pbplk58
dpflames786

Battle of sports: Soccer (PRO) vs. Basketball (CON)

Started: 1/4/2010 Category: Sports

pbplk58

Pro

I am arguing FOR soccer. Whoever accepts this debate will be arguing for basketball. The actual debate will commence in round 2.
Rules:
1. When accepting this debate you will post a single alphanumeric character as your response in round 1.
2. Debating will commence in round 2, where I will present my argument.
3. Your argument should consist of an explanation of why your sport is better than your opponent's sport and a response to your opponents arguments.
dpflames786

Con

I took the debate. Commence.
pbplk58

Pro

Please keep arguments brief. I don't really want to be reading 8000 characters worth of basketball. Thanks : )

Soccer is better than basketball because it is more popular and it is more exciting to play and to watch.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. There are many reasons why soccer is so popular. One reason is that it can be played quickly. A pick-up game of soccer can start within 5 minutes. All you have to do is set up goals, which can be as simple as two rocks, and pick teams. Very little equipment is needed. For basketball, you need a basketball hoop. Which can cost hundreds of dollars.
Soccer is exciting, in several ways.
1.There is non-stop play, except for one halftime break. In basketball there are several ways to stop the clock: calling a timeout, fouling, etc.
2.Soccer usually has a low score. So getting that one goal can be extraordinarily sweet. Soccer goals can also be incredible. Curves, headers, bicycle kicks, scissors, the list goes on and on. What's the best thing you have in basketball? Slam dunk, alley-oop?
3.In soccer it is much easier to perform tricks with the ball, which are fun and exciting. For example, when juggling a soccer ball, one can perform several tricks including: around the world, rainbow, scorpion, balancing the ball on your foot, balancing the ball on your back, etc. You can also perform tricks while dribbling: maridonas, scissors, double scissors, jay-jays, etc. While these can be done in basketball they occur less frequently in basketball games.
dpflames786

Con

My opponent failed to define the terms. Because of this, I will now define them:
Battle: any conflict or struggle

Sports: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

Soccer: A game played on a rectangular field with net goals at either end in which two teams of 11 players each try to drive a ball into the other's goal by kicking, heading, or using any part of the body except the arms and hands. The goalie is the only player who may touch or move the ball with the arms or hands.

Basketball: a game played by two teams of usually five players each on a rectangular court having a raised basket or goal at each end, points being scored by tossing the ball through the opponent's basket.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world only because it was created 43 years earlier, giving it more time to spread. This gives soccer an unfair advantage, making your argument invalid. Also, basketball courts have been set up around most locations in the world. This makes basketball very accessible as well. Also, at the private school West Island College in Calgary, AB, which has one of the most advanced Gyms in Calgary, there are 6 basketball nets, yet no proper soccer nets, making basketball more accessible. To clash with your arguments: (1), I will point out the fouls, out of bounds, and timeouts are also in soccer, making this point invalid. (2) Because of the high score, fans can celebrate for many scores, not just wait around for 1 goal, which makes Basketball more exciting. Every point gives excitement to fans watching or people playing. As well, in soccer, if you are down by a few goals, much hope is given up as goals come rarely. In basketball however, it is possible to score many points in little time, giving fans a game to cheer for till the final buzzer, and even after if there is an attempted buzzer beater. (3) Tricks in basketball are just as exciting (alley-oop from behind the net, dunks, very exciting ball dribbling tricks etc.)

I will now state my 3 pillars:

1. Basketball is much more fair: In soccer, the goalkeeper can use their hands, giving them an unfair advantage inside their crease area. In basketball however, all players get the same advantages and disadvantages, making more fair.

2. Basketball referee's in professional are better: Recently, there was a controversial goal assisted by an obvious handball by Thierry Henry of the France national team. It was a miss call by the referee, which, by the way, has not happened in the recent years of professional basketball.

I will state and elaborate on my third pillar in my next post.
pbplk58

Pro

Sorry about not defining the terms. I guess I didn't exactly plan on a legitimate debate. Nevertheless, I will continue because soccer IS better than basketball.

===============
Defending my case
===============

My opponent claims that because soccer was created 43 years earlier, it has an unfair advantage in popularity. This claim can easily be refuted with an example from Australia. One year, Australia qualified to compete in the world cup for the first time in 32 years. The first game against Japan beat the State of Origin in television coverage. The State of Origin is the most popular sporting event in Australian culture. So, even though Australian soccer fans had not seen their team I the world cup in 32 years, the soccer game against Japan was watched more than the country's most popular sporting event. This shows how soccer is popular even after just being introduced to a large base of people. Also, as health.org outlines: soccer is popular not only because it hold the world's biggest sporting tournament, the FIFA World Cup, but also because it is simple to learn, the rules are easy to understand, and it is so easy to form a game in minutes.

My opponent also says that basketball courts have been set up in most locations in the world. He brings up an example of a school in Calgary with no soccer nets, which makes basketball more accessible. Firstly, that is only ONE school, and can't be applied on a global scale. Secondly, you don't need regulation soccer nets to play a game of soccer with your friends, while you need a basketball net to play basketball.

1. My opponent says that my first point is invalid because there are fouls, out of bounds, and timeouts in soccer. This does not refute my argument completely. Fouls and out of boundaries are inevitable in soccer. They do not necessarily stop play, while in basketball a team may call a timeout for a specific amount of time. There are no timeouts in soccer that a team can call. Thus, soccer is non-stop play (save for halftime and injuries). However, in basketball, a team has six time-outs that they can use to stop the play of the game.

2. My opponent says that because basketball has a higher score, it makes it more exciting. However, in soccer, getting that one golden goal is a terrific feeling for the player. For the fans, a goal is cause for a major celebration. When do people jump around, dance, scream at the top of their lungs, wave flags, or (in rowdier crowds) throw beer during a basketball game? You may think this makes soccer fans rude, but it only shows passion for the game that you can't find at a basketball game.

2a. My opponent also says that if a team is down by a few goals, fans can become bored of watching soccer because goals are so infrequent. I will address this in two ways.
i) Soccer goals are not necessarily infrequent. In fact, in one soccer game, the score was a whopping 31-0 (roughly a goal every 3 minutes)
ii) Goals can be scored very quickly. Statistically most goals are scored within 2 minutes of other goals, and the fastest goal ever scored was after 7 seconds of play.

3. My opponent claims that tricks in basketball are just as exciting. However he failed to refute my claim that basketball tricks are VERY infrequent, while several soccer tricks can be seen nearly every game.

====================
My opponent's arguments
====================

1. Basketball is not necessarily fairer. In soccer, the goalkeeper can use their hands to protect the goal because it would be very difficult to do so if they couldn't. Also, both teams have a goalie, making it fair. In many ways, soccer is actually fairer than basketball. For example, a team cannot stand in their opponent's "paint" for more than 3 seconds at a time.

2. Just because, in one soccer game, a referee made a bad call doesn't mean that basketball referee's are better. There are hundreds of examples of basketball referees making horrible calls. You can't assume that soccer referees are inferior to basketball referees just because you can name one example when a soccer referee made a bad call.
dpflames786

Con

dpflames786 forfeited this round.
pbplk58

Pro

Well, I guess my opponent forgot to post his response to my arguments. Oh well. Extend all of my arguments, and for the voter's enjoyment here's another video on some cool soccer tricks.
dpflames786

Con

dpflames786 forfeited this round.
Posted by Bennyot 3 years ago
Bennyot
Cons second point about timeouts is invalid. There are no possible ways ever to stop the clock in soccer except for half time at 45 minutes.
Posted by bigtree 7 years ago
bigtree
Until his exams, he was owning
Posted by pbplk58 7 years ago
pbplk58
rly? 7 points to urself after u forfeited?
Posted by pbplk58 7 years ago
pbplk58
no problem. I had a midterm this week too. :D
Posted by dpflames786 7 years ago
dpflames786
Very sorry... I've had exams! Please excuse me. :(
Posted by pbplk58 7 years ago
pbplk58
haha...were you making them at 11:00? You do realize that the time limit is three days right? You could've just made them at, you know, a normal waking hour! lol
Posted by dpflames786 7 years ago
dpflames786
It's 11:50at night... I just posted my arguments!
Posted by pbplk58 7 years ago
pbplk58
also, for my video, my personal favorite goal is at 2:21 where Ronaldo curves the ball. Best goal I've ever seen.
Posted by pbplk58 7 years ago
pbplk58
@Lwerd - I actually thought I would be vote bombed because in America soccer has not yet been recognized. While most people know basketball (heck everyone does).
@wonderwoman - how?
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
Soccer is an awesome sport! Why not just stat your argument now? I'm sure that you do not need all 8,000 characters for your soccer argument...
Vote Placed by serp777 6 years ago
serp777
pbplk58dpflames786Tied
Vote Placed by dpflames786 7 years ago
dpflames786
pbplk58dpflames786Tied
Vote Placed by bigtree 7 years ago
bigtree
pbplk58dpflames786Tied
Vote Placed by pbplk58 7 years ago
pbplk58
pbplk58dpflames786Tied