Murphy2112
michaeltaffe3

Be it resolved that youth are too apathetic and narcissistic to make a difference in the world.

Murphy2112

Pro

First round to accept
michaeltaffe3

Con

I honestly can't believe you put this in writing and are serious about this. Millions of youth across the world are making a huge difference on the planet as a whole (i.e. a whole lot more than you ever will). As an argument I will list examples and their stories but let it be known that there are countless more out there making a difference every day.
  1. Robby Novak, better known by the nickname Kid President, is an American comedian, motivational speaker, TED speaker, and a YouTube sensation, interviewing Beyoncé, Andrew WK, Pen Ward, Rainn Wilson, Ban Ki-Moon, and others.
  2. Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani school pupil and education activist from the town of Mingore. She is known for her education and women's rights activism in the Swat Valley, where the Taliban had at times banned girls from attending school.
  3. At the ripe age of 9, Dylan Mahalingam co-founded Lil' MDG's, a non profit international development and youth empowerment organization and an initiative of Jayme's Fund. Lil' MDGs mission is to leverage the power of the digital media to engage children in the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.
  4. In 1998, 6-year-old Ryan Hreljac was shocked to learn that children in Africa had to walk many kilometers every day just to fetch water. Ryan decided he needed to build a well for a village in Africa. By doing household chores and public speaking on clean water issues, Ryan’s first well was built in 1999 at the Angolo Primary School in a northern Ugandan village. Ryan’s determination led to Ryan's Well Foundation which has completed 667 projects in 16 countries, bringing access to clean water and sanitation to more than 714,000 people.

And there are so many more out there! Just because you are ignorant and don't see the difference, doesn't mean it's not there. You can't see air but it keeps us alive. You have probably never seen Divine Bradley in person before, but that doesn't stop the fact that he changed his Brooklyn community forever by building a children's center in half of his home.

Your statement that children are narcissistic is a generalization that cannot be taken seriously because that is your opinion. Many of the celebrated kings and presidents that have gone down in history as people who changed their countries were bathed in lavish riches. Would that not make them narcissistic because they want to look the best all the time?

And the idea that kids can't really care about anything or show enthusiasm for changing the world is completely false. In fact, most of the kids I know want nothing more than to make a positive difference in the world.

However, I can see why you would make these comments about minors in leadership roles. You are insecure because you never felt you could make a difference as a child, and even now. You feel as though today's youth are making a difference that you could never make; they are making a monumental impact on society as a whole. I'm not saying we should elect a ten-year old as president, but that doesn't mean a person can't make a difference in the world.

I have now given significant examples of youth who have made a difference in the world today. I look forward to rebutting your argument.
Murphy2112

Pro

Murphy2112 forfeited this round.
michaeltaffe3

Con

Okay? Do you just not want to debate this topic anymore? If you do please post an argument.
Murphy2112

Pro

Yes you did list many of people that are great people and doing great stuff, and yes
That might be a couple of the people in our generation that a good people as the examples you listed.
Those people are doing good stuff but that barley makes up any of are generation seriously most of us are just people that sit behind computer screens all day and are LAZY.
Recently there has been many surveys taken, these show that since 1982 Levels in narcissism had risen by 30% .

Also we all realize that in this new generation we have been exposed to very much more garbage influences .
Such as tv shows we watch these are shows such as jersey shore. This does influence us to be like them in some extent which is a factor to some of the percents listed above. This is because without a doubt the people on those shows are the representation of the new generation for new kids and everybody , they influence everybody!

One of the quotes you listed like this"You can't see air but it keeps us alive" This is completely irrelevant to this topic.
This is what i strongly believe
Heres my source for some of my information
http://family.wikinut.com...
michaeltaffe3

Con

1) The statistic that narcissism is on a rise is irrelevant. This could include all age groups and is a moot point.

2) In the second paragraph of your argument in Round three, you specifically say, "This is because without a doubt the people on those shows are the representation of the new generation for new kids and everybody , they influence everybody!" you clearly admit that youth make a difference in the world.

3) My example of air was, um, an example. It showed that because you are not affected by the youth in our world, it doesn't mean they aren't making a difference.

Thank you, and I hope that now you understand how wrong you are. Try and make a difference in your world it is never to late. (Make it a positive one.)

Thanks for debating!

Xtraordinary.com
kidpresident.com (this is a really awesome website you should view)
Posted by Murphy2112 3 years ago
Murphy2112
Sorry for the late response and the forfeit i was away with no wifi so it forfeited automatically
Posted by SergeantUnicorn 3 years ago
SergeantUnicorn
If Murphy isn't talking about what I stated below, well Murphy... You better step up your game. ;)
Posted by SergeantUnicorn 3 years ago
SergeantUnicorn
I think was Murphy is trying to say is that the amount of kids making a difference is decreasing. I mean, you have to agree right? Day after day, later generations (I should know cause I'm a kid) has been plunging deeper and deeper into the time of technology. Countries such as Africa, Vietnam, etc. fortunately, has not been blighted with the laziness and the narcissistic trait. The US and other economy strong countries have kids or are slowly plunging into an age of "sit, click, and eat." I'm not going to deny that there are still, many loving and kind hearts out there, but I think that you also shouldn't deny that kids are decreasing in moral strength. If you wish not to believe me, go to an elementary school, where kids' minds SHOULD be at their creativity's prime, but are instead, engulfed by the new age of technology indulgement. (Not sure if the last sentence made sense or not... lol)
Posted by michaeltaffe3 3 years ago
michaeltaffe3
I now see that I was supposed to accept in the first round. I fully apologize. I was just so ready to debate I got ahead of myself. I will give you the second round free without me putting anything until the third round.
i.e. second round: make your initial points; third round: you rebutt my points and I will rebutt yours
Posted by michaeltaffe3 3 years ago
michaeltaffe3
I think it is great if he is using this site to practice for school. My main reason for joining and debating was to practice for my high school team (apart from the fun of extemporaneous speaking and the art of debate of course)
Posted by Ehlka 3 years ago
Ehlka
murphy are you using this debate just to steal information for the debate in school. because i know you do not side with this resolution.
Vote Placed by rajun 3 years ago
rajun
Murphy2112michaeltaffe3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I thought about giving conduct to Pro as Pro said first round to accept but Con posted his arguments... as for arguments, saying the first round arguments to be null and void... Both require some practice...