Kalbomb
Koketso_Nonyane

Basketball is the most exciting sport to watch

Started: 1/15/2013 Category: Sports

Kalbomb

Pro

Basketball is a fantastic sport and is enjoyable whether watching or actually playing yourself. I will provide 3 reasons in my opening argument as to why I find basketball to be more exciting to watch than any other sport. Whomever becomes my opponent doesn't necessarily have to just address these three points and can expand upon their argument as they see fit. Also the argument doesn't have to be confined to NBA or WNBA level only.

1. It is a very fast paced game.
-Something is happening at just about any moment when one is watching basketball. When compared with other sports this becomes even more so evident. Take baseball for example. I have absolutely nothing against baseball and actually very much enjoy it as well, however even I have to say that it is significantly slower paced than basketball. The same goes for football, especially a game that is heavily penalized.
2. Big time plays
-There's something about someone managing to dunk in the face of someone half a foot taller than them or hitting a last second half court three that just gets you completely pumped up. Maybe a player has to hit a clutch free throw or his team will lose. Everything riding completely on that one player and not any other, whether on his or the other team, is amazing to think about.
3. It can be a roller coaster ride that doesn't give you time to rest
-It's the playoffs, game 7, and you are watching your team, the total underdog go back and forth with the powerhouse favorite. Your team hits a three and goes up by one, and you go wild. The other team comes right back and hits a three of their own. Your team pushes the ball up the floor and slams down a dunk right over the other team's best player. Unlike many other sports there is no break right after every score. It's a constant back and forth where anything can happen next. You don't get a chance to settle down from the last score it just keeps building. Yes, there are obviously timeouts and fouls in basketball, but overall it is still very much the most exciting.

I look forward to this debate as it is my first.
Koketso_Nonyane

Con

As part of my argument,I will only give reference to soccer while trying to "show" that [basketball is not the most exciting sport in the world]

Firstly,soccer is the most watched sport in the world,its even watched more than basketball in America.This just seems to imply that most Americans(and the rest of the world) find more excitement in watching soccer than in watching basketball

VIBE:Soccer has more vibe than basketball because there are way more people in a soccer stadium than in a basketball arena.Most teams,club level or national level have their own songs,which they sing with passion during the game.

PENALTIES,FOULS:as a basketball fan,I am surprised you criticize other sports for having many fouls.THE ENDGAME is one of the most boring part of basketball because the losing teams is always committing fouls,some fouls in the endgame may be more than fouls committed by soccer teams during the second half.
Kalbomb

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate and best of luck to you! Alright now to the debate.

Most Watched: As far as the United States is concerned, I would say that basketball is much more of a major sport than soccer would be. However, in European countries and other places of the world I do know that it is quite popular, and I feel culture plays a part in this. As strange as it may sound, I don"t think that most watched overall necessarily makes it the most exciting.

Vibe: A sport like soccer may be able to hold more people in their stadiums, however more does not always equal better. A basketball stadium is an enclosed space with many people packed within though granted quite a bit less than a soccer stadium. You can get an amazing feeling of connectivity with the game because it is possible to sit courtside and could literally touch a player by reaching out. Fans are able to truly take in every detail of the game up close and personal and feel like they are in the action. The electricity in the air during a back and forth basketball game can truly create excitement and bring an entire stadium together to cheer for their team. Fans seated behind each rim get to feel as though they are part of the game by trying to go wild and make a free throw shooter miss his shot. Anytime a free throw shooter misses, you better believe those guys think they played a part in it and they love it.

PENALTIES, FOULS: Concerning many fouls in the endgame of a basketball game, yes they can make the final 2 minutes or more take about the same length of a regular quarter. There are two things that I think make this acceptable though. Firstly, it is generally used strategically when one team fails to force a turnover via the five second rule (failing to inbound the ball within 5 seconds) or managing to steal the ball quickly when they are down quite a bit with little time remaining. Due to this happening at the end of a game, it can actually build the excitement as it prolongs the crucial final minutes that will decide the victor of the game, and opens the possibility for making a wild last second shot to win. So really in this case I think that it builds excitement rather than boredom.
Koketso_Nonyane

Con

Koketso_Nonyane forfeited this round.
Kalbomb

Pro

Well I believe I have made the points I wanted to and have no other argument to respond to at this time so I suppose I shall wrap this up.
Thank you again for accepting my debate Koketso Nonyane. Best of luck to us both.
Koketso_Nonyane

Con

Koketso_Nonyane forfeited this round.
Posted by Kalbomb 4 years ago
Kalbomb
Ha this is true. I don't get alot of chances to watch any rugby, but if I happen to see it on TV I enjoy watching it. It's pretty fun and interesting.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Rugby and tennis are pretty exciting.