Mr.sarcastic
KB240o

Baseball is the hardest sport.

Started: 7/13/2013 Category: Sports

Mr.sarcastic

Pro

ROUND 1: ACCEPTANCE
ROUND 2: OPENING ARGUMENT
ROUND 3: FUTHER DEBATING
ROUND 4: LAST ROUND WITH NEW ARGUMENTS
ROUND 5: CLOSING ARGUMENTS; NO NEW ARGUMENTS

Thank you
KB240o

Con

Mr. Sarcastic will you explain a more about your debate topic. Are you saying baseball is the "baddest" sport? Or baseball is the best sport? I look forward to this debate.
Mr.sarcastic

Pro

First of all just trying to tell a person that you have to hit a round ball with a round bat squarely already sounds hard. Due to the difficulty of this, failing 7 out of 10 times is still good enough to land you in the pros. I don't think if you fail catching a football 7 out of 10 times will get you in the NFL. Or making an accurate throw only 3 out of 10 times will either. You need good eyesight, good concentration, years of practice, excellent reaction, etc. a batter needs it all. Going up to bat with a wooden stick a batter has less than a 1/4 of a second to: see the pitch, judge its speed and location, decide what to do, and then swing. Once a 90 mph. fastball is released there is only 400 milliseconds until impact. The first 100 milliseconds are needed for the batters eyes to see the ball and send an image to the brain. Another 75 milliseconds are needed for the brain to determine speed and location of the pitch and another 50 more to decide where to swing the bat. With only 165 milliseconds remaining, the brain signals the swing to begin. If it's as little as 7 milliseconds to early or to late, the ball will sail foul after contact. A two pound bat swinging at 80 mph. can strike the ball with up to nine hp. Also the batter is trying to get the ball to hit the "sweet spot" which just adds to the difficulty.
KB240o

Con

I see what this debate is about now & I love sports so I look forward to this argument.

It took me a while to think about what the hardest sport there is & my answer is football. American football is the hardest sport for many reasons. To play football you have to be FAST & big & have great hand coordination (for a quarterback & wide receiver & corner back) & great footwork. As Pro said baseball takes "good eyesight, good concentration, years of practice, excellent reaction, etc. a batter needs it all." As for football, football has all this & much more. I think Pro can only argue about the batter because in baseball when on defense you only have to run & catch the ball. Football has this to but you also have someone chasing you as you are trying to make a play & you also take the chance of a serious injury, like a concussion, or broken leg, or broken arm, etc. Baseball only has the chance to injure their shoulder for pitchers. Football requires a much greater physical demand just to keep up athletically.

Please take this time to view this video that will wrap up my statement on quarterbacks

I look forward to this argument due to how different these two sports are.
Mr.sarcastic

Pro

Note that percentage rate for successful passes. 66%. So in the thousandths place it rounds out to .667. Have you ever in your lifetime heard of a MLB player having a batting average of .667. No!! It's unheard of! For baseball a player is lucky to get half that do to the fact that it is the hardest sport. You mention some qualities needed to play football, such as: speed, be big good hand coordination. Well here's the thing. In baseball hand eye coordination is key. Anyone who is good at baseball will hands down, have better hand eye coordination then anyone else.

Since failing is such a huge part of baseball it is very hard on you mentally. When you are up to bat no one can help you and everyone is watching you. However in football if you catch the ball everyone is helping you. If you make a bad catch in football you can just kind of stay on the sideline and have no one notice you and still not look bad. Also while in the defensive position in baseball every player has multiple plays going through his mind depending on where he is playing.

Hitting a fastball is just one pitch. Trying to hit that, a curve ball, fork, slider, a knuckle, etc. while not knowing what pitch he is going to throw is the biggest things in sports to feat. Batters usually try to judge what kind of pitch is being thrown by location of the arm, however, some pitchers have a very small variation is arm location.

Another difficulty is stealing, both for the runner and the defense. An average MLB baseball player with a twelve foot lead-off can get to second in 3.5 seconds. The catcher has to get rid of the ball in .9 seconds to beat the runner off a 90mph. pitch. If all goes right he will only beat the runner by .25 seconds. The "jump" for the runner is also hard. If the runner starts .05 seconds to early he could get picked off, .05 seconds to late and he could lose up to 2 feet. And for the catcher it comes down to accuracy. For every foot the 2nd baseman has to move his glove to apply the tag the runner gains 2 feet! From the catchers 128' away from second base means his margin of error is only 1 degree. That is in no way shape or form easy. In football you see all the time a bad throw, a bad catch, QB getting sacked, Gaining a couple feet or even losing a couple feet, not because its hard because they are not as skilled. Also I would like you to watch my videos.
http://m.youtube.com...
http://m.youtube.com...
http://m.youtube.com...

I hope this gives you an idea of why I keep repeating that this is the hardest sport to play.
KB240o

Con

I see what you are saying, but I believe that the only reason the timings in baseball is faster because the players are already positioned, they have a much smaller ball than a football. In foot ball you must run 10 yards in about 1 second to 1.8 seconds. Since a baseball is much lighter they do not have to wind back as much as a quarterback.

I understand the arguments about timings in baseball & this is a very strong argument but it's the only argument you can rely on. I am finding a hard time finding an argument about football reaction times and arguments but I will keep trying. but maybe this 1 video will help

Keep in mind that football players have a competitive edge from an opponent right next to them as opposed to baseball players they do not have anyone trying to hit them or giving them a battle on the field. Also remember football players are bigger and heavier as still have similar reaction time to baseball players.
This next video sums up my argument about big, fast men. Please watch my videos as I did watch all 3 of yours & these videos are entertaining.
Mr.sarcastic

Pro

Here's one thing I've noticed different in football then in baseball. In football you can take a time out and discuss your play, actually, you can discuss your play after every play. In baseball there is no such thing. Every nine players has many plays going trough his head at once. Such as, the third baseman may have to make a tough decision on whether to go for a bunt that's down the baseline or decide whether to hold up and let the pitcher get it(or some other player) with a runner on second. If he decides to go for it he now has to look at the runner on second and decide to throw to third to get him out there, throw it to first and get the batter out, or even get the runner in second in a run down if he's able to. If he throws it to first the first baseman now has to make the decision to throw it to third or not. While all this is happening the second baseman covers second; the shortstop covers third; the catcher, pitcher and third baseman are going towards the ball; left fielder backs up first; right fielder backs up third, along with the pitcher; and center backs up second all on a simple bunt. With football you look for the person you plan to throw it to and throw it to him, if he's not open throw it to someone else. Yes, he may have short time to do this but 3 seconds is the same amount of time it took Mickey Mantle to get to first. Because of these short times. third baseman's have to barehand a hard grounder and throw it accurately to first, while on the run. Easy right, no! If it was, well, we know what we would call it...
KB240o

Con

I see. The thing is baseball players are trained for things they know are going to happen. For example, lets say someone is on 1st base ok? The batter hits a ground ball down the right field, outfielder gets the ball & KNOWS to look at 2nd base because 1st base runner is running to 2nd base. Now, based on the outfielders judgment he has the choice to throw it towards 2nd base or 3rd depending where the runner is at the moment. So this is fairly easy because it falls on judgment on where to throw the ball and view of the field. Now with football the scenario is similar but not the same. The quarterback on average must throw the ball in 3 seconds minimum. Keep in mind the quarterback is also being pressured as his defenders are breaking down by a trio of giant men with great speed and strength. The quarterback also faces the chance of getting hit by a 300 pound man coming at 15 MPH (average statistics). The chances of a pitcher getting hit by a batted ball is 1-2%. The odds of a quarterback of getting sacked is about 50-50. This is why football is the hardest sport because it relies on teamwork from each position. Baseball does not. What does the catcher do? He just catches the ball & stays at home plate.

For Pro, the argument of "timings" or "reactions" in baseball is very abroad. The reason is because they know what to expect, especially on defense. In football when on defense, the defender has no idea to expect if the defender will juke left or right. The Quarterback has a blind spot so he does not know if a defender will sack him from behind. My statement is clearly supported by the previous videos I've posted before. The physical requirements for football are much greater than baseball which makes this very difficult. All football players must be in great physical condition just to keep up with his teammates. This would be very difficult for a defender like a cornerback or wide receiver if his 40 yard dash time was 7.8 which is slow in the NFL. After all this debate is about what sport is most difficult yes?

I will stop here to save arguments for closure.
Mr.sarcastic

Pro

Mr.sarcastic forfeited this round.
KB240o

Con

KB240o forfeited this round.
Posted by Mr.sarcastic 3 years ago
Mr.sarcastic
I clearly state the "hardest" as in difficulty to do. I have no idea where you got baddest or best. Some people are just idiots I guess :/
Posted by KB240o 3 years ago
KB240o
@Duncan - I was thinking that also. I hope he can be a little bit more clear in his opening statement.
Posted by Duncan 3 years ago
Duncan
Am I to take the name Mr. Sarcastic as that you're taking this whole thing as a joke?