Mockery
KatanaBladeNeko

Barbie is a Feminist Icon

Mockery

Mockery

Pro

I will argue that Barbie is a feminist icon.

I doubt there is a toy that has been more conversational than Barbie. She has gone through many changes but one thing remains; Barbie teaches us little girls that you can be anything.

This is a good thing to teach kids. Barbie hasn't just been a fashion model but she has also been the president, a race car driver, a doctor and more. It's good to teach girls you can be whatever you want, despite your gender.

I look forward to debating this subject.
KatanaBladeNeko

Con

Well, let's be honest, Barbie just doesn't cut it. She just shows that girls should just be cliche girls. Buy this, yap that, all that. She doesn't teach kids that much. Yes, I never grew up with her, but I know enough from the ads that she isn't all that good.
In my opinion, a better feminist icon is P!nk. Yes, I went there. But I mean, really. Do we really need Miley Cyrus and Barbie as feminist icons? Get Chell, Faith, or P!nk as feminist icons!
Mockery

Pro

While I admit P!nk is awesome, Barbie is still a good start in introducing girls to the concept of girl power.

Since you haven't grown up with Barbie or see her evolve, let me break it down for you. Barbie started out as just another pretty face but over the years she has grown to be more. Not only has she inspired fashion but she also continues to break down barriers like race. There are Barbies that are influenced by almost every part of the world.

Not only that but Barbie always remains a nice person. Yes, people complain about her being perfect and while that may be true, Barbie has never been mean, teaching girls that it's sometimes better to be nice to the people who are mean too you.

Barbie teaches kindness towards people and animals as well. And again, she teaches girls they can be anything.

Your turn :)
KatanaBladeNeko

Con

Okay, fair point, ma'am. Jeez, I gotta learn to stop arguing with the internet... But anyways!
Why not Minnie Mouse? Why not.. I don't know, I'm a guy.
Who cares about fashion, I don't know about influencing a large amount of the world, and she doesn't seem that nice.
But hey, 's my opinion.
Mockery

Pro

Yeah but guys understand fashion too.

Fashion is important for two reasons.

1. Can give a person individuality. Not all fashions are exactly the same. They are different and therefore, appeal to different people.

2. Fashion is a form of art. Believe it or not, fashion is often used as a means of expressing an idea or thoughts. Granted, you may not get it but the artist does and so do some other people. Therefore, fashion is important for those who want to create and inspire.

And you ask, why not Minnie Mouse? Well, I do love Minnie Mouse but she hasn't really done much. The thing about Barbie is has been many things, sometimes a fairy and sometimes a race car driver. Minnie has somewhat stayed the same. That isn't a bad thing but she hasn't really grown as a character. Barbie has changed throughout the times.
KatanaBladeNeko

Con

To me, fashion is just whatever I can find in the dryer. At the very best jeans and a hoodie.
And, well, I really came into this argument empty handed. So it's time for plan B. Her flaws.
As I said before, she doesn't have much of a personality. Granted, a lot of toy personalities didn't have much, but they could've tried to give her a tomboyish look and personality, and I wouldn't be trying to argue about her.
And also, let's not forget about her dim-witted, cliche boyfriend. Kevin. I think that's his name.
Mockery

Pro

Now I would agree with you there but recently, Barbie has been given more of a personality. Her YouTube series, Life in the Dreamhouse, has given her the personality as a girl who is kind, polite and loving. She loves her sisters, loves her boyfriend and even loves her enemies.

As for Ken, as long as he loves Barbie, it's all good isn't it?
KatanaBladeNeko

Con

Well, since is the last round. There's no point fighting about it, so I'm just gonna say this.
You win.
Posted by JimmyRusltler 3 years ago
JimmyRusltler
Feel free to challenge me at this debate Mockery :)
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
MockeryKatanaBladeNekoTied
Reasons for voting decision: con took a very winnable debate and put up some of the worst possible counter-arguments you could ever see.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
MockeryKatanaBladeNekoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession by CON. As it is, I would have liked to see evidence of PRO's assertion that "Barbie teaches kindness towards people and animals as well." Short debate.