Basic Chivalry and "Ladies First" is sexist

So here's the facts: for some odd reason young women are starting to take offense when I try to maintain some level of chivalry and respect for them in this day in age. I saw a similar debate and thought "Hey why not debate that?"

Chivalry and such includes: holding a door open, offering to carry stuff for them, paying for a meal unrequested, taking a lady's coat or hat at the door, giving up your seat for a woman, etc.

Pro must prove such actions are sexist to win, while I must prove they are not. BoP is shared; meaning that if someone if someone has 51% of the evidence on their side, they win the argument points.

First round will be acceptance.

i accept the terms of this debate. i will show how Chivalry and "Ladies first" are sexist concepts.

some definitions before we start:

Sexist: behavior, conditions or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

chivalry: an honorable and polite way of behaving, especially toward women

i look forward to this debate.

OK, let's get started, I would first like to counter my opponent's seemingly self-created definition of "Sexist" Let's look at the actual definition of sexism from Merriam-Webster:

Full Definition of SEXISM
: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women
: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

So, first off, my opponent neglected to show us that his definition of sexist is actually the secondary definition of sexism.

Also, here is the full definition of Chivalrous:
Full Definition of CHIVALROUS

1: valiant
2: of, relating to, or characteristic of chivalry and knight-errantry
3a : marked by honor, generosity, and courtesy
3b : marked by gracious courtesy and high-minded consideration especially to women.

In this debate we will obviously be concentrating on 3b since this debate pertains to sexist attitudes towards women.

Now, here is my main contention:

Reasons for activities such as chivalry:

Now, why exactly would a man be nice to a woman by holding a door open, letting her go first, giving her his chair, or offering to carry an object? Is it because we think women are weak and honestly are struggling to carry that stack of three notebooks? No, obviously not. When we pay for her meal do we honestly think she is too poor to pay for it? No, obviously not. Then why do we do it? One word: respect.

Respect for a woman does not mean that we downplay her as a person, or deny her abilities. On the contrary, it means that I am respecting her as a person and saying that she is important, and that is in no way sexist. When, let's face it, it's really easy in today's culture to actually be sexist and treat women like objects desire, big and deliberate steps need to be made to make women feel dignified and of worth to men, but hey, if a woman honestly want me to forget all that and only think about her boobs, I can accomplish that too.

Sources will be posted in a source bank in the last round.

I thank my opponent for his quick response. However, in his first line he attempts to posion the well by asserting that I "created" a definition for the word sexism, in an attempt to be misleading. As it is shown to be the second definition of the word Sexism, i am unsure how it could be "self-created."

Going with the definition that i provided, prior to the debate beginning, it is evidenced by the second definition of Sexism and the definition of Chivalry that Chivalry is a Sexist concept. As Chivalry (and Chivalrous, as my opponent defined) specifically indicate "women" in it's definition, which implies that chivalrous behavior is behavior that speciafically singles out women.

1. more than usually

2. used to indicate something that deserves special mention

3. for a particular purpose or person

The reason chivalrous behavior does not seem sexist by the first definition of Sexism is because (A) it is not a discriminatory practice against women and (B) because it is expected of men. However, if we dissect what "chivalry" implies, and how it is seen by a large portion of the public (through media, religion, personal interactions), we can see that not acting in a chivalrous way will bring a form of prejudice against men, by way of assuming he is disrespectful. My opponent also indicates this in his Opening Statement. (One Word: Respect). While not acting in a chivalrous way does not automatically imply disrespectful, the way a non-chivalrous man is portrayed, seen, and thought of is generally a way that assumes he does not respect women. This may be a hasty generalization, but as traditionalist values are still of high import (Ladies First, A "Real man" does not hit a woman), i do not believe it to be a fallacious argument to state that a non-chivalrous man is seen as disrespectful, due to him not giving special consideration to women.

Chivalry, or lack thereof, is made up of, and begets, sexist attitudes, by both definitions of the term.

justin.graves forfeited this round.

I shall rest until my opponent presents evidence in support of his claim. As the BoP is shared, I wish to allow him ample time and opportunity to support his postion, and refute mine.

justin.graves forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited once again. I shall take this to mean that he has conceded this debate. Please vote Pro.

I thank my opponent for selecting this topic, and i thank the audience for taking the time to read and assess our arguments.
Posted by Romanii 2 years ago
I think it's more sexist towards men than women...
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
When will the feminists shut up?
Posted by justin.graves 2 years ago
Well, that honestly depends, I do similar things for guys all the time but certainly give preferable treatment to girls. So let's go with chivalry pertaining to women on a higher frequency then men.
Posted by PiedPiper 2 years ago
Is the implication here that these acts you are performing (holding a door, offering a seat, taking hat/coat, etc.) are actions you are only performing with women and not with men? Just want to clarify before possibly accepting.
Vote Placed by oculus_de_logica 2 years ago