Batman: Arkham or Assassin's Creed

Started: 1/25/2016 Category: Games

I understand that Assassin's Creed is a great franchise, and is loved around the world. It currently has nine main games in it's series, and is currently working on the tenth. Don't get me wrong, all of AC is brilliant, and I love playing the games myself. However. Batman: Arkham series started in 2009, and got GOTY first game. They introduced a brand new combat system never before seen in the gaming industry. And all games were awarded best campaign for each year. The second game also gained 2011's GOTY, and the latest game, Batman: Arkham Knight, got 2015's best graphics award. Batman: Arkham has 4 games, while, AC, has 9. Quality over quantity if you ask me. I understand that this debate will be mostly opinion based. May the best game win.

I accept the challenge.

Good luck, have fun.

So, let's start with combat. The fighting mechanic from Batman: Arkham was something that made the game unforgettable for me. Not because it was AMAZING and not because it had the level of depth that I wanted from a brawler-type game. But because it fitted the genre perfectly.

Honestly, playing this game makes you want to yell out "BLAM! KERPOW! ZOING!" (zoing?) every time you land a hit because things just seem so comic-book. And so relevant.

So what"s it all about?

Well for anyone who hasn"t played, or was looking for clarification, Batman: Arkham Asylum (and Arkham City) employ combo-chain fighting system known as the "Freeflow combat system". This uses a mixture of attacks, blocks and stuns in order to take out groups of enemies (generally unarmed or armed with melee weapons) that vary in size from 2 to about 40. Basically you begin by striking enemies using X (for Xbox, I"m not 100% on the controls for PlayStation or PC) and countering enemies moves by pressing Y. Any spamming or damage interrupts your combo counter. Once your counter reaches above 4 hits, you can add a little more movement to the system. This is the "flowing" implied by the name, basically by hitting X (or whatever attack button) and a direction you will jump off and hit someone who is in that location. Your combo counter continues to increase and once it reaches above 8 hits you can perform a "takedown" which initially results in Batman breaking some dudes arm or leg. You are also able to takedown enemies that are stunned (on the ground) at any time by pressing R+Y. As the game goes on you get different take downs, fight different types of opponents with different weapons and basically constantly improve your combat skills until you can build up some very large combo-counts. Your experience gain is based off your largest combo per fight, so this is important. Your gadgets can come into the combos as well (especially in Arkham City) so getting a handle on those adds more depth to the system once again.
And this is awesome because...
It can seem like a fairly basic, cinematic based experience with little control by the player on what moves exactly they are performing. At least, for someone who is new to the game or has never played it. When I first started, I personally thought the system was way too easy. Until I figured out that I was just spamming X and my combo counter was staying below 5 subsequent hits. Then I realised I probably had room for improvement. And I still do today That"s the deceptive quality of this system, it really is a "easy to learn, difficult to master" situation. It can make anyone look like they are awesome at the game, but when you see someone who truly knows what they are doing every second then it"s a completely different experience. I'm a lot better at it now, and I got 4th in the world for combat challenge in Arkham City.
But what's the alternative?
Superhero games are traditionally famous for two things: having a typical "level up and pick some new combos" fighting system and being bad games. Batman: Arkham Asylum was lauded as "the only good superhero game ever made" and if you don"t think the combat system was part of this, you don"t think.

Let"s compare it to Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions. This uses a semi-similar combat system, but with a more generic angle. You start with handful of moves (XXY, ABA that kind of thing) and then as you gain experience you pick new combos that look attractive at the level up screen. Arkham does this as well for both games, so there is common ground. Over the course of the game you learn the combos and deploy them situationally, meaning your combat becomes more and more layered and complex as the game goes on.

Awesome right? Wrong.

The problem with these systems is that inevitably you pick a couple choice combos (since there really aren"t that many possible situations in this type of game) and then cycle through them as needed. This means out of a potential 50 combos, you end up using your favourite 5. This was particularly true when I played Bayonetta.

And what does repeating combos mean? Repeated animations.

Here is where the "Freeflow" combat system pulls ahead. By randomizing your combat animation depending on random chance AND context, they manage to pull a much more cinematic experience as Batman uses a variety of moves and all you need to do is press X. This means the combat doesn"t get dull and you don"t feel pressured into trying new, dangerous things just to break your character out of the same four hits you have been using for the last two hours.
So what"s the catch?
Well, it"s not perfect. Admittedly even the random kickassery that Batman exhibits (and there are maybe 10-15 moves total) can become stale. It gets to a point where you have seen it all before.
Also, depending on which hit is randomized, your attack speed differs. So say a guy is about to hit you and you have a choice between hitting him first or trying a counter. 8/10 times your hit will go through, but on those other 2 occasions you might randomize something a bit more flashy (like a backwards kick) and the guy will punch you before your hit has time to land. This becomes especially frustrating when you have a combo multiplier upwards of 30.
Similarly, it can become difficult to differentiate whether enemies on the ground are knocked out or simply knocked down. This means if you try and pull a "finisher" and they are standing back up your combo will break. Similarly if you pull a "finisher" and they are completely out cold, it breaks your combo. Fitting your gadgets into the combos (not to mention stuns) can also be frustrating.
Apple or oranges? (Go banana!)
Clearly there is a playstyle choice to be made here. If you are a kid who grew up on Tekken and are fully confident in your ability to memorise hundreds of combos and then deploy them in the exact-right situation they are suited for " odds are you will wish there was more depth to the "Freeflow" combat system.
If you, like me, find combos necessary but also exhaustive " you will prefer a system which focuses much more on timing and placement than on muscle memory alone.
The point is, this is a combat system that was fresh, unique and makes you feel like a superhero in every single fight. And in an age of sequels, repetitions and thousands of shooters - what is different (and successful) must be embraced to survive.
Also, it's Batman remember? He totally fights like that! At least when he's not dancing...

Assassin's Creed's Turn.

I forgot about this debate for a long while, so arguments will follow next round.

This argument is entirely plagarized from

Incidentally, the self-same website also states that this sort of combat system was pioneered by Assassin's Creed.

ArkhamKnight753 forfeited this round.

ArkhamKnight753 forfeited this round.

okay thanks

ArkhamKnight753 forfeited this round.
Posted by MikeTheGOd 9 months ago
arkham all day