GeneralPlatypus
leet4A1

Batman is better than Superman

GeneralPlatypus

Pro

Batman is much better than Superman! Please, challenge me! But be wary! I have a massive intellect and loads of facts to back myself up!.... I am waiting...
leet4A1

Con

Thanks to my opponent for posting this debate. I've never partaken in one of these superhero debates, so what the hell.

My opponent wasted his entire first round taunting his eventual challenger, so I have nothing to refute as yet. Therefore, I will post a few of my own arguments in this first round.

My opponent has asserted that Batman is better than Superman, so I have 2 paths I can follow; I believe I'll pursue both.

1. My first argument is the obvious subjectivity of the word "better". Better at what? Better to whom? You bet'er how much she wouldn't do it?!?! As which superhero is better is entirely subjective, it stands that neither can never truly be defined as better than the other, it entirely comes down to who you're talking to.

2. My second argument is that Superman is CLEARLY better than Batman. I will go about showing this by naming traits a superhero/character should generally possess, and arguing that Superman trumps Batman in every one.

i) SUPER POWERS
This goes without saying.

"Superman's famous arsenal of powers has included flight, super-strength, invulnerability to non-magical attacks, super-speed, vision powers (including x-ray, heat-emitting, telescopic, infra-red, and microscopic vision), super-hearing, and super-breath, which enables him to blow out air at freezing temperatures, as well as exert the propulsive force of high-speed winds." [1]

Batman is a regular guy with a gnarly suit. He can fight pretty good and comes up with some pretty cool inventions. End of story.

ii) VULNERABILITIES

Superman is vulnerable ONLY to Kryptonite, an extremely rare mineral from the planet Krypton. Batman is vulnerable to just about everything if he's in the wrong place at the wrong time.

iii) CHICK PULLING ABILITIES
Superman is more often than not portrayed in a relationship with Lois Lane, and also has many other women admirers which sometimes gets on Lois Lane's nerves. Even in comic form, Lois Lane is hot, and I don't think my opponent can deny this. When played in live-action films/TV, Lois has been portrayed by such hotties as Margot Kidder, Kate Bosworth and of course Teri Hatcher. [2]
Batman, on the other hand, spends a good majority of his time in a dungeon with a creepy old man.

I'll leave it here for this round. Thanks to my opponent, I'm hoping he provides a well-thought rebuttal argument.

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] - http://en.wikipedia.org...
GeneralPlatypus

Pro

Thank you for challenging so swiftly! However, I must go full force!

1) Although, as you said, superman has a wonderful range of cute powers that allows him to take out the baddies, He is as dumb as a nut! Brain over brawn is not always the case, but many times, it is! Batman has adapted to stealth, intellect, and facing tough opponents. This gives him incredible skill in many areas! Superman is not used to any, leaving him at a disadvantage.

2) As you have explained, batman would lose in face to face combat. However, that is not how he fights! He uses stealth, guerrilla, and fear as his weapons!

3) Next, the problem with superman is that he is a SUPERHERO! This means he has a weakness, and ANYONE possesing it can end his life easily! Batman has unlimited resources, and could get his hands on kryptonite quite easily!

4) On the chick comment. Having an army of babes makes it only EASIER to trap him! A very good trap could undo superman with ease (with kryptonite of course).

5) On the "Batman is an ordinary guy" comment. There is another (much more ordinary) man than batman, he, like batman, is filthy rich and has a lot of resources! His name is Lex Luther, and he beats superman ALL THE TIME! He barley escapes! With a better, smarter opponent, superman would be UNDONE!

(beat that!)
leet4A1

Con

"Thank you for challenging so swiftly! However, I must go full force!"

Superman can do both better than Batman. :D

"1) Although, as you said, superman has a wonderful range of cute powers that allows him to take out the baddies, He is as dumb as a nut! Brain over brawn is not always the case, but many times, it is! Batman has adapted to stealth, intellect, and facing tough opponents. This gives him incredible skill in many areas! Superman is not used to any, leaving him at a disadvantage."

My opponent is going to have to provide evidence for his assertion that Superman is "dumb as a nut", because I haven't seen anything to support this. He manages to keep his identity as Superman hidden from EVERYONE except Lois Lane, who he chose to tell. This takes incredible genius, whereas Batman chooses to conceal his identity with a mask, presumably because he knows that if he ever got picked up on it he'd be too stupid to talk his way out of it.

As for stealth, well perhaps this old chestnut will help explain just how stealthy Superman can be:
-------------
Superman and the Flash were sitting atop a building, and could see Wonder Woman standing on an adjacent rooftop. Superman made a bet with the Flash that he could fly over to the adjacent rooftop, have sex with Wonder Woman, and return to the Flash before she even realized her underwear was missing. So he does the deed, and returns to the Flash, who's quite impressed. Meanwhile, on the other rooftop, Wonder Woman enquires aloud "did you hear something just now?" The Invisible Man pops up next to her and says, "no, but my @$$ really hurts."
-------------
Now, my opponent may use this joke to show Superman's stupidity, but we must remember that this is just a joke. But it is a joke based upon truth, the truth being that Superman is stealthier than a mother effer.

"2) As you have explained, batman would lose in face to face combat. However, that is not how he fights! He uses stealth, guerrilla, and fear as his weapons!"

Once again, Superman is far stealthier than Batman, so there's no contest there. He also fears nobody. Tell me, how do you think the fight between the two would go down such that Batman would win. I can assure you there will always be a way out for Superman from Batman's attacks, but not vice-versa.

"3) Next, the problem with superman is that he is a SUPERHERO! This means he has a weakness, and ANYONE possesing it can end his life easily! Batman has unlimited resources, and could get his hands on kryptonite quite easily!"

Right, he has one weakness, which I mentioned in the first round as being Kryptonite. If Batman did somehow get his hands on some kryptonite, he would first have to catch Superman before he could use it against him. Once again, if you think this is possible please explain how.

Now Batman, on the other hand, has countless weaknesses. He is but a mere man with some good fighting skills and inventions. If Bruce Wayne was walking up the street and someone stabbed him in the back with a knife, he'd be a goner. That's all it would take. If someone dared try that on Superman, the knife would bend and the perp would end up with a broken wrist for his trouble.

"4) On the chick comment. Having an army of babes makes it only EASIER to trap him! A very good trap could undo superman with ease (with kryptonite of course)."

He doesn't have an army of chicks, he just has exceptional chick-pulling abilities. Superman doesn't settle down for no woman, and nor would he succumb to such an obvious trap. Bruce Wayne, on the other hand, is in a homoerotic relationship with Alfred, who could similarly be used as a trap. Of course, Superman wouldn't need to resort to such underhanded tactics, because he could beat Batman easily enough without them.

"5) On the "Batman is an ordinary guy" comment. There is another (much more ordinary) man than batman, he, like batman, is filthy rich and has a lot of resources! His name is Lex Luther, and he beats superman ALL THE TIME! He barley escapes! With a better, smarter opponent, superman would be UNDONE!"

All you've shown here is the difficulty in writing comics based on Superman, and that's precisely BECAUSE he's so unbeatable. For the comics to be entertaining, they can't just have Superman winning every single fight he's involved in. A story needs conflict and conflict resolution, which means at some stage or another Superman must be made to be beaten, at least momentarily. But we are not talking about a story written to appeal to an audience; we are talking about Superman's abilities and Batman's abilities. I have shown time and again that based upon such, Batman wouldn't stand a chance. The fight would last about 3 seconds, and Batman wouldn't even get a punch in. He's just not quick enough to go toe to toe with Superman.

"(beat that!)"

Done and done.
GeneralPlatypus

Pro

GeneralPlatypus forfeited this round.
leet4A1

Con

My opponent forfeited his final round, presumably because he realized how futile it was to argue that Batman is in any way better than Superman. All unrebutted arguments from previous rounds are extended, vote CON.
Posted by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
This doesn't bode well for my Superman v. Kirby debate...
Posted by GeneralPlatypus 8 years ago
GeneralPlatypus
Everyone vote General Platypus!
Posted by GeneralPlatypus 8 years ago
GeneralPlatypus
Oh contraire Maikuru! I have pointed out the weaknesses and how he makes up for them! Superman has many flaws and would not stand a CHANCE!
Posted by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
I don't know about that, General. You've already conceded that Superman has better powers, fewer vulnerabilities, more women, and could defeat Batman in a fight. You've shown how Batman is different from Superman, not how he is "better."
Posted by GeneralPlatypus 8 years ago
GeneralPlatypus
This battle is already won! Leet's arguments are all too easy to counter!
Posted by anotherkid 8 years ago
anotherkid
I think people spend too much time/words bagging on their opponent instead of actually debating the subject...
Posted by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
If you're interested in a comic debate, sherlock, let me know! I'd wager my comic collection rivals yours =D
Posted by sherlockmethod 8 years ago
sherlockmethod
I really wanted this one, and I have the comics to back up the con position! I love being a geek.
Posted by leet4A1 8 years ago
leet4A1
Haha, sorry brother. You know what they say about snoozing and losing... ;D
Posted by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
I saw this debate earlier, but in the time it took me to sign in, it was already accepted. You won this round, leet...
Vote Placed by Dingo7 7 years ago
Dingo7
GeneralPlatypusleet4A1Tied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
GeneralPlatypusleet4A1Tied