Battlefield will become the #1 FPS

Started: 4/29/2014 Category: Games

First round is just to accept
I'm Pro so we need a person who favors Call of Duty
BTW l'll be in school.

I accept the challenge. Let's just be clear on what "#1 FPS" means: it means top-selling first person shooter, all platforms considered.

As required, my position will be that Call of Duty will remain the top-selling FPS game. I will not argue that CoD is a better franchise than Battlefield, only that it will keep on selling more.

Thanks for excepting. I

Battlefield came out first in 2003 while Call of Duty came out in 2004, but Call of Duty rose pretty quickly to power as the top FPS in a period of ten years. Now I've played COD WaW as a loyal fan and at one point said "This game is the best, no one will ever beat it!" Battlefield on the other hand took a little longer to rise to popularity, but when Battlefield 3 came out in 2011 it shook the FPS world with its Frostbite and Dice which made the engine for the graphics and movement look top notch. When I got tired of CoD (in none sales related matters such as quick scoping) I just played other games that I liked. A friend then told me" Play Battlefield 3, it's intense." It just so happen I had it, but I hadn't played multiplayer yet. So I got an EA origins account and got everything set up and started playing. I was blown away, I could just tanks and fly helis across the huge maps. Building crumbling and explosions trying to get me out of a foxhole I was prone in. There was nothing else like it, well maybe Arma, but that's a different story. This game I barely knew existed was rising to power quicker then most might've thought it would. It rose right up to second place right next to Call of Duty Black Ops and WM3.

Know with Battlefield 4 and Ghost here they seem to be neck and neck. Only the next Battlefield and COD will determine the victor. What do you think?

Actually the first Call of Duty came out in 2003 (October 29), but that doesn't really matter.

I'm glad to hear that you were a CoD WaW fan. Personally I wasn't really blown away by this iteration (although zombie was quite sweet), I much preferred CoD4 and CoD6 (though I don't consider myself a 'fan'), but again that is besides the point.

You claim that Battlefield 3 'shook the FPS world', yet Battlefield 3 sold 15 million copies and CoD MW3 (which came out 2 weeks after Battlefield 3) sold more than 25 million copies. Don't you find it odd that the FPS you claim shook the FPS world came out the year where Activision sold the most copies of Call of Duty (MW3 sold more than any other CoD game)?

You bring an interesting point when you say that the Battlefield series is gaining rapid popularity, so let's see if that is actually the case:

- Call of Duty Ghosts sold 14,5 million copies. A significant drop from its predecessor, mostly due to console transition.

- Battlefield 4 reportedly sold 69% less copies than it's predecessors (so around 4,6 million copies). Console transition is obviously a factor in this case as well.

Now let's compare the two events:

- Battlefield 3 sold 40% less copies than CoD MW3.

- Battlefield 4 sold approximately 68% less copies than CoD Ghosts.

It would therefore seem that Battlefield is NOT going to become the #1 FPS.

On a side note, I personnaly believe that Destiny is going to become the #1 FPS, but that's just a hunch.

CoD sales:
Battlefield 3 sales:
Battlefield 4 sales:

Some good points, I guess the websites I was on were a little off in date. What I ment "shook the FPS world" is that in 2009 most people probably never heard of Battlefield, including me. But seeing that 15 million people, 4 million more than what Battlefield 2 sold, shows that some people are recognizing and seeing this as a promising game. I am a bit disappointed to see how poorly Battlefield 4 sold, but like you said for both games it's most Likly console switching that caused it. But it should also say that, like Call of Duty, Battlefield will have its ups and downs. Eventually CoD will choke, I heard Black Ops 3 is gonna come out. If you misinterpret what this ment I mean that all of CoD fans want more so fast that Activison can't take the nesesary time to craft and make Call of Duty a masterpiece. Which is what EA does. They take at least two years to make a game and they succeed ALMOST everytime.

Actually, Battlefield 2 only sold around 2,5 million copies. You were probably referring to Battlefield 3's predecessor, Battlefield Bad Company 2, but that game sold around 12 million copies, which is only 2,5 million copies less. While you may be tempted to say that 'this means Battlefield always sold alot', it also means that the 'rise to power' is not going as fast as you thought, and that Battlefield 3 was not as big a revolution as you seem to believe it was (I'm not going to deny that it was quite revolutionary in terms of graphic, but we're talking sales here). Furthermore, as I have shown in the last round, the rise was short lived.

'it's most Likly console switching that caused it' I obviously agree with that, but what I was trying to show you is that the transition from 7th gen to 8th gen consoles hurt Battlefield's sales more than CoD's sales. This shows that the Battlefield fanbase is perhaps more 'fragile' than CoD's, making it unlikely that it will become the #1 FPS.

"Eventually CoD will choke" is an empty assertion. The CoD franchise seems pretty healthy to me, and the argument that people will get tired of this game is not very convincing since there are always new gamers who never bought a single CoD game who will be more attracted by Call of Duty's arcade style than by Battlefield's realism(-ish). I feel like most people prefer fast-paced action than slow and realistic action (but that's just a feeling, not a fact).

Again, you are misinformed; you say that EA takes two years to make their games and that Activision takes less (I'm assuming you're referring to the fact that a new CoD comes out each year). The thing is, Activision does not actually make the games, Treyarch and Infinity Ward do, and they don't work on the same game. That means that each CoD game is being worked on for at least two years.

And I find it odd that you would say that EA takes the time to make a masterpiece, when Battlefield 4 was heavily criticized for having numerous technical issues.

I wish you luck for your last round.

Well I'm beat. I'll be honest I came in this debate as a rookie. I just wanted to see the masters at work. And I think what I should've said was 'Battlefield has the potential of becoming big'
You've won good job.

Well thank you for this debate, you have honestly done a pretty good job.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
lol "See the masters at work". I doubt burncastle can be claimed as a master, her elos below average.
Posted by iAm_GrKelly 2 years ago
Usually it depends on how many are sold, as well as ratings, dlc, graphics, gameplay, theres many facotrs but those are the most dominant
Posted by revic 2 years ago
I love battlefield, and i'm holding a similar debate too!
Posted by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
What attributes must be achieved for you to call it the 'number one fps'?
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: concession