Mr.Big_is_Bud_Good
awesomeperson

Be it Resolved: Morning represents an ove-representation of the clock dial.

Mr.Big_is_Bud_Good

Pro

Hello fellow appreciators of intellectual discourse. This is my first attempt at debate here at DDO. Thank you for your kind consideration of my inexperience.
I will start out with a softball discussion on why I feel that "Morning" represents an overabundance of the clock dial as opposed to afternoon, evening, or night.
I feel that 12:01 am until 11:59 am (a full 12 hours) is just to much to classify as one time period. after all, afternoon only lasts for 6 hours (12:01 pm - 5:59 pm) and who knows how long evening lasts, let alone night?
Therefore I put up for debate, Be it Resolved: Morning represents an over-representation of the clock dial.
Thanks s again for your patience with a noob.
awesomeperson

Con

Morning (12:01 am - 11:59 am) is actually a very useful and practical way to segment the day. The clock division you mention is currently set up to divide the day into common activity periods.

Morning - represents the part of the clock which includes preparation for the day. (sleeping, preparing for work, etc.)
Afternoon - represents the work section of the day.
Evening - represents the period of the day which most other non-work related activities take place.
Night - represents the time which people generally retire from major activities.

While the actual times which these activities take place vary greatly from person to person, these divisions mark the periods when the majority of the population is partaking in the specified activity. These four states are the only divisions which can be guaranteed for almost every person in the world, which is why they are so universally used. While most people do not sleep and prepare for the day from exactly 12:01 - 11:59, it is, in fact, a decent estimation for the average person.
Mr.Big_is_Bud_Good

Pro

Thank You awesomeperson for presenting your well thought out and eloquent response.
I welcome the challenge of your valid arguments.
I do feel however that your arguments failed to address the over-representation of the term "Morning" on the clock dial.
From 12:01 am until 11:59 am may very well be the most abundant time designated by the majority of people in western society to "prepare for the day", if one were to define sleeping as a preparation for anything. but this argument does not address why a full 12 hours are dedicated to "Morning" and smaller proportions of time are dedicated to, Afternoon (12:01 P.M. until 5:00 P.M.), Evening (5:01 P.M. until 8:00 P.M.), and Night (8:01 P.M. until Midnight) *See Reference #1*
It is my contention that the screaming mother could more effectively make her point to the drunken teenager coming home at 3:30 am by belting out the words "Do you know what time it is? it's 3:30 at night!" rather than "3:30 in the morning" being as the term morning infers a period of time after sunrise *See second definition in reference #2*
My argument is that an even distribution of time periods would remove any ambiguity as to what part of the day it really is. something to the effect of 4 equal periods representing different parts of the day 5:01 am - 10:59 am "Morning", 11:01 am - 4:59 pm "Afternoon", 5:01 pm - 10:59 pm "Evening, and 11:01 pm - 4:59 am "Night"
This way the final word echoing around in the poor drunken teenagers head is "Night!"
Besides, it's not fair to the other time periods that "Morning" gets the lions share of the clock dial. If anything, "Morning" deserves less of a share of the clock dial being as it can be the least productive part of the day. (not quite awake, etc.)

Reference #1
http://www.say-it-in-english.com...

Reference #2
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Thank you for challenging my position.
awesomeperson

Con

awesomeperson forfeited this round.
Mr.Big_is_Bud_Good

Pro

Your failure to refute my claims suggests that you can not dispute the arguments that I have put forward.
Nor have you given me any counter arguments to refute. Therefore I stand by my earlier arguments.
Thank you for your continued challenge of my position
awesomeperson

Con

awesomeperson forfeited this round.
Posted by Mr.Big_is_Bud_Good 5 years ago
Mr.Big_is_Bud_Good
One Vote, any vote, would make a difference. Perhaps I lost this debate, but to loose to an opponent who forfeited two rounds would be embarrassing. Thanks for voting. :-)
Mr.Big_is_Bud_Good
Darn awesomeperson, I didn't stand a chance with that argument, you could of beat me with one arm tied behind your back. my premise was weak and All I really wanted to do was get some experience at debating. Oh well, maybe next time. Thanks for your efforts.
Posted by nonentity 5 years ago
nonentity
Why does "morning" start at 12:01am? Do you sleep "at night" or "in the morning"?