde and blue-eyed can mislead minority girls into thinking that those features are considered to be the most attractive.

As adults we know it is mere impossible to have be the "perfect" image that Barbie portrays. But younger girls look at Barbie, and look up to her, and think that is what girls should look like. This may also cause poor body image and lead to girls going to extremes, like anorexia, and cause health problems.
Failcake

Con

For the purpose of this debate, I would like to define a few key terms. The con team defines "Barbie" to mean the famous toy line produced by Matel. "Influences" is defined as a cognitive factor that tends to have an effect on what you do. "Young girls" is defined to be any girl from age zero to eighteen. And lastly, "negative way" is defined as any way in which the girl is influenced in a way that poorly reflects upon her self body image.

In order for the con team to win this debate, we must prove one of two things. We must either prove that Barbie influences young girls in a positive way, or that Barbie does not have a significant influence on young girls.

I would like to begin with my opponent's arguments. My opponent's contentions can be broken down into three main points:

1) Barbie represents an ideal female, and makes young girls think that's how they are supposed to look.
2) Barbie makes minority girls feel bad as Barbie's stereotypical Caucasian features mislead young girls into thinking that's how they should look.
3) The poor self-image young girls receive from Barbie results in health issues, such as anorexia or other health problems.

My opponent's first argument is invalid for multiple reasons. First of all, Barbie is simply one of many different various toys that children can buy. Parents are in no way forced to buy their children Barbie, and it is the role of the parents to address any self-esteem issues a child may have. Barbie is simply a medium through which a child may play. Second, it is no secret to children that Barbie is fake. My opponent cites herself as an example, claiming that Barbie was a role model. However, we have to look at the bigger picture. Matel is a corporation that thrives on profit. And simply put, what young girl is going to buy a toy that represents an uglier girl? The purpose of toys is to pretend, and that's what Barbie helps do. By my opponent's logic, we shouldn't let young girls pretend to be princesses either, because they'll suffer a serious drop in self-esteem once they realize that they can't be a princess.

The second point my opponent brings up is that Barbie's Caucasian features create distress for young girls of various minorities. However, this is not the case. Many different races of Barbie can be purchased, including but not limited to African-American, Mexican, and Asian. It is obvious that Matel takes this issue very seriously, and has proven so by offering the various multicultural Barbies in existence to young girls everywhere.

Lastly, my opponent argues that Barbie leads to anorexia and other health problems. However, my opponent hasn't proven that this is a significant risk. My opponent has cited zero studies or given anything close to a credible claim that would link Barbie to health issues. Until my opponent can prove a direct link between between Barbie and health issues, this idea must be considered null and void.

At this point, I would like to bring up a few new points to explain why the Pro team is mistaken.

1) Barbie is no different than the action figures young boys buy.

Take a look at G.I. Joe. He's a handsome, absurdly strong, intelligent man that is designed to represent the pinnacle of manliness. But how many cases do we hear about where a young boy gains self-esteem issues from his action figure? I myself am not aware of any, but if my opponent can bring some up, I would be very interested in seeing them. Action figures are the male equivalent of Barbie and represent the ideal man, much like my opponent claims Barbie represents the ideal women. Yet, there is no evidence to suggest that action figures are a poor influence on young boys.

2) Barbie is a cheap way for parents to buy their children toys.

During a quick search on Amazon, I was able to find many different Barbies available for less than ten dollars. In this current economy, many parents are counting pennies. And as expensive electronic toys become more and more popular, Barbie remains to be one of the most popular toys in America. It is one of the few ways left for young girls to get cheap toys. Should we prevent children from poverty-stricken families from getting access to cheap toys just because they're considered pretty?

3) Barbie is an excellent role model for young girls.

While my opponent focuses on the cosmetic aspects of Barbie, she has failed to acknowledge the other parts of Barbie that are promoted. For example, Barbie dolls have a wide range of careers, including but not limited to Computer Engineer Barbie, Veterinarian Barbie, Dentist Barbie, and Chef Barbie. All of these are excellent careers, and these Barbies encourage young girls to succeed. By learning about jobs at a young age, girls will become interested in sciences, academics, and other intellectual areas that will all lead to successful careers later in life.

As we the Con team has shown, Barbie is a positive influence on young girls. The Con team has proven why the Pro's arguments are invalid, and has shown that Barbie is indeed a good influence on the female youth of the world. For all of these reasons, I strongly urge the voters to vote Con for this debate. Thank you.
CorinneSeagriff

Pro

CorinneSeagriff forfeited this round.
Failcake

Con

My opponent has forfeited the round, and as such, has accepted my refutations of all of her points, and has accepted all of my own points. Therefore, she has lost this debate.
CorinneSeagriff

Pro

CorinneSeagriff forfeited this round.
Failcake

Con

Once again, my opponent has forfeited the round.
CorinneSeagriff

Pro

CorinneSeagriff forfeited this round.
Failcake

Con

Failcake forfeited this round.
CorinneSeagriff

Pro

CorinneSeagriff forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by bluesteal27 3 years ago
bluesteal27
CorinneSeagriffFailcakeTied
Reasons for voting decision: