bigtree
Nails

Be It Resolved That a Non-Mac PC is better than a Mac PC

Started: 12/16/2009 Category: Technology

bigtree

Pro

Salutations to all who are reading this. I have started this debate to discuss a topic I find to be of utmost importance: Be It Resolved That a Non-Mac PC is better than a Mac PC. I am arguing the Pro side and believe that this resolution must most definitely stand.

I will first define the terms of the resolution. A PC is defined as a Personal Computing unit, a non-Mac PC is defined as any PC which is not fabricated by Apple Computers Inc, and a Mac PC is defined as any PC which is fabricated by Apple Computers Inc. Hereonin, let "Mac" represent any non-Mac PC and let "PC" represent any Mac PC.

I will now state my three main contentions: that (C1) Macs lack the customizability that PCs offer, that (C2) Macs rip their users off with false promises, and that (C3) Macs have no valid advantage over PC, while PCs do have many valid advantages over Macs.

I will now elaborate on my first contention. My other two contentions will be elaborated upon after my worthy opponent's first argument. My first contention, to reiterate, is that Macs lack the customizability that PCs offer. Let's begin by talking about the software part. Mac's OS line has consistently blocked users from customizing their Mac's interface and functionality. Apple does not allow users to change the color scheme or replace default software with more functional third-party, for example. Windows and Linux, the two leading non-Mac Operating Systems, offer users with many customization abilities. The color scheme is 100% customizable, and default software such as Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player can be replaced with superior software like Opera, Chrome, Winamp and VLC. Hardware-wise, PCs offer far more customization options. For example, you can build a PC from scratch in the way you desire, and run any non-Mac OS on it. Mac does not allow you to do this. It is illegal to run Mac OS on a system you built yourself. Furthermore, you can hardly customize your existing Mac system, while you can fully customize your PC.

It is for these reasons and reasons I will state in the future that I believe this resolution must, most definitely, stand.
Nails

Con

"Hereonin, let 'Mac' represent any non-Mac PC and let 'PC' represent any Mac PC."

I am defending 'Mac PC's over 'non-Mac PC's, as per the resolution. Thus, I am defending PCs over Macs, according to my opponent's above quote.

I offer these 3 contentions:

(C1) Macs lack the customizability that PCs offer,
(C2) Macs rip their users off with false promises, and
(C3) Macs have no valid advantage over PC, while PCs do have many valid advantages over Macs.

PRO has elaborated on my first contention. My other two contentions will be elaborated upon after my worthy opponent's next argument.
bigtree

Pro

I apologize for my silly mistake. I would like to correct my argument by repairing the definition. Hereonin, let "Mac" represent any Mac PC and let "PC" represent any non-Mac PC. I stand waiting for my opponent's argument.
Nails

Con

I'm glad we got that settled and out of the way. I honestly thought PRO would pull that one sentence out in the last round or something to try to win. Well, with that cleared up, hopefully we can have a meaningful debate.

<> Contention 1 : Versatility <>

Mac's can run eith Mac OS or Windows OS. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for PC.[1] My opponent talks about versatility as his first (and only, so far) contention. I would be hard-pressed to believe that you can get any more customizable than this. If the new Windows 7 OS has more/better options, owners of a Mac can simply use that Operating System. If a stellar new Apple OS is released, PC users will just have to go buy a Mac.

<> Contention 2 : Reboot <>

Short and sweet: Macs can stay on for weeks/months without any need to reboot. PCs can't.[1]

<> Contention 3 : Customer Support <>

Apple's tech support is far superior to any PC's. Apple has consistently outperformed PC in terms of quality service, and if you're in a much better position if your Mac malfunctions than if your PC does, because Apple is #1 in Customer Service rankings.[2][3][4]

<> Contention 4 : Viruses <>

I currently own a PC. I know how much of a problem viruses can be frequently be. I have younger siblings who use my computer frequently and won't hesitate to click on some banner ad because they were lucky enough to be the 999,999th visitor. As a result, my computer has had its share of complete malfunctions.

This is a major benefit of Macs: they get far fewer viruses than PCs do.[5][6][7]

This is primarily because those counter-culturists who actually write these viruses target Windows far more. It is the posterboy for Big Business and monopoly, basically everything that makes these guys tick. Not only that, but it is far more widely used, its operating system is far more well-known, it is much simpler to code a virus for, and it is all-around easier to screvv with.[5][7]

<><><><><>
<> Rebuttal <>
<><><><><>

1. Prove it. PRO has made numerous claims about Macs vs PCs. Hopefully next round he will be able to divulge his sources that show these claims to be true.

2. As I said in my contention one, buy a Mac computer and you can run these 'more customizable' operating systems if you wish, but if you don't like them, you can fall back on Apple's OS. The same is not true of PCs; my opponent admits in his first speech that one can only run 'non-mac OS on it.' This intersystem customizability supercedes any intrasystem advantage that PC has going for it.

3. My opponent primarily talks about color. However, Macs' color can be customized in multiple ways.[8][9][0]

4. Show me one Mac that is genuinely upset about his lack of color options, and I'll show you 100 PCs who've wasted hours of their lives finding their prefered color scheme. The costs of this excessive customizability outweigh the benefits.

[1] http://www.makeuseof.com...
[2] http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com...
[3] http://www.macworld.com...
[4] http://www.jdpower.com...
[5] http://www.techguideblog.com...
[6] http://www.usatoday.com...
[7] http://www.sophos.com...
[8] http://www.iskin.com...
[9] http://www.macobserver.com...
[0] http://www.laptopskins.net...
bigtree

Pro

Good evening, I am going to keep it short and sweet.
I would like to first clash with my opponent's arguments:

"Mac's can run either Mac OS or Windows OS. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for PC.[1]" - Although it is true that you can't legally run Mac OS X EASILY on a PC, it is possible. [1] The fact that Apple can run Windows is unimpressive, as it is simply a variant on Dual Booting, which has been with PC since the very beginning. In fact, that Macs haven't been able to run Windows until recently is quite a sad fact. Also, the fact that Apple is trying to stop PC users from running Mac OS on their PCs is also sad, and proves their attempt on an Apple monopoly, forcing users to have to buy their problematic computers to run their OS.

"Short and sweet: Macs can stay on for weeks/months without any need to reboot. PCs can't.[1]" - The computer I am typing on has been running for over a year without a reboot (running Windows XP), so this argument is obviously problematic.

"Apple's tech support is far superior to any PC's. Apple has consistently outperformed PC in terms of quality service, and if you're in a much better position if your Mac malfunctions than if your PC does, because Apple is #1 in Customer Service rankings." - So? That does not prove why the computers themselves are better. Sure the tech support might be better, but that's got nothing to do with the quality of the computer.

"This is a major benefit of Macs: they get far fewer viruses than PCs do." - Fewer, yes, but more devastating and harder to get rid of. My PC, which runs a regularly updated version of avast! antivirus, has not received one virus since I got it 4 years ago. My friend's Mac, which he bought last year, got a virus two months ago which wiped his hard drive. Mac viruses are far more devastating, and harder to block. Security in a Mac is flawed to the extreme. Mac even recently lost in a hacking contest [2].

"Prove it." [3][4][5]

"As I said in my contention one, buy a Mac computer and you can run these 'more customizable' operating systems if you wish, but if you don't like them, you can fall back on Apple's OS. The same is not true of PCs; my opponent admits in his first speech that one can only run 'non-mac OS on it.' This intersystem customizability supercedes any intrasystem advantage that PC has going for it." - I rebutted this statement already, look up!

"My opponent primarily talks about color. However, Macs' color can be customized in multiple ways" - Mac does not allow you to completely customize your color. Windows 7, for example, lets you customize it 100%.

"Show me one Mac that is genuinely upset about his lack of color options, and I'll show you 100 PCs who've wasted hours of their lives finding their prefered color scheme. The costs of this excessive customizability outweigh the benefits." - I show you my friend, Amyn Bana. Please return a list of 100 names of PC users who have wasted 2+ hours on finding their preferred color scheme. I, for one, spent about 25 seconds getting it perfect. After that, I never touched it.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that my opponent did not clash with the fact that default software cannot be replaced. Also, my opponent has not offered any original contentions as to why Macs are better than PCs.

Anyways, I will now elaborate on my remaining contentions.

My second contention is that Macs rip their users off with false promises. For one, they have horridly flawed advertisements. According to a Apple Mac advertisement [6], Macs don't get viruses or freeze. This, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the most blatant lies I have heard from a company. Macs can get viruses. [7] Macs freeze [8]. Obviously, this is a false advertisement. Mac users are spending far more money on a Mac under the impression that they are safe from viruses. Most of them believe they need no antivirus. Then they get a virus. That sucks, doesn't it? Also, Macs cost hundreds to thousands of dollars than PCs. People are buying these computers believing they are getting a better computer, when in reality a $2000 Mac machine is just as good as a $1200 HP. [9]

Macs have no valid advantage over PC, while PCs do have many valid advantages over Macs. PCs can do nearly everything a Mac can do, while a Mac can't do nearly as much as a PC. For example, lets look at software. First of all, software for Mac is on average cheaper than software for PC. [9] Second of all, nearly every software application is available for Windows. Only 5% of software is available for Mac. Another advantage PC has is its userbase. More people = more support and more software. Macs are also terrible for networking. Nearly every web host and ISP is run off of a PC, whether it's Windows or Linux. Also, PCs are cheaper: Linux is free, hardware costs way less, etc.

It is for these reasons and the ones I stated earlier that I believe this resolution must stand!

[1]http://oreilly.com...
[2]http://www.itworld.com...
[3]http://nerdynick.wordpress.com...
[4]http://collegetimes.us...
[5]http://www.squidoo.com...
[6]http://www.apple.com...
[7]http://www.iantivirus.com...
[8] http://discussions.apple.com...
[9] http://bestbuy.com...
Nails

Con

--"Good evening, I am going to keep it short and sweet."

No he isn't, he typed over 6,000 characters.

<> Contention 1 : Versatility <>

--"Although it is true that you can't legally run Mac OS X EASILY on a PC, it is possible."

It requires a very complicated installation process and a deep knowledge of computer programming.[1]
More importantly...it's illegal.

--"that Macs haven't been able to run Windows until recently is quite a sad fact."

I personally don't lose any sleep over it...

Maybe PRO could have won this debate 'until recently,' but he can't anymore because this contention stands.

<> Contention 2 : Reboot <>

--"The computer I am typing on has been running for over a year without a reboot (running Windows XP), so this argument is obviously problematic."

PRO's testimony in his own debate vs. an actual cited source

I don't think his argument holds much water.

<> Contention 3 : Customer Support <>

--"Sure the tech support might be better, but that's got nothing to do with the quality of the computer."

Assuming your computer never brakes, this has no bearing. Unfortunately, software malfunctions all too often, in which case having quality customer support is very important.

PRO never contested this.

<> Contention 4 : Viruses <>

--"Fewer [viruses], yes, but more devastating and harder to get rid of."
--"Mac viruses are far more devastating, and harder to block. Security in a Mac is flawed to the extreme.:

Since when? PRO is just making unwarranted assertions here. If this were actually true, why couldn't he find a source?

--"Mac even recently lost in a hacking contest"

If you read the article, you'll find that the top hackers in the country couldn't even hack it until they removed safety restrictions. But maybe for some reason PRO is right. Maybe people could hack the Mac easier if they tried, but they don't. Do any research at all and you'll find that Macs have far fewer viruses, it's one of their biggest perks.

<><><><><>
<> Rebuttal <>
<><><><><>

<> Contention 1: Customizability <>

--" I rebutted this statement already, look up!"

And I unrebutted that statement, you can look that up also.

--"I show you my friend, Amyn Bana. Please return a list of 100 names of PC users who have wasted 2+ hours on finding their preferred color scheme. I, for one, spent about 25 seconds getting it perfect. After that, I never touched it."

It's a shame my opponent had to be a smart @ss, because he completely missed the point of my argument.

1. Nobody cares that their menu bar is magenta and not chartreuse. This extra coustomizability is useless.
2. Given the ability to randomly select between colors for hours, people will select between colors for hours.

His personal testimony of some friend changes nothing.

<> Contention 2: False Promises <>

--"According to a Apple Mac advertisement [6], Macs don't get viruses or freeze."

Pro never posts a link to this supposed advertisement. His link is to the homepage of all Mac adds, and I can't be bothered to sift through 100 of them to find the one he is refering to if he can't.

<> Contention 3: Valid Advantages <>

--"Macs have no valid advantage over PC"

Except for the 4 I elaborated on in my contentions.

<><><><><><><>
<> The Summary <>
<><><><><><><>

PRO argues that you should buy a PC:
(1) Because they have a better color scheme
(2) Because he doesn't like their adds

I think the manifold benefits of Mac outweigh this slightly:
(1) Macs can run PC's software, though PCs can't run Mac's
(2) Macs need not reboot regularly
(3) Apple has the #1 customer support team
(4) Macs get far fewer viruses than PC

[1] http://oreilly.com...
Posted by bigtree 7 years ago
bigtree
I did keep it short and sweet. If I didn't I would have typed so much more. LOL ;)
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
Haha, you can imagine how many times I've used that pun
Posted by theOverman 7 years ago
theOverman
Shut down.
As in nailed.
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
I'm not sure what that means. Could you give an example?
Posted by dpflames786 7 years ago
dpflames786
Pro's arguments varied, while Con was continually saying the same things that Pro had already shut down.
Posted by bigtree 7 years ago
bigtree
Now why didn't I bring that up in the debate? *facepalm*
Posted by daniel_t 7 years ago
daniel_t
There you go, now you got it. Compare two particular models of computer and tell us what the purpose they are being bought for, *then* you might be able to make a meaningful debate.
Posted by bigtree 7 years ago
bigtree
More with the dell, I mean
Posted by bigtree 7 years ago
bigtree
A passionfruit of the same price, I mean.
Posted by bigtree 7 years ago
bigtree
Too many things wrong with that post, Daniel_t....
I feel like i'm being a jackass...

Both have 4GB DDR RAM- No, they have DDR3 RAM.
In a laptop, smaller screens are more expensive. The Dell is much smaller than the mac. That raises the price. You are unfairly comparing two different sizes of computer. Its like comparing the amount of nutrition you get from a 100g orange to what you get from a 50g passionfruit of the same size.
The Dell is lighter and smaller and is meant for portability, kinda like a netbook.
Um... software-wise... so does Windows. It's got even more in it. Plus McAfee.

Let's FAIRLY compare two computers.

Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" MC118LL/A ($1799.99)
vs
Dell Studio 15.6" SX16-5745F ($1399.99)

Macbook Pro's processor is the same as Dell's, except Macbook's speed is only .4 GHz faster
Dell has 4GB of DDR3 RAM while Macbook has 4GB of DDR2 RAM
Macbook has 250GB SATA-5400 HD, Dell has 500GB SATA-7200 HD
Macbook has 8x slot-load drive, Dell has 16x slot-load drive
Macbook has nVidia GeForce 9400M (512MB) gfx while Dell has ATI Radeon M96XT (1GB)
Macbook has Apple Audio (no subwoofer) while Dell has IDT 92HD73C HDA w/ Subwoofer
Dell has HDMI, Macbook doesn't
Dell has 8-in-1 card reader, Macbook has nothing
Macbook has 6 hrs battery life, Dell has 3
They weigh the same despit the Dell being .5 inches bigger diagonally
Dell Wifi-802.11a/g/n, Macbook Wifi-802.11a only

Need I say more? Obviously, though you are paying $400 less, you are getting more.
Vote Placed by home_of_the_brave 6 years ago
home_of_the_brave
bigtreeNailsTied
Vote Placed by cjlopez213 6 years ago
cjlopez213
bigtreeNailsTied
Vote Placed by RazaMobizo 6 years ago
RazaMobizo
bigtreeNailsTied
Vote Placed by FranklinR 7 years ago
FranklinR
bigtreeNailsTied
Vote Placed by XStrikeX 7 years ago
XStrikeX
bigtreeNailsTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
bigtreeNailsTied
Vote Placed by Steelerman6794 7 years ago
Steelerman6794
bigtreeNailsTied
Vote Placed by kingofslash5 7 years ago
kingofslash5
bigtreeNailsTied
Vote Placed by mcala7 7 years ago
mcala7
bigtreeNailsTied
Vote Placed by vthokie 7 years ago
vthokie
bigtreeNailsTied