Higgins
Danielle

Baseball is a better sport than basketball.

Started: 3/15/2008 Category: Sports

Higgins

Pro

Although both baseball and basketball are both popular team sports, there are many advantages that baseball has over basketball making it the better of the two games. For instance, while both sports promote teamwork and a collective effort by all athletes on their respective teams, baseball allows for a greater aspect of personal responsibility. Each member of the team has the opportunity to literally "go to bat" for their team and make an impact on their teams standing and the entire game. Also, teamwork is necessary to complete many plays such as the double play, triple play, 2B or SS cut off on a throw to home plate, or even to get a guy out at 1B. But at the same time, each player has to do their part in order to complte the play, thus putting a certain amount of pressure on the player and creating a good kind of stress or adrenaline rush that makes the game more exciting and fun for both the athlete and the audience.

The slower paced game of baseball is one of the main reasons why it remains such a popular sport and "America's favorite past time" ... because you can sit back, relax, have a beer, and enjoy the game without always having to be so riled up all the time. Though baseball definitely has its exciting moments, and the thrill of your favorite player hitting a home run or grand slam never gets old, its definitely a more chill game that provides for a different type of viewing experience.

For people (kids) who want to play baseball at home, but don't have a lot of money for equipment, they'll be happy to know that you can make a bat of just about anything... a stick (stickball), a paddle, a raquet, etc. And just about any type of ball... wiffle ball, hand ball, tennis ball, etc. can be used for a baseball. You can make bases out of just about anything too, even draw them on. And gloves may or may not be necessary depending on the type of ball and "bat" that is being used. But my point is that it is not a terribly expensive game to play.

The rules of baseball are pretty easy to learn, making it easy to grasp and a fun time for both beginners and champions alike.

Baseball is one of the safest sports you can play; there is little wear and tear on an athlete's body (that's why baseball players have a longer career that athletes involved with other sports) and there is a lesser chance of injury than say with basketball which is known to give its players knee problems, ankle injuries, and more.

Professional baseball is played in a ball park, which is a traditional gathering spot for friends and family to meet up and have an infamous ballpark frank, or spend the day together taking in a good game.

Professional baseball also has the most compelling trades and interesting increase and decrease of stats, also making it the most fun Fantasy pro sport game.

Baseball has been around longer in the United States than basketball, and it has earned the title of our National Pastime because so many Americans are fans. It is a fun game on any competitive level, and the better of the two sports by far. Your turn!
Danielle

Con

Basketball is the more popular sport world-wide in comparison to baseball, with basketball being ranked as the 2nd most popular with 400+ million participants, and baseball being ranked 7th with 60+ million participants. Because both sports are played in the Olympics, countries all over the world have had exposure to both games, and by the amount of participants that engage in each we can assume that more people are fans of basketball as opposed to baseball.

However I will not assume that more participants worldwide = a better sport. Well, maybe. But not necessarily. Thus I will continue on to state that a lot of basketball's assets, in my opinion, you recognized as flaws. For instance I feel that the fast pace of basketball in opposition with baseball is one of the many things that make it a more exciting game to both watch and play. Each 'play' in baseball can be dragged out and even seem monotonous after awhile (foul ball after foul ball after pitch after pitch after pitch with many seconds and pointless minutes in between). However basketball keeps both the athletes and viewers on their toes, and more plays mean more opportunities for the tone and pace of the game to shift. This gives the opposing team a better chance of coming back to regain the lead, thus making it a more exciting and fun game to engage in or spectate. Plus, having a time limit for a game increases the intensity and adrenaline much more than the rush you speak of in your argument for baseball giving you that same feeling.

Another aspect of your argument that I disagree with is when you claim that individual responsibility is *benefit* of baseball. Instead I argue that mistakes are more forgivable in basketball, and thus more emphasis is placed on cooperation and teamwork rather than showing off or stressing over the fact that your performance can either make or break the team's record. How often does a baseball player get blamed when he strikes out in the bottom of the 9th and therefore ends his team's chance of winning the game? However in a game of basketball, even if someone misses the winning shot in the 4th quarter, there were many more shots taken in the game of basketball than at-bats in a game of baseball, making it more apparent that a team's win or loss is not thanks in particular to one individual, but rather the team as a collective unit working together effectively and scoring points.

I would also like to take this opportunity to disagree that baseball is a cheaper and easier alternative to basketball. This is because kids can make "baskets" out of anything just as you can turn any instrument into a "bat" of sorts. For instance, you can use a trash can, basket or even drawn-on square box to serve as a "hoop" and just about any ball that bounces as a ball. You can even play by yourself if you had to...

Furthermore, I would like to elaborate and correct you on your argument that baseball is a safer game than basketball to play. While it's true that you will probably sustain more injuries in a game of basketball than a game of baseball, I would like to point out that basketball is in fact a more physical game, and with that intense level of athleticism being demonstrated you are bound to come across both pros and cons in terms of rewards and potential risks. For example, you may be more likely to strain a muscle while playing basketball; however, basketball is a sport that requires more physical activity and stamina.

Thus the benefit to this "risk" is the fact that basketball keeps you in much better shape than baseball does. This becomes apparent when you take a look at the physical fitness of basketball players vs. the physical health of baseball players. Basketball players have to spend long periods of time running back and forth, and constantly moving various parts of their body at the same time. It provides a great cardio work out, and keeps the muscles flexible, loose and strong. Due to the easy-going and less strenuous nature of the game, baseball players can get away with being less agile and less healthy individuals than basketball players.

Thanks to an organization like the WNBA, basketball has become a more popular sport due to its mass appeal geared for and towards women. Instead of creating an "inferior" sport like softball (many people feel like it's a sissy version of baseball), women are actually encouraged to participate in a sport like basketball, and can now even go Pro. Additionally, college basketball programs are FAR more successful than their baseball and softball programs (times ten).

In response to a ball park being an ideal place to hold a sporting event, I disagree based on the reasoning that you can play basketball in any type of weather condition during any particular season. Whereas a baseball game can be rained out, or ended early on account of drizzle or snow fall, basketball is played indoors and is therefore more convenient/consistent.

You mentioned that baseball was relatively easy to learn; I'll argue that basketball has rules and goals that are just as simple. At the same time, a certain amount of planning and strategy (not to mention practice, training, strengthening and conditioning) goes into basketball

While you contend that baseball has the most compelling trade aspects in any realm of professional sports, I'd like to point out, "The Larry Bird rule that gives NBA teams the right to match deals in order to keep their stars gives basketball the advantage" -- Baseball America.

With that, I think I'll go to bed for now. I feel like I have sufficiently responded to each and every one of your points, and in turn made some arguments of equivocal or greater value to prove that basketball is in fact the superior of the two sports. I now leave it up to you to respond, and in my next argument I will be glad to refute any of your additional points as well as provide some more of my own for a final rebuttal in the third round. Thank you and good night :)
Higgins

Pro

Based on you turning my position of basketball's flaws being assets, I think it's fair to assume that it is simply a matter of differing opinions and therefore neither can be regarded as fact.

So for instance, I say that baseball's slower paced tempo of the game is of better value than the upbeat pace of basketball, because it provides for a more relaxing sport to watch and laid back sport to play. You get to compete athletically without too much exhaustion which can and does make the game more enjoyable for certain people.

To refute your point that basketball is greater than baseball because there is a "time limit" per se, my argument is that there is also some kind of limit on baseball as there are a set number of innings (unless the game goes into extra innings, the way basketball can go into overtime).

To argue that basketball is more of a team sport because there is less individual responsibility, I also say nay... I feel as though each individual performance collectively adds to the team as a whole; everyone has equal amount of at-bats to make things happen, whereas in basketball not everyone takes the same amount of shots.

I agree that both baseball and basketball are of the same accessibility to play- touche. However on that note I would like to point out that baseball encourages more kids to play, be involved and participate in a team sport because each team requires 9 players instead of just 5. Thus more kids can play in the game without having a lot of people "sit out" or whatever.

I also think that the lesser "athleticism" you need to play baseball is actually a good thing. People who want to have the option to train their bodies, work hard, stay in shape, etc which will undoubtedly improve their performance in the game. But those who want to remain physically unfit also have the option to play (ie: a position like 1B where there is little amount of running or moving required).

Softball is not that popular, but just as there are no co-ed basketball teams, there are no co-ed baseball teams; that doesn't mean that baseball discriminates against women. And the less popularity of a sport doesn't make it less awesome, you're right. For example most people would argue that soccer or "football" is the best sport, but if you look at the numbers in this country, soccer doesn't even come close to being considered the favorite or most widely played.

I personally enjoy the fact that baseball has to be played in nice weather. It provides a nice atmosphere for players and fans alike, plus it gets people outside and enjoying the sunshine for a change.

And that's about it for now.
Danielle

Con

Almost ALL arguments made on either of our parts are going to be a matter of opinion due to the nature of the debate topic at hand. It is our job to refine our points and exemplify that our arguments are stronger than our respective opponent's; the better competitor will (hopefully) win the most votes.

With that said, I will begin by again refuting your argument that baseball is a better sport because of its slower pace laid-back nature. I disagree, sighting the fact that sports in general became popular and celebrated during the time of the Ancient Greeks, in an era where men participated in the first Olympic games and attempted to display superiroity in various aspects of athleticism. Using their bodies, men came to compete and win against their opponents by methods of paramount strength, agility, speed, talent, wit, etc. Generally, when people are able to move and think at a faster pace, it is deemed a more challenging feat. An example is a timed game of chess; people who perform at top-speed or play chess with a time clock are said to be better chess players.

Thus a sport that requires a more fast paced tempo can arguably be considered more challenging when using the logic that I have put forth. More challenging means consistent room for improvement, and a better way to exemplify talent and superiority in various areas practically synonomous with sports (i.e. strength and stamina). Also, not every game of basketball has to be fast paced. There are many teams, in fact, that are actually known to both prefer and excel during a more "laid back" game of basketball. However, the benefit of basketball over baseball is that one can always choose to either increase or decrease the level of intensity (tempo) of a game, whereas baseball is pretty consistent with its timing and pace.

In regard to a time clock vs. set number of innings required for a game, my point was not to argue that a timeclock is of greater value than a set number of innings or plays, but rather to provide an example of why having to "beat the clock" provides a greater adrenaline rush. Like I said, you can't really do much to change the tempo of a baseball game, whereas with basketball you can say, "Ok - there's only a little time left - we have to pick up the pace!" The game gets more exciting that way for both the players (who have to think on their feet and perform), and the fans who watch in anticipation to see if their team can overcome the pressure, and prevail by outsmarting and outplaying their opponents.

I can also provide a more than sufficient rebuttal to your claim that it's beneficial for everyone on the team to have equal at-bats, whereas basketball consists of various players taking different amounts of shots. My main point is that the concept of teamwork doesn't have to do with individual performances being put together to create one result, but rather a collaborative effort to virtually ignore individual success, and focus instead on the achievements of the TEAM as a whole. In other words, people on basketball teams aren't *supposed* to take the same number of shots. The beauty of it is that each position is equally important and consists of different "tasks" and responsibilities. For instance, I would expect a Shooting Guard or a Forward to take more shots than a Point Guard. Reason being that the PG's "job" isn't to make baskets, per se, but rather to find an open teammate to pass the ball to in order to complete the play and make the shot. A PG's role is different than a Center's job -- that's the beauty of it. It's different positions consisting of different players working together towards a common goal. I love it.

I would also like to argue your stance that baseball encourages more kids to play than basketball does. First of all, basketball players do not usually play for the duration of the entire game. In fact, it is common to see a frequent rotation of players going in and out of the game, thus making it not only possible but actually probable that 9 or more kids can participate on a basketball team. Additionally, since you brought up a sport's accessibility to children, I would like to point out that basketball is in fact a cheaper and easier sport to play than baseball. This is because someone would have to buy a glove or mitt to play baseball, whereas you only need 3 pieces of equipment (two "hoops" and a ball) to play b-ball. ALSO, due to the smaller ball and overall nature of the game, a baseball is easier to lose than a basketball, thus making basketball the better bet for kids who worry about losing equipment.

Again I argue the superiority of basketball to baseball due to its more demanding physical attributes to play the game. I believe that sports were designed to exhibit superior athleticism, and you clearly most be in better physical shape and have more refined skills to play basketball over baseball. Plus, a lot of people play sports as an alternative to straight-up exercise, and basketball provides a MUCH greater work out than baseball, obviously.

My opponent is correct in stating that there are neither no co-ed baseball or basketball teams; however, there is at least an official professional level agency for women's basketball, whereas baseball remains off-limits to women once they reach a professional level of their careers. Thus many girls choose to participate in basketball over baseball, because they know they have a better chance of making a living as an athlete if they chose one route over the other.

And finally, your argument that it's "nicer" to enjoy a sport in sunny weather rather than indoors is lacking, to say the least. First of all, just because you enjoy being outdoors does not mean that everybody else does. What about the millions of people who have allergies and prefer being in a place where they don't have to worry about the downsides to their condition? Second, the cancellation of games due to weather conditions can be both disappointing and a huge inconvenience. This goes for both the players, the fans, and the organizations that run the games.

Third, the weather outside - for instance the variation of hot and cold - has an impact on a player and their ability to perform. In an indoors arena, the level of playing field is typically very consistent, and therefore does not deter an athlete from performing at their best. Lastly on this point, you forgot that basketball doesn't HAVE to be played indoors -- there are many, many games and events that actually support and/or mandate that basketball be played outside, where players and fans can enjoy all of the "sunny weather" that you promoted in regards to the playing field of baseball. Thus where you can and cannot play a sport and when definitely gives basketball the advantage over baseball.

To wrap up this around, I would also like to include several key points, including:

A) Basketball allows for more strategy implementation

B)Regarding professional sports, the average basketball player earns $5 million; the average baseball player earns $2 million

C) Basketball requires more skill because a player must always play both the positions of offense and defense during the duration of a game. With baseball, a player can go an entire game (or even season!) without ever having to be on the defensive end of a play. With basketball, all players are resonsible for equal talent and performance on both ends of offense vs. defense; even if they fail in stealing or rebounding a ball, they still must guard their respective assignment or zone to the best of their ability to prevent their opponent from scoring

D) Basketball promotes self-esteem and the notion to try and never give up. This is because small players such Muggsy Bogues stood at just 5'3" tall and weighed a mere 136 lbs, and still made it to the NBA as one of the franchise's most successful players

<< No more characters :P
Higgins

Pro

Again it becomes apparent that the differentiation of the two games only lead to a matter of opinion... While I think a slower paced game is more enjoyable, you have argued that the opposite can be said of other people. And since more people do enjoy basketball over baseball according to statistics, I suppose you do have a good point.

However I ask that voters vote not based on the number of reasons that one challenger provides the other, but rather the validity of our points, and our ability of one opponent to outtalk the other and provide for a more convincing argument.

On a final note I would like to state for the record that I do believe my points have more relevance and certainty than my opponents, and I would like to take this final opportunity to argue some of her last points. Here we go...

A. Basketball does NOT in fact allow for more strategy implementation. There is an equal or more amount of strategy that goes into baseball. This is because a batter can choose a number of routes that he wants to go, for instance, attempting to hit the ball to a particular side of the field, bunting over swinging, intentionally being hit by a pitch, intentionally walking or striking out, etc. A player can also choose to steal bases, go for a double play over a single play, attempt to run home after a catch is made in the outfield, and more. A pitcher has a variety of pitching options to choose from, etc. And managers and coaches alike have to use their smarts to come up with the best route to receive the best result, so don't give me any of that crap that basketball rquires the most strategy or plays because that is simply not true.

B. Basketball might be more lucrative than baseball, so what. That doesn't make it better.

C. This much is true, basketball players do definitely have a chance to play more defense than baseball players. However baseball players still always have to be on their toes just in case a play comes to them. The suspense is that you never know where the ball is going to be in play.

D. I argue that basketball is better at discriminating against a specific body type than baseball, because in baseball there is not such an emphasis on being tall or big boned and baseball accepts athletes of all shapes and sizes

Thank you for this debate, and good luck.
Danielle

Con

Higgins, I concede that you may have been my most challenging opponent yet...

However I agree that voters should vote based on the validity of our points, as WELL as the number of points we can creatively come up with to support our position. Voters should also take into account the logic and reasoning behind each of our arguments, our gift of persuasion and articulation, and the overall presentation of our ideas to support our claim.

With that being said, I would like to point out that not only have I refuted each and every one of my opponents main points, but also provided a sufficient and succesful rebuttal to actually prove him wrong, or at least put a spin on his point to show that in fact his argument really does support the notion that basketball is in fact better than basbeall. Thus in my conclusion I will provide a re-cap of these examples, as well as include a brief summation of the additional points that I have made to which my opponent failed to prove me wrong.

Here we go...

1. My opponent argued that baseball was the better team sport, because it put more emphasis on individual success and therefore pressure to perform at one's best, and then collectively add up each teammate's contribution... or something. I replied by reminding him that a team sport is and should not be about individual performance, but rather working together towards a collaborative goal.

Win: Me

2. My challenger attempted to argue that a slower paced sport is preferable over a fast paced game; not only do I disagree (as it is, afterall, a matter of opinion) but I trumped his argument by reminding him that with basketball you have more leeway in determining the tempo of the game, whereas with baseball there's really not much you can do to speed up each individual play

Win: Me

3. My opponent agreed that baseball and basketball are both equally easy to learn and accessible to play. However I then won this argument by pointing out the fact that baseball players have to invest in gloves or mitts, while basketball players only have to utilize the two "hoops" and one (less easy to lose) ball.

Win: Me

4. Pro contends that baseball is a better sport than basketball because it provides less room for injury. On the other hand, I argue that the athleticism necessary to play basketball provides for better, more talented and well-rounded athletes to play the game. Plus, basketball is a greater source of exercise than baseball on all levels.

Win: Me, Me

5. It was a good idea to contest that a baseball's playing field is better than a basketball court due to the fact that baseball is played outdoors and typically in fair weather. However my argument is that not everyone enjoys being outdoors - especially people with allergies; the cancellation of baseball games due to weather conditions can be disappointing, dissatisfying and annoying to players, fans and those that head particular organizations; basketball can in fact be played indoors and outdoors whereas baseball cannot effectively be played indoors

Win: Me, Me, Me

6. My opponent claims that baseball has the most interesting increase and decrease of stats (thus providing for a more exciting Fantasy team experience), as well as the most compelling trades in professional sports. My argument is that the topic of debate is baseball vs. basketball, not Fantasy Baseball vs. Fantasy Basketball. Also, while baseball may have interesting trades going on, basketball definitely has superior free agent makets, so.

Win: Me, if anything

7. My opponent discussed the adrenaline rush received from baseball; I argued that beating the the time clock as opposed to playing the set number of innings provide for a greater rush.

Win: Me

8. Pro mentioned that more people can play baseball than basketball at a time, because there are 9 people on a team as opposed to 5. However I argued that basketball includes the consistent rotation of players, making it probable that 9 or more players can and will participate during the duration of an entire basketball game.

Win: Me, if anything

10. My challenger states that baseball and softball are not sexist. I feel like softball being considered a "sissy version" of baseball has a mental impact on people's assumption of the sport, especially young kids (girls). Also, the fact that there is a WNBA is a plus for women's involvement in professional sports.

Win: Me

11. As far as strategy goes, my opponent successfully argued against my point that there is more implmentation of strategic planning in basketball than in baseball. However, he did not make an argument for baseball having MORE implementation than basketball, so this point results in a tie.

Win: Tie

12. My challenger suggests that a sport bing more lucrative does not necessarily make it better, per se, and I agree. However to come people it DOES make it better... or more enjoyable... so. The win goes to me, but I'll consider it a tie.

Win: Tie

13. Pro attempted to refute the fact that basketball requires athletes to play a more equal and engaging part of both offense and defense by stating that you never know which part of the field the ball will be set to play. Or something. And while that is true, it still does not make it less true or more okay that basketball requires more skill and whatnot.

Win: Me?

14. My opponent stated that basketball discriminates against shorter or smaller people. I argue that many people have overcome that stereotype and give hope to young people who would also like to overcome adversity for a sport that they love.

Win: Me?

I believe there were even more arguments in which I have out-debated Pro, however, I will conclude for now due to the fact that my challenger has not beat me on one single point throughout this entire debate. So while I do admit that this debate was (the most challeneing, actually) extremely interesting and well-rounded, and that my opponent gave me a decent run for my money, I would also like to point out that I clearly "won" on every single point, and therefore deserve the win. I not only successfully argued against all of my opponent's claims, but also made many of my own that he could not refute. My points were all well though out, carefully constructed, and outnumber my challenger's. In addition they were all pretty clever... heh... so happy reading, and vote Con! Thanks :)
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Neither sport is any good. Tennis, baby!
Posted by Andre3000 5 years ago
Andre3000
I would like to say neither sport is better then the other why because their two different sports they both have their pro's and con's in all but at the end of the day we love sports no matter what for the joy and entertainment.
Posted by Andre3000 5 years ago
Andre3000
Posted by Buckswizz 8 years ago
Buckswizz
Excuse me for raining on your parade, but it's an argument about puny sports. Everyone knows that there is only one sport that matters and that's football or what you lot call soccer. Soccer is played globally and it's a passion that unites hundreds of nations. Outside of the US, who plays baseball or basketball?????
Posted by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
Just read Con - Round 3 to see why I won this debate.

And Higgins - thx! :)
Posted by Higgins 8 years ago
Higgins
theLwerd, you're a great debater. I actually voted Con because you definitely "out-debated" me this time, as illustrated in your closing argument. Though I do agree that we were both successful in our attempts to prove our respective points. Good job, and I look forward to debating you again in the future.
Posted by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
It keeps saying that I have 30 characters remaining, however, whenever I try to post it always says "You must have less than 8,000 characters" ... hmm. I guess I will keep deleting content and keep trying!
Vote Placed by fire_wings 1 week ago
fire_wings
HigginsDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: this is true
Vote Placed by emj32 4 years ago
emj32
HigginsDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Old debate votebomb..
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
HigginsDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: All things being equal, it is generally accepted that a quick paced, athletic, challenging, and all-weather sport is preferable (for fans, anyway) to one that is slower, less demanding, and more finicky. The arguments about children playing and popularity were less relevant.
Vote Placed by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
HigginsDanielleTied
Vote Placed by ericcollins1392 5 years ago
ericcollins1392
HigginsDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Lifeisgood 7 years ago
Lifeisgood
HigginsDanielleTied
Vote Placed by marin24 7 years ago
marin24
HigginsDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Jamic 8 years ago
Jamic
HigginsDanielleTied
Vote Placed by DorothyDorothy 8 years ago
DorothyDorothy
HigginsDanielleTied
Vote Placed by HungryAssassin 8 years ago
HungryAssassin
HigginsDanielleTied