baseballfan1
thejmanjman

Baseball is America's past time when it comes to sports.

Started: 4/29/2012 Category: Sports

baseballfan1

Pro

SPorts have been the back bone for this great country. When there is war, when there is peace, there is sports. Baseball has been around since the late 1800's and has been the biggest sport played in this country. It is what brings people together and is one of the toughest skilled played game there is. Baseball has some many traditions that comes with the game that is so exciting to watch. Such as the 7th inning stretch, the umpire yelling "play ball", and hot dogs shared between a father and son as the game starts. The players have traditions all their own. Whether on the field or off the field the game has changed live and made this country happier and better with every game played.
thejmanjman

Con

I accept the debate with the understanding that when you stated that Baseball is America's "past time" what you likely meant to state is that Baseball is America's "pastime". "Past Time" is a moment of time in history, not present day. "Pastime" means something that amuses and serves to make time pass agreeably (http://www.merriam-webster.com...), specifically in relation to sports in this debate. Pro, state your case.
baseballfan1

Pro

My argument is that it is Americas past time. All these other sports are now so popular in the U.S., that now it is important to keep baseball up there as the most important game in this country. I was speaking about present day and how it is the same as it has always been for baseball. Nothing has changed when it comes to the game. Pure and simple. Baseball is important to keep around and play because it connects us with our past. It is our countys past time. It has made this country better, game by game
thejmanjman

Con

Making a statement that Baseball is "America's past time" is equivalent to saying it is the most important sporting activity today for America. While it easy to make the case that Baseball has been a very important sport for our country's history, baseball today no longer occupies the position of "America's Past Time".

From a professional sports perspective, the NFL makes more revenue per season and the average franchise is more valuable than baseball. The NFL made $11B in 2011 and MLB made only $7B (http://en.wikipedia.org...). The average NFL franchise is worth approximately $1B and the average MLB franchise is worth $523MM (http://www.plunkettresearch.com...). More value per franchise means more people care. Plus, even though each team in MLB has 10x as many games as the average NFL team, they still make less revenue, another example that fewer people care.

Further, if you simply take a look at how people spend leisure time in sports, baseball is very low on the list with more people spending time playing golf, basketball, running, soccer and swimming (among other activities).

I concede that Baseball has been important in our history but the data above proves that it's prominence in America has faded.
baseballfan1

Pro

Do football would be the most popular sport among spectators. But baseball is our countrys past time. Because football is popular now doesn't make it our past times baseball should be brought back into the lime light and honored as the great game as it is. These sports are in two different seasons. The summer is warm and people are out and about. But the fall and winter is cold while people are inside and have time to watch the games for football
thejmanjman

Con

Given that American Citizens generally choose other activities or sports besides baseball and spend more time and $$ watching other professional sports than baseball, it's clear that Baseball is no longer America's pastime. The data presented in my prior round serves as support for my statement.

I will waive my right to participate in the last two rounds as I believe my argument is complete.

Vote Con.
baseballfan1

Pro

You said past time was a time in history and not present day...your talking present day. I'm talking past. In my eyes, case closed.
thejmanjman

Con

thejmanjman forfeited this round.
baseballfan1

Pro

No response? Therefore baseball is America past time.
thejmanjman

Con

thejmanjman forfeited this round.
Posted by thejmanjman 4 years ago
thejmanjman
Sorry about the last two round forfeit. Didn't read the debate info carefully enough to see it was an hour between rounds - used to seeing a day or two.